OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

Old February 2nd 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Christine BA" wrote in message
2.2.2010 1:13, MatSav kirjoitti:

Incidentally, it's got me thinking about any correlation between
IQ and feline slavedom. I wonder if there is any? Why wouldn't a
superior species seek out the more intelligent members of our own
race? :-)

I don't think I'd be accepted at Mensa, and I'm sure there are more of
us even among the regulars of this news group too. So there goes that
theory...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

As I have mentioned in another post, not being accepted at Mensa (and you
could be wrong about that) doesn't mean you aren't intelligent. Also, a
correlation seldom holds true 100%. When I worked in the security
department of a classified program, the engineers working on the program,
most of whom were highly intelligent, often had to sign for classified
documents. I noticed that a large percentage of them were left-handed.
I wondered at that time if there might be some correlation between
left-handedness and intelligence. A few months after I had that thought,
I attended a Mensa convention. One of the speakers mentioned that
studies have shown that the percentage of left-handed people among the
highly intelligent is significantly higher than that of the average
population. He also mentioned that the same is true for people with Down
Syndrome.

Joy

I've also heard that left-handed people do very well in math and music
(and puzzles, which is mostly what gets you into Mensa). I know it held
true for my daughter - she was in honors calculus and was asked to play
her solo trumpet rendition of "Georgia on My Mind" at Southeast Louisiana
University when she was still a sophomore in high school. Listening to
that tape can still bring tears to my eyes, it just gave me chills inside
and took my breath away - it was that kind of good.

But you see, that's why the organization works for some people - sometimes
geeks just have fun with other geeks who "get them" and get each others'
jokes. Leslie Stahl did a piece on "us" he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUcs...layer_embedded (part
1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jtr...layer_embedded (part
2)

It's especially good for *KID* geeks who often feel picked on and
pressured and can live very isolated lives (especially when, like me, my
dad died at age 4 and my mother, bless her heart, is just not very bright
and never "got" me - although she allowed me to sort of take over running
the household right after my dad died). I learned how to read when I was
not quite two years old (and learned chess and canasta from my dad before
he died). I have a mental picture of me sitting on a bowling alley
bench - my little feet in their shiny patent leather shoes and lacey socks
not quite reaching the edge of the bench (I was small for my age as well).
One of my mom's bowling buddies saw me sitting there with my book, "Black
Beauty", and said "She's just pretending, she can't really read". So I
started to read out loud for her until my mom told me to shut up.

I didn't have a single friend in school since the first grade when my
teacher asked the class who could spell "cat" and I waved my hand in the
air, stood up and said, "I can spell antidisestablishmentarianism... A, N,
T, I...". My teacher yelled "SHUT UP! You're getting an "F" for the day
for speaking out of turn". One look around and I saw every other child in
class glaring and some sticking their tongues out at me. Granted I was a
little know-it-all, but I always just liked to impart knowledge and
couldn't understand why people didn't appreciate learning new things.

Anyway.... that's enough about Mensa - it's good for some, not good for
others, and like a lot of things in life it can be whatever you make it to
be.

And, as my mother would say, revenge always comes cold, because my son is
much, MUCH smarter than I am. I'm sure I told this story before, but it
tickles me, so here it is again. When Mark was about 10 months old he not
only was walking but he was talking... in sentences. I was in the
bathroom to brush my teeth and looked down and saw the toothpaste tube did
not have a cap on it. I got angry and started yelling, "look at this, I
just bought this toothpaste and now it's going to get hard and ruined, and
we can't afford to go around buying new tubes of toothpaste just because
somebody doesn't put the cap back on...etc." Mark walked into the
bathroom, right past me to the wastebasket, took the old, used tube of
toothpaste out of the wastebasket, unscrewed the cap and handed it to me
and said, "Mommy use dis?"

I knew then that I was in big, BIG trouble! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped ----- feeling very philosophical today for some reason! ;

Yes, it can be very lonely when you're smarter than your classmates, but
it's scary when your kids are smarter than you. ;-)

I'm grateful to my parents for a lot of things, but the one thing I'm most
grateful for is that they didn't agree when the principle wanted to skip me
two grades. I took enough teasing because I was from two months to a year
younger than most of my classmates. My life would have been pure hell if
I'd been two or three years younger than they were.

Incidentally, you're obviously smarter than I am. I didn't learn to read
until I was four. That Christmas, my parents gave me a copy of Bambi. I
read it straight through, then started at the beginning again. I was on my
fourth time through it before my mother realized what I was doing. She felt
I shouldn't keep reading the same thing, so she took the book away. Later I
was given others. I've been an avid reader all my life.

Joy

Old February 2nd 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Jofirey wrote:

One of the brightest women I worked with had a unique skill typical of
many who are left handed. Electronic calculators were a large part of
our work. Optimally they are used with your right hand, in much the same
way the qwerty keyboard favors right handedness.

She could write with her left hand and run the calculator with her right
hand at the same time. She didn't see it as any big deal, but it was
really something to watch.

