Us Brits are expecting a hurricane

Old October 28th 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Us Brits are expecting a hurricane

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 18:39:32 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Similar to the 1987 one, overnight. Boyfie and myself are tucked up
safely
in the house, so no need to worry about us.
Whether it will happen, I don't know. It might do, our weather
forecasters
are quite good.

I'll tell you tomorrow. If I have power..

Tweed

According to My Fair Lady, won't happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQpoyfbWJ0

Well, it did, John.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Old October 28th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I think the point of the post was we should be sending purrs
to folks in the UK. They're not used to "hurricanes".

*Parts* of the UK. This one hasn't got anywhere near Scotland.
It's been a normal autumn day here, near Edinburgh.

Well, aren't you the lucky one then! I can't believe you said that, no
sympathy for the bereaved just "it's been a normal day here near Edinburgh"
I won't say any more otherwise I will regret it.

Old October 28th 13, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

The Other Guy wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:07:14 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

How can ANYONE deny climate change?

Climate change itself ISN'T the point of contention.

Human CAUSED climate change IS, and should be.

If humans possess the technology to COMBAT it, whether the cause is
human or natural should be moot, don't you think?
Old October 28th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I think the point of the post was we should be sending purrs
to folks in the UK. They're not used to "hurricanes".

*Parts* of the UK. This one hasn't got anywhere near Scotland.
It's been a normal autumn day here, near Edinburgh.

Well, aren't you the lucky one then! I can't believe you said that, no
sympathy for the bereaved just "it's been a normal day here near Edinburgh"
I won't say any more otherwise I will regret it.

~~~~~~~~
I think I can understand Jack's message, and I don't think he intended for
it to be rude or unsympathetic. I live in Texas, which is a very large
state (larger than some countries). There have been occasions when my
aunt--who lives in Ohio--will call me because she has read about a large
storm in Texas. My answer often has been, "No, we don't have any problem
here. The weather has been beautiful." A major storm in one area may not
have any effect in another area, and that appears to be the situation that
Jack described.

I really am very happy to learn that none of our rpca friends have suffered
major damage.

MaryL

Old October 28th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/28/2013 3:59 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I think the point of the post was we should be sending purrs to folks
in the UK. They're not used to "hurricanes".

*Parts* of the UK. This one hasn't got anywhere near Scotland. It's
been a normal autumn day here, near Edinburgh.

Well, aren't you the lucky one then! I can't believe you said that, no
sympathy for the bereaved just "it's been a normal day here near
Edinburgh" I won't say any more otherwise I will regret it.

I don't think Jack meant it that way. He was just saying hurricane Jude
(Got to like the name) hadn't hit scotland.

I don't think Jack meant it in a bad way, either.

We were lucky too. It was very windy with heavy rain here in the West
Midlands yesterday afternoon but that was our lot. We were lucky. The news
reports are quite a different matter.

Purrs and prayers for those lost and those that love them and for those
with damage too.

Judith

Many purrs for those affected. Would it be bad form if I said the
weather here has been just lovely the last couple of days? (And I live
in a hurricane zone in the USA!)

Jill
Old October 29th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

According to latest local (US) news, death toll is now 14.

The BBC hasn't had much to say about what's been happening in the
rest of Europe - most of those deaths were in the Netherlands and
Germany.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...132894270.html
http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Schon-si...e11622226.html

People often assume that if the UK is affected by godawful weather,
it's going to be at its godawfullest in Scotland. That's often true
but not this time.

Old October 29th 13, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Lesley
wrote:
It was starting to rain when I went to bed last night, something woke me
up at 5.10am and it sounded windy out but I went back to sleep. Woke up
at 6.30 this morning and the wind was howling and it was pouring but by
the time I had a shower and got dressed it had calmed down a bit. No
problem getting to work although some lines were suspended but I got my
usual train and was in on time. Its starting up again now so I bet when
its time to go home the trains will be playing up

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I do hope your journey home was ok.

I had to go to go into work this morning (just to take something in) even
though I'm on holiday and saw no damage to anything. We were very lucky in
Lye and Dudley in the West Midlands.

Judith

I also missed the worst of it here and count myself lucky. There were a few
branches off my trees but the chicken huts weathered it OK. Boyfie & I were
tucked up safely. I haven't been out today as due to the torrential
overnight rain, it's unlikely I could get down to the village anyway because
the bridge will be flooded.
I was very happy to receive the weather warning to ensure our safety.

Old October 29th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Lesley wrote:
[...]

The folks in Hounslow (west London) were particularly unfortunate, since
a falling tree ruptured a gas main, resulting in an explosion that left
two people dead, three houses destroyed, and two other houses damaged.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.