Just read about what is really in cat food

Old August 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
(GAUBSTER2) wrote:

I didn't catch this. When/where did it happen? I've looked but can't
find
anything about it on the internet. Would like to read about it if I can.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Me, too, Purplecat. I've never heard about the overturned pet food truck,

and
would like to read the article.
sherry

It probably never happened. I suspect that it was made up. Wouldn't have
proven anything even if it did happen. There are too many people out
there
just waiting to be offended or scared these days.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/News/Story/69869.html

Enjoy!
-Alison in OH

Nice try, Alison--but there is nothing in there that has anything to do w/
that
truck going to a pet food facility. Besides, this only "happened" a couple
of
days ago. The incident in question is part of an urban legend that
supposedly
took place months/years/decades (take your pick) ago.

Someone beat me to the punch but I'd be happy to quote the same passage.

"A truck carrying cattle carcasses to a dog food factory ... "

I do believe that you stated "Diseased parts aren't used" and "These
things DON'T happen in the US."

A poster responded "You obviously didn't catch the news story about the
truck that overturned on the way to the pet food factory." I don't get
the feeling that this incident, the one in question, is part of an urban
legend taking place decades ago.

Your response to this? "It probably never happened. I suspect that it
was made up."

Nope, not made up. Nasty, putrid, dead, diseased, and decaying meat
products are really and truly disposed of in our precious companion
pets' digestive systems. Some of us trust Hill's when they claim not to
use the loopholes in ingredient definitions for things like
"by-products". Still others would prefer to trust smaller companies that
grow based on a solid reputation of promoting health, and believe them
when they say that the ingredients they use are wholesome enough for you
and me to eat. And yet others, jaded and disillusioned, have discovered
that perhaps the best way to ensure the quality of their pets' food is
to pick it out in the grocery store themselves.

-Alison in OH
Old August 15th 03, 05:31 PM
GAUBSTER2

You are extraordinarily naive. And either you can't read or you are in
total denial.

I'm neither. Neither am I paranoid, which you seem to be!

By BRENT CURTIS Herald Staff

A truck carrying cattle carcasses to a dog food factory

Which pet food factory? Where? That is a rather generic sentence. When
reporting the news, such general statements shouldn't be used. It is true that
dead dogs and cats can be used for bone meal in fertilizer, but NOT in pet
foods. Period. And there is a difference between cattle (beef) and dogs and
cats being used in pet foods. Beef going to "a dog food factory" is somehow
evil or wrong?

Second: If you think that someone who works for a particular firm is
totally free to express his own opinion, you've never worked in the real
world.

Oh please. Just because your personal experience went one way, doesn't mean
it's that way all over. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that isn't the
rule everywhere.

Don't ever think that you can work for a firm and NOT tout it's products
publicly and still stay employed by that firm. That is why you should also
not believe any research funded by industry.

NOW I SEE. I guess you don't believe there is such a thing as freedom of
speech. You're another one of these people who chooses not to believe
peer-reviewed, published research. I suppose you just don't know how that
whole process works. Perhaps Steve Crane will run through the whole process
for you sometime. Basically you open yourself up to your competitors to try
and find something wrong w/ your research. If it holds up to everyone's
scrutiny, it is valid. So yes, you can believe most research funded by
industry. Perhaps there are some exceptions to that, but generally speaking,
in a free society (such as here in the US) private industry funds research to
find the BEST (in most cases, moral) way to supply a product or service that
consumers want/need. It seems you would rather believe that there is some
insidious process that is keeping everybody down and not allowing the "truth"
to come out.

DUH!

Indeed!

Old August 15th 03, 05:44 PM
GAUBSTER2

Nice try, Alison--but there is nothing in there that has anything to do w/
that
truck going to a pet food facility. Besides, this only "happened" a couple

of
days ago. The incident in question is part of an urban legend that
supposedly
took place months/years/decades (take your pick) ago.

I've heard this same statement years ago. Either I can tell the future, or
you're taking events that are totally unrelated and using them to try to prove
your point.

Someone beat me to the punch but I'd be happy to quote the same passage.

"A truck carrying cattle carcasses to a dog food factory ... "

I do believe that you stated "Diseased parts aren't used" and "These
things DON'T happen in the US."

2 things: you're taking what I said out of context and combining them. Let me
correct the record. How do you know that the diseased parts aren't CUT OUT?
Because that is what happens. It's the law.

Cats and dogs ARE NOT USED IN PET FOODS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! They
are used in fertilizer. That's what I was referring to when I said these
things don't happen in the US.

Another thing: the truck is carrying cattle (beef) to the "dog food factory"??
Where are all of the dead dogs and cats?? Hmm?

Nope, not made up. Nasty, putrid, dead, diseased, and decaying meat
products are really and truly disposed of in our precious companion
pets' digestive systems.

Really? Perhaps you would like to blow the industry wide open then? It's
simply your opinion and nothing else.

Some of us trust Hill's when they claim not to
use the loopholes in ingredient definitions for things like
"by-products".

Some companys (like Hill's) make foods based on the nutrient profiles that are
best for the animal. They then use the best quality ingredients to get there.

Still others would prefer to trust smaller companies that
grow based on a solid reputation of promoting health, and believe them
when they say that the ingredients they use are wholesome enough for you
and me to eat.

You can believe whomever you want--I will go with proven successes and
companies w/ proven track records. Most of those "smaller" companies that you
refer to don't provide the nutrition that's best for the individual
animal--they provide one size fits all foods.

And yet others, jaded and disillusioned, have discovered
that perhaps the best way to ensure the quality of their pets' food is
to pick it out in the grocery store themselves.

....that aren't neccessarily nutritionally balanced.

But hey, to each his own! Right? Have a good day!

Old August 16th 03, 10:00 AM

Gaubster2 wrote:
Once again, this bears repeating--IT IS
AGAINST THE LAW TO USE DOGS AND
CATS IN PET FOODS IN THE UNITED
STATES.

No, it's not. I suggest you do your homework before you make yourself
look silly again. There is no federal law that
prohibits the use of dogs and cats in pet foods.

http://www.kmov.com/news/AllmanRepor...8.648e380.html

http://www.kmov.com/news/AllmanRepor...9.64d98cc.html

http://www.kmov.com/news/AllmanRepor...8.653ba1b.html

http://www.kmov.com/news/AllmanRepor...5.659bca5.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 16th 03, 03:37 PM
Betsy

Thank you Megan.

Of course, Gaubster will immediately counter that "this is just one source"
and "give me some solid proof" and his/her other inane rebuttals.

Old August 16th 03, 06:57 PM
GAUBSTER2

From: "Betsy" -0
Date: 8/16/03 7:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time
Thank you Megan.

Of course, Gaubster will immediately counter that "this is just one source"
and "give me some solid proof" and his/her other inane rebuttals.

See my previous post. I can't help you if you don't want to know the truth.
Try being analytical instead of emotional.