Two Feral Cats

Old October 25th 04, 08:21 PM
ceb2

Default Two Feral Cats

I recently started working in a place where I frequently see two
obviously feral cats in the back parking lot. They are both adults,
all white, beautiful cats, but a little skinny, and kinda mangy, but
they look in good health otherwise prbably siblings. The parking lot
abuts a fiels with trees and tall grass (and some debris), it's at
least a half mile long and several hundred feet wide. One of the cats
is missing an eye and it wasn't done surgically. It's a messy, bloody,
scabby wound. I can't really tell that it's in any discomfort or not,
but it seems a recent wound. I've only been working here a month but
the cmpany moved here around 18 mos ago and the cats were here then
too. Someone else in the building set up a dry bed for them behind the
dumpster and is feeding them. I would never bring them home as I have
kittens who would probably be hurt or infected by adult ferals.

These are my choices:

Do nothing. These cats have been here at least a year and a half.
Maybe much longer, and are still kicking. They must be doing something
right. Someone made them a bed and is feeding them. They have ample
place to hunt and play in the field which abut parking lots and back
yards. The downfall, it is very close to the Sials Deane Highway, a
busy Connecticut retail road with lots of traffic, also, I'm not sure
what Kinda shape ol' 'one eye" is in. If that eye gets infected he may
die. For all anyone knows, they barely lived through a rough CT winter
last year and maybe can't last another.

My other choice is to call the animal hospital down the street or the
Humane Society to come catch them. They will then be cared for
someplace warm, be well fed by nice people and may get adopted. More
likely they will be euthanized, or at least the one missing an eye.

What would you do?
Old October 25th 04, 09:58 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I recently started working in a place where I frequently see two
obviously feral cats in the back parking lot.

snip

What would you do?

If they are friendly with people, find out if any local no-kill rescues would
be willing to take on these kitties. They may be willing to take them in
especially because of the injured one.

If they are not friendly with people, I'd contact the local animal shelter to
see if a vet would treat them as ferals to be re-released (and put out winter
shelter - see below). The humane society may work with a vet who would do
this. True ferals have very bad chances of getting adopted. There are a lot
of friendly cats without homes. People choose those.

Worse comes to worse (no one will take them or help them), I'd bring the one
with only one eye in to the H.S. (or have them come get him) even if there
was a chance he'd be euthanized. That injury must be terribly painful and is
likely to get infected without treatment.
I'd then put out a real shelter outside (they make dog houses for this) with
hay in it and stuff for the other cat for the winter. If a shelter is done
properly (raised off ground, hay and blankets for warmth, covered entrance,
etc), the cat will be fine over the winter.

My nickle, anyways.

~kaeli~
Synonym: the word you use in place of a word you can't
spell.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 25th 04, 09:58 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old October 26th 04, 12:35 AM
Arjun Ray

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:21:15 -0700, ceb2 wrote:

I recently started working in a place where I frequently see two obviously
feral cats in the back parking lot. [...]

These are my choices:

Do nothing.

This is the correct choice for *you*. You've damaged enough cats' lives
already.

My other choice is to call the animal hospital down the street or the
Humane Society to come catch them.

If this is the only other "choice" that occurs to you, then all the more
would it be correct for you to do nothing. Cats are not your long suit.

What would you do?

Depends.

Old October 26th 04, 02:11 AM
Mary

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:21:15 -0700, ceb2 wrote:

I recently started working in a place where I frequently see two

obviously
feral cats in the back parking lot. [...]

These are my choices:

Do nothing.

This is the correct choice for *you*. You've damaged enough cats' lives
already.

Yep. I did not answer because I know this asshole will do whatever is
convenient. I probably would already have DONE something about the ferals,
but buttwipe here's response to them is "oh, great topic for the Newsgroup."
What a cat lover.

Old October 26th 04, 03:32 AM
MacCandace

they look in good health otherwise

One of the cats
is missing an eye and it wasn't done surgically. It's a messy, bloody,
scabby wound.

Is it just me, or is this a contradiction? I agree with others that you should
probably keep out of it since you're a cat abuser. It's a very sad situation
for those kitties, though. Maybe you should call a rescue group. Or maybe the
person caring for them will take care of it. They should be trapped and
receive medical care and neutering and maybe released to a feral colony
somewhere away from traffic. But the task is probably too big for you so you
might as well leave well enough alone.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 26th 04, 03:48 AM
Rhonda

There are feral groups around that will trap, spay/neuter, and release
if someone is feeding them.

I think it would be a good idea to get that eye treated, at the very
least. You might call the Humane Society and see if they can give you
the names of some feral rescue groups who could help. Also, if you offer
a donation or even offer to cover the expense of eye-treatment or spay,
neuter, that might help them to be able to help the cats. Maybe even
take donations at your office.

The Humane Societies themselves are usually over-extended and may not
take feral cats. They take lots of time to tame, something the H.S. does
not always have.

Good luck,

Rhonda