woman has 225 cats

Old January 18th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default woman has 225 cats

The woman in the news artical below had 225 cats in her house.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststa...980.xml&coll=1

Old January 19th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I find it very odd that no one in this "close knit" neighborhood had
any idea about this poor woman and how her act of kindness got so out
of control. I just fine it hard to believe none of her neighbors ever
noticed the undenyable odor coming from the house. Or that they didn't
care enough to get involved.

Here's thisloving person, unemployeed and being thrown out of her home
and she does the only thing she knoes to do so the animals will be
taken care of and she is being punished for it. Granted, she should
have go to the ASPCA sooner, but perhaps she was just too affraid of
the troubole she would be in. Seems she's lost everything now and just
doesn't care.

Too bad that most of the animals will end up being destroyed.

We wouldn't have as many problems with people taking in the strays
and cast off pets if more pet owners would take real responsibility for
their pets. Spay and neuter your pets! If something happens that
won't allow you to keep a pet, don't just turn it out or dump it
somewhere, do the right thing and surrender it to an animal shelter.

I took in a "stray" calico the end of November, obviously very near to
delivering a litter of kittens. Within a few weeks she gave birth to
five healthy kittens; kittens that most likely would have frozen to
death had they been born outside. The kittens were transfered to a
seconf foster home just this week where they will receive vet care and
be adopted out to suitable indoor only homes. The mother will be
getting spayed and we will be finding a forever home for her too. (I've
already got four cats, which is three more than I'm supposed to have or
I wouldn't hesitate to keep her.

Stories like this one just really anger me and not with the
person/people whohave ended up taking in all the animals, but with the
pet owners who didn't take responsibility for their pets in the first
place.

Hemma

Old January 19th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

"Hemmaholic" wrote

Spay and neuter your pets! If something happens that
won't allow you to keep a pet, don't just turn it out or dump it
somewhere, do the right thing and surrender it to an animal shelter.

Sometimes an act of kindness don't end up that way.
If I could not find a home for the pet, I would rather take the unwanted
animal out to the forest, shoot it in the head, and bury it to nourish the
plant life.
Now before you get up in arms about that, think how many poor critters the
shelters put down every year.
Have you ever seen the way they do it? I have.
Drugs are too expensive for most shelters even though most ask for money
when you take your unwanted pet to them to be placed for adoption.
Regardless, I would rather do it myself as an act of kindness than to have
some stranger be the last thing poor kitty sees. I know that might sound
cold and heartless but somewhere in there are good intentions.

I took in a "stray" calico the end of November, obviously very near to
delivering a litter of kittens. Within a few weeks she gave birth to
five healthy kittens; kittens that most likely would have frozen to
death had they been born outside. The kittens were transfered to a
seconf foster home just this week where they will receive vet care and
be adopted out to suitable indoor only homes. The mother will be
getting spayed and we will be finding a forever home for her too. (I've
already got four cats, which is three more than I'm supposed to have or
I wouldn't hesitate to keep her.

Same thing happened here ... I found good homes for all three cute kittens.
It was fun havng kittens in the house and they got lots of attention so they
would make good pets.
Momma cat is going to the vet this week to be spayed.
We feed and care for the one kitten she had last spring and that is enough.

Stories like this one just really anger me and not with the
person/people whohave ended up taking in all the animals, but with the
pet owners who didn't take responsibility for their pets in the first
place.

Know just how you feel.

Willee

Old January 20th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Willie,

While, I can not put an animal down myself, I can see your point. I
have been fortunate enough that when I did have to have an animal put
to sleep (what an erroniuos term) I have ben able to take the pet to my
vet and be present. I've held my share of pets too sick or injured to
be saved and have held them and eased their passing. There have been
many occasions where both the tech (most often, the Vet as well) and
myself had tears in our eyes.