Jo

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous, ducks and runs. ;-)

LOL!

I'd love to be ambidextrous too. I'm mostly right-handed, although I always
hold the phone and blow my nose with my left hand. I think I learned to do
that so I could write or do other things at the same time. I have hay
fever, so it comes in handy to have my right hand free when I'm blowing my
nose. ;-)

Joy

Old February 2nd 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
No cluons were harmed when Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I was in Mensa briefly. Interesting scene if your hobby is collecting
neurotics.

Not *all* of us are neurotic - there's the 2% of us who aren't (big
grin).

I'm a Life Member, and have been a member for over 30 years. Mensa has
been like family for me.

GOOD GOSH CHARLIE BROWN!!! I was surprised when I found out that yearly
membership had gone up to $59. I was completely BLOWN AWAY to find out
that lifetime membership now costs $923. That's nine HUNDRED and twenty
three DOLLARS!!!

Um, no thanks, I don't *have* that much lifetime left to warrant *that*
price!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

The dues for lifetime membership are based on your age. I guess they
estimate how long they think you'll live. ;-) For me, it would be quite a
bit less than $923, but it's still too much for me, especially since the
only benefit I feel I'd receive now is the national magazine, which I do
miss.

Joy

Old February 3rd 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

but if there were a group for street smart and common sense you would be a
charter member in my book, Lee
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 4:21 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

I'm ambidextrous but just take it for granted and I have never
operated an
adding machine in my life but it sure helps you type fast. Once in
awhile
someone will notice and say, "Hey, I thought you were righthanded". I
have been told being able to use either hand for most things can
result
from your 'rents forcing you to change to right if you show signs of
left
handedness when little. I think that is why I am, as they did that.
I have major trouble trying to, as Yowie put so delicately, grasp why
anyone would care what a group of people like that club thinks of them
in the first place. I would never make Mensa...as if.
I am still trying to figure out WTF a "Dove square": is since AFAIK it
is
an expensive soap that smells great and this makes no sense at all in
the thread about weight gaining.
Being ambidextrous does NOT mean you are smart.

Old February 3rd 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when CatNipped wrote:
GOOD GOSH CHARLIE BROWN!!! I was surprised when I found out that yearly
membership had gone up to $59. I was completely BLOWN AWAY to find
out that lifetime membership now costs $923. That's nine HUNDRED and
twenty three DOLLARS!!!

old_fogey_moment
When I joined in 1977, membership was $20.
/old_fogey_moment

I also paid for lifetime membership 10 years ago when it was cheaper and I
had a windfall to pay for it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old February 3rd 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 4:21 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

***

Of course not. However, it doesn't mean you aren't smart either.

A Dove square is an expensive form of an ice cream bar without a stick.
It's about 3 or 4 inches square and an inch to an inch and a half thick. It
is high quality vanilla ice cream with a generous coating of real chocolate
(as opposed to the waxy stuff that coats regular ice cream bars). It is
rather expensive and quite good - also brimming over with calories. ;-)

Joy

Old February 3rd 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when Joy wrote:
Yes, it can be very lonely when you're smarter than your classmates, but
it's scary when your kids are smarter than you. ;-)

Both my girls are very smart, but made some qustionable decisions (like I
haven't - grin) a few years ago. We all have the same sense of humor and
think a lot alike.

I used to joke that we all shared the same brain and that it was my turn
to use it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old February 3rd 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

have been told being able to use either hand for most things can
result
from your 'rents forcing you to change to right if you show signs of
left
handedness when little. I think that is why I am, as they did that.

I didn't think that was still done in the 20th century!! Horrible.
Doing this has been shown to cause neurological disorders in some
people, eg, stuttering.

I am still trying to figure out WTF a "Dove square": is since AFAIK it
is
an expensive soap that smells great and this makes no sense at all in
the thread about weight gaining.

LOL!!!! A "Dove Bar" is an ice cream bar with chocolate covering.
Google it and you'll see. I'm not sure what a Dove *square* is, as
opposed to a *bar*, maybe shape is the only difference.

Joyce

--
Speak your mind even if your voice cracks while you're saying it.
Old February 3rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

letting the cats run the house is the ultimate street smart/survival
instinct... if you don't you know they can kill you in your sleep and simply
because they are fond of you choose not to... I am glad you bonded with such
a nice mancat
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 6:04 pm, "Stormmee" wrote:
[...]

Why thank you, Lee. But does someone who lets their cat run what goes
on
in their house have "common sense"? And the Snag does not have
street smarts, as he was "hauled to the hoosegow" by my local animal
shelter from the other end of town. He and I met and bonded in the
hoosegow. He *could* have been roadkill but now he lives large, as is
said.

Old February 3rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
On Feb 2, 4:21 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Nor does it mean your teachers were. I remember the teacher forcing all
of us to use the right hand in writing class. My DIL is left handed and
she insisted that her first born was left handed too. When he wanted to
eat with his right hand she would put the spoon in his left hand. He is
now ambidextrous. MLB