Jackie meets the Dentist

Old August 25th 04, 03:30 PM
dgk

Default Jackie meets the Dentist

I took Jackie to the Pro Vets today and we had a consult with the
dentist. As an aside, all signs are that the WBC count (high polys)
indicates that she does not have leukemia but does have a chronic
infection, which we know.

Her mouth is, in layman's terms, a mess. All the teeth need to be
extracted. Everything is inflamed and nothing short of that will help
significantly. She is having inflammatory reactions to the bacteria
and there is a 15% chance that even after everything heals she will
need prednisone or another cortisone in order to live a happy life.
But that is an 85% chance that she will need no other treatment.

I told them my tale of woe, of having just adopted her a few months
ago out of pity. So instead of costing $1600 it will only (only) be
$1000. He is leaving off the actual charge for removing all the teeth
and I'm paying only for the hospital costs. Total cost for the cat in
3 months, $1500. We have to get that ratio down a bit...

Assuming all goes well, I can pick her up tomorrow night. They want to
make sure that she is eating something because she dropped more weight
in the past week and is now close to 5 lbs again.

She will be on heavy pain killers for a day or so but after that she
will likely have no more pain and should be a happy cat. Fingers are
crossed.

I'm now heading off to watch the qualifying round of the US Open
Tennis Tournament, hopeful that the cell phone will bring only good
news. It will, of course, be on vibrate.
Old August 25th 04, 05:16 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

This all sounds great - very promising, to me! I am willing to bet that she
*will* feel ever so much better once those teeth are _out_ of her mouth!
And I also am betting that her WBC will return to a normal - or near
normal - level once they're out of there, getting rid of the source(s) of
infection. (A 33% reduction in costs is also good news for you.)

Good luck - I hope it all goes acc. to plan.

Cathy

Cathy

Old August 25th 04, 06:58 PM
MacCandace

She will be on heavy pain killers for a day or so but after that she
will likely have no more pain and should be a happy cat. Fingers are
crossed.

I'm sending good thoughts to little Jackie and awaiting your good news. You're
a good dad.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old August 26th 04, 12:08 AM
dgk

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:16:55 -0400, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I got the call while at the US Open. Surgery is over. All teeth were
removed, including five that had long ago broken off but still had
festering roots. That poor girl. She was coming out of the anesthesia
and all signs are for a complete recovery. She will spend the night
and I will bring her home tomorrow night.

Now I have to hope that the diarrhea goes away; I'd hate to think that
she still has IBD. Oh, that was a great bit. She was in her carrier in
the car on the way to the vet, and the carrier had an old bathmat on
the bottom as padding. Naturally, about ten minutes from the vet, the
car fills with this terrible smell and Jackie has had a huge liquid
dump in the middle of the bathmat. While driving at 70 mph along the
Long Island Expressway I pull her out of the carrier so she doesn't
end up lying in it, and dump her into my lap. So now I have a cat with
diarrhea still leaking out a bit lying in my lap. Just what they teach
us in driving school.

The bathmat was abandoned in a dumpster by the vet. The car was aired
out by having all windows open while I was in the vet and when I was
driving home. My pants were washed in a sink at the vet. A good time
was had by all.

Old August 26th 04, 12:23 AM
Barb

Poor little Jackie. Let us know how she turns out.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old August 26th 04, 12:51 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , dgk at
wrote on 8/25/04 9:30AM:

[...]

I wanted to mention they kept Grant an extra day after his surgery just to
be sure he was OK and they could watch him, so don't be alarmed if they want
to do that. Hers sounds so much worse. Keep us posted. Will be sending her
good thoughts.