Years and years ago I worked at a local, city run animal shelter and
one of my duties was to not only assit with the euthanisias, but often
had to select puppies and kittens that had the best chances of
adoption. We used injections, thankfully, and not the horrible gas
chambers. Didn't make it any easier on me, but at least it was a lot
more humane for the animal. Working there was at the same time the best
and worst experience I've ever had. It deffinetely jaded my opinion
towards irresponsible pet owners. I still feel one of the requierments
for surrendering a pet should be that the owner had to work at the
facility for at least 40 hours. It would make and impact on a lot of
people, unfortunately though, not on everyone.

There will always be those who view animals, and I mean all animals, as
something disposable; pets that once the newness and cuteness had faded
away they simply disposed of it and usually in a way that required very
little effort on their part.

Unless and until all people learn to respect life and take
responsibility there will always be a pet over-population problem; pets
dumped or abandoned and just simply abused.

All animal life is precious regardless of what form it takes and humane
measures should always be used in our husbandry of them.

Hemma

Old January 21st 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default woman has 225 cats (Follow up)

SPCA euthanizes 130 of 160 seized cats
Most of the 160 cats recovered earlier this week from a DeWitt home
have been destroyed, SPCA officials said today.

"We saved the ones we could," said Patricia Richards, director of the
Central New York Society for the Preventation of Cruelty to Animals, "but we
also did what we had to do. I don't want to dwell on what we euthanized.
Let's dwell on what we saved and what we're trying to do to help them."

Thirty remain in isolation at the facility on Molloy Road and are
continuing to receive fluids to combat severe dehydration, she said. The
SPCA euthanized 130 cats.

The animals were confiscated from a single-family house at 102 Masters
Road after their owner was forced to move to a place that didn't allow pets.
Shirley Thompson, 54, was subsequently charged with more than 100
misdemeanor counts for improper confinement and failing to provide
veterinary care.

Staff writer Sue Weibezahl will have a full report in The
Post-Standard Saturday.

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
The woman in the news artical below had 225 cats in her house.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststa...980.xml&coll=1

Attached Images

Old January 23rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

That is pretty outrageous. The even sadder thing is how the shelter like
many others that are not no-kill will quickly decide euthanizing the animal
instead of treating them, getting them spay/neuter and working with them to
become sociable. This is one of the things that bugs me about the ASPCA. I
think when they do the show Animal Cops they put on a great performance for
the camera but it seems to be much different when there are no cameras
around. On camera they act as if they'll take great care of the animal, get
them treated then give them the old 123 quick behavior evaluation which
really is kind of sloppy in my book.

Having 225 cats in a household is nuts and this is a pretty extreme case of
hoarding where they think they are doing the right thing but yet don't have
the resources or funding to take care of them. The SPCA in the state where
this incident happened is in a tight spot but they also could have worked
with these cats, gotten them treated and worked with them to try and make
them sociable. Most of these shelters have no clue to the fact that when a
cat is put in those kind of conditions, of course they will become feral or
hard to control. I think a lot of shelters either lack the experience of
dealing with behavior problems or just decide to euthanize because they
think it will be easier or it'll be quicker to deal with the issue. I think
if given a choice these cats would want the chance to survive and not be
euthanized. It's as if the shelters that euthanize almost punish these cats
when they are the victims. If a human child was kept in these conditions
would we put them down? Nope, humans would take the child in, treat them and
keep them alive. Don't the cats deserve the same consideration?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
.. .

Old January 23rd 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

"Cat Protector" wrote in message

Having 225 cats in a household is nuts and this is a pretty extreme case

of
hoarding where they think they are doing the right thing but yet don't

have
the resources or funding to take care of them.

I doubt she "collected" or "hoarded" that many cats. I suspect she brought
home just a few but didn't get them spayed, and had no idea how fast they
would multiply.

Old January 30th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

You doubt it? That is hoarding as far as the rescue groups would be
concerned. Many of those who are collectors fail to have their cats spayed
or neutered. She didn't bring home just a few.