Hard to Wake Up

Old August 29th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Aprylzfool

Default Hard to Wake Up

Hey All,

I am new here but I was hoping someone might be able to help since this is my
first cat.

Last night my roommate touched my cats paw while he was sleeping. No response.
After calling his name, and then again louder with no response, she poked him.
Still nothing. She said he was on his back, eyes slightly open and rolled
back, and was not responding to anything. Then she shook him a little and he
woke up, seemingly fine.

Is this a problem or was he just really deeply asleep? He's never had any
health problems and I have known other animals (and people for that matter)
that get into a deep sleep and are difficult to wake up.

I'm going to call the vet regardless but I was wondering if anyone else had
had similar issues and how they panned out.

Thanks!

--
Boo's Adopted Mom

Old August 29th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

No offense maybe the cat chose to ignore her. Mine do it all the time.
Did you observe this also or just the roommate. there are tell tale signs
that they know you are there like an ear twitching or the tail moving or
slight eye opening. IMO It sounds like the cat chose to ignore her.

If the cat was breathing fine and was responsive to full touch. IMO I would
not worry but as a cat person I would call and ask the vet.

My kitten Ka'Shay is dead to the world when she sleeps

Old August 29th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

[...]

Yes, I think you need to call your vet ASAP. I would be concerned about the
possibility of a seizure and would want to have a full examination "just to
be on the safe side." I have never had a cat that was difficult to awaken.
They always seem to have an awareness of any movement, and especially if
they are touched.

MaryL

Old August 30th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:48:31 GMT, "Aprylzfool" u25922@uwe wrote:

Last night my roommate touched my cats paw while he was sleeping. No response.
After calling his name, and then again louder with no response, she poked him.
Still nothing. She said he was on his back, eyes slightly open and rolled
back, and was not responding to anything. Then she shook him a little and he
woke up, seemingly fine.

Probably a deep sleep, especially if the cat is still a kitten.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old August 30th 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

Aprylzfool wrote:
Is this a problem or was he just really deeply asleep? He's never had any
health problems and I have known other animals (and people for that matter)
that get into a deep sleep and are difficult to wake up.

One of my cats, Sarrasine, did this as a kitten so much that once Dave
(My partner) thought she was dead. He tried shaking her and nothing
happened so he picked her up and was just wondering how to do the kiss
of life on a kitten when she opened one eye and told him to go away.
Even now she's sometimes out for the count to the extent where I have
to check if she's still breathing. She's 3 years old and a perfectly
healthy feline, very lively when she isn't asleep

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs