Just read about what is really in cat food

Old August 18th 03, 12:35 AM
GAUBSTER2

I think you're arguing too many points at the
same time and losing track of which one your reading. Please do try
to keep up.

Cheryl, unless you can provide information in support or against the mulitple
arguments on this thread I am making, your critiques aren't very helpful. The
points remains the same--allegations are being made that dogs and cats are used
in pet foods and yet nobody can point to one single example where this is the
case. I'm just trying to make the point that there is nothing to worry about
since that practice is illegal anyway. The allegations w/ no truth to them
whatsoever aren't challenged by anyone else (but me) and yet I'm the one who
has to "provide" evidence that something that isn't taking place, well, isn't
taking place. Go figure. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I have no agenda,
and yet I'm somehow getting questioned? Sheesh. All one has to do is call the
company that makes your particular food and ask them if they use dead dogs and
cats in their food. Once you find out that they don't, you can rest easy (or
maybe not if you like to be paranoid). It's quite simple, really.
Old August 18th 03, 03:39 AM
GAUBSTER2

I did the search about 2 years ago. I'll have to see what I can find.
Until
then, it seems that allegations are more important than fact.

I feed my cats dry cat food and I'm concerned about what's in it. I'm
just trying to find out the truth, I'm not interested in allegations or
posturing.
But how can you remember what you found in a web search two years ago?

I had a hard drive failure Jan. of 2002. I simply had the website written
down, and lost the actual link when I had to start from scratch. I actually
lost a lot of good info that way. I try to print out stuff now and file it but
when a website page is several printed pages long, I don't do it.

I don't want to find
out I've been buying euthanized animal shelter critters for 13-odd years
and feeding them to my furballs.

You don't have to worry. Just call the company of whatever brand you are
feeding and see what they have to say. I'm just trying to dispel an urban
legend, that's all.

Old August 18th 03, 08:54 PM
Gilbert Chew

"k conover" wrote in
:

Read this: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Petfood.html;

Uh, IMO, I think it would be better to cite web sites that don't have so
many articles on UFOs.
Old August 18th 03, 08:54 PM
Gilbert Chew

"k conover" wrote in
:

Old August 18th 03, 11:09 PM
GAUBSTER2

I'm just trying to make the point that
there is nothing to worry about since that
practice is illegal anyway

PROVE IT.

You have backpedaled and skirted this issue
several times. Prove what you say is true.

I'm not backpedaling, I stand by what I say. But let's play your game. Why
don't you prove to me that I'm wrong and that cats and dogs ARE ALLOWED in pet
food. I maintain that they are not. Let's see your federal statutes that say
such a practice is not only allowed, but common.

Old August 18th 03, 11:23 PM
GAUBSTER2

Read this: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Petfood.html

Okay, I tried it w/o the ";" and got it to work. The problem here is that the
site is referencing Ann Martin who did her research in the 60s and 70s and is
the subject of this whole debate. Dead dogs and cats aren't used in pet foods
in the US. If they are, it is illegal.

Let's suppose this was happening for a minute. Don't you think that people
would find out about it and object? Then those companies would go out of
business since they alienated so many of their consumers. No? OR I suppose
it's just a big conspiracy intended as a joke on pet lovers everywhere, right?

Old August 19th 03, 12:19 AM

Gaubster2 wrote:
I'm not backpedaling, I stand by what I
say.

Then why you can't you prove it? You have not posted one item of
information that backs up or verifies your claim, but you have spent a
lot of energy *avoiding* doing just that.

But let's play your game. Why don't you
prove to me that I'm wrong and that cats
and dogs ARE ALLOWED in pet food. I
maintain that they are not.

Again I already proved it with a quote from the FDA. They would know
what they're talking about.
Here's another article:

"Still, it is not illegal to use rendered material from dogs and cats in
pet food. And while no one keeps official figures, there's some evidence
it happens.
The Food and Drug Administration has found "very, very low levels" of
sodium pentobarbital--the chemical used to euthanize animals--in some
brands of dog food, said Stephen Sundloff, director of the FDA's Center
for Veterinary Medicine. The agency is investigating whether the traces
are "of any significance at all," Sundloff said."

On DNA testing for cats and dogs in pet food:
http://www.supersonicjane.com/rants/pfood.shtml

"Also, I have contacted three forensic labs and all have stated that it
would be virtually impossible to detect any dog and cat DNA in a product
that had been rendered and then processed."

And more on Sodium Pentobarbitol in pet food:

http://members.rogers.com/anmartin1/cvm.html

Let's see your
federal statutes that say such a practice is
not only allowed, but common.

I have NEVER said a word about whether it is common or if it is done at
all. And you don't need a statute for something that is allowed. Duh.
It's clear you are not going to prove what you say or in any way back it
up with facts, despte the fact that you have been asked to do so
numerous times. That IS backpedaling and AFAIC you've lost the argument.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing