Worm on Cat?

Old April 8th 05, 12:06 AM
Elle

Default Worm on Cat?

I just nudged this worm or larva off my cat, on the fur near but well
outside his anus:

White
1/8 inch wide
extends to about 3/8 inch
Contracts to about 1/4 inch

The cat is eating fine and using his litter box.

This is a cat I have now adopted (formerly fostered) from a rescue clinic
the other day. He went to a vet surgeon's office today to have his fractured
leg examined. I'm hoping he picked this up there. I will be looking at the
house closely.

Any idea whether this is some feline parasite about which I need to be
concerned?

Old April 8th 05, 12:23 AM
KellyH

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just nudged this worm or larva off my cat, on the fur near but well
outside his anus:

White
1/8 inch wide
extends to about 3/8 inch

Tapeworm.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old April 8th 05, 12:33 AM
Magic Mood Jeep

KellyH wrote:
"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just nudged this worm or larva off my cat, on the fur near but well
outside his anus:

White
1/8 inch wide
extends to about 3/8 inch

Tapeworm.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

Or, to be more precise, a tapewrom segment. It contains eggs to create more
tapeworms. The actual tapeworm is in the cat's digestive tract. The
secments 'crawl' out of the cat's anus, dry up (they then look like the
sesame seeds off a hamburger bun), and get ingested by another (or the same)
animal.

A lot of times a cat will get them as a flea has fed off the tapeworm
segment & ingested some of the eggs, then the cat will ingest the flea
during grooming.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too) email me at

Old April 8th 05, 01:35 AM
Connie

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just nudged this worm or larva off my cat, on the fur near but well
outside his anus:

White
1/8 inch wide
extends to about 3/8 inch
Contracts to about 1/4 inch

The cat is eating fine and using his litter box.

This is a cat I have now adopted (formerly fostered) from a rescue clinic
the other day. He went to a vet surgeon's office today to have his
fractured
leg examined. I'm hoping he picked this up there. I will be looking at the
house closely.

Any idea whether this is some feline parasite about which I need to be
concerned?

It is a tape worm, and you can get rid of them for about 14 bucks if you
take your cat to the vet...

Old April 8th 05, 07:10 PM
BuZZard

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...

That means its dead deary.

Old April 8th 05, 07:17 PM
Elle

Thanks Kelly, Magic, Connie, and Karen.

My cat had his deworming pill just a little while ago.

My area is not supposed to get fleas (we're high and dry), but I powdered
the house with flea powder, let it sit half an hour, then vacuumed it up to
play it safe. The cat shows no signs of having fleas, so far. (I am
acquainted with fleas after two battles with them, which the cat and I won,
in other homes.)

Old April 8th 05, 08:04 PM
Elle

Buzz, this worm I nudged off was moving and continued to move for at least
another hour.

My subsequent reading on the subject indicates it may be merely a segment of
tapeworm, but you know how worm segments may behave...

"BuZZard" wrote

That means its dead deary.

Old April 9th 05, 04:07 PM
MaryL

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks Kelly, Magic, Connie, and Karen.

My cat had his deworming pill just a little while ago.

My area is not supposed to get fleas (we're high and dry), but I powdered
the house with flea powder, let it sit half an hour, then vacuumed it up
play it safe. The cat shows no signs of having fleas, so far. (I am
acquainted with fleas after two battles with them, which the cat and I
won,
in other homes.)

I think you should call your vet because your cat may need to be re-treated.
It's easy to treat a cat for tapeworms, but it does sometimes need more than
one treatment. This is a very easy thing to take care of, but it can lead
to serious (and more expensive) consequences if neglected.

MaryL

Old April 9th 05, 08:00 PM
Elle

newscS5e.6432$gs4.5046@okepread05...

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks Kelly, Magic, Connie, and Karen.

My cat had his deworming pill just a little while ago.

My area is not supposed to get fleas (we're high and dry), but I

powdered
the house with flea powder, let it sit half an hour, then vacuumed it up
play it safe. The cat shows no signs of having fleas, so far. (I am
acquainted with fleas after two battles with them, which the cat and I
won,
in other homes.)

I think you should call your vet because your cat may need to be

re-treated.
It's easy to treat a cat for tapeworms, but it does sometimes need more

than
one treatment. This is a very easy thing to take care of, but it can lead
to serious (and more expensive) consequences if neglected.

The cat's main vet prescribed the pill, so he's at least informed. This cat
goes in for major surgery within a week or so (for his broken leg), so he's
getting lots of attention. We'll (the Rescue organization and I) will make
sure all vets involved know about the tapeworm.

I will keep monitoring him and will remember he may need another treatment.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Ring worm catlvr Cat health & behaviour 4 February 8th 05 08:29 PM
Ear Worm CatNipped Cat anecdotes 31 December 31st 04 12:03 AM
Seaweed-like worm? KellyH Cat health & behaviour 1 December 17th 04 01:34 AM
Tuffy's worm pill - BW Cinbad Cat anecdotes 30 September 24th 04 04:16 PM
Question, is this pill for tape worm? John Doe Cats - misc 4 July 3rd 04 03:11 AM