Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

Old August 15th 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

Default Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds
Old August 15th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"chatnoir" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

So what is the answer?

Old August 15th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Aug 14, 10:51*pm, chatnoir wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

It's quite discouraging that people use the cat colonies as an excuse
to dump off their unwanted (and probably unneutered) pets.

The video's suggestion to relocate the neutered cats instead of
returning them sounds like a good idea, but with the overloaded
shelters it may be easier said than done.

FirstHit
Old August 15th 09, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Aug 14, 11:54*pm, FirstHit wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:51*pm, chatnoir wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

It's quite discouraging that people use the cat colonies as an excuse
to dump off their unwanted (and probably unneutered) pets.

The video's suggestion to relocate the neutered cats instead of
returning them sounds like a good idea, but with the overloaded
shelters it may be easier said than done.

FirstHit

The shelters are very full now with the economy! So, is the place I
go to buy pet food! It has lots of kittens on display!
Old August 15th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (8/15/2009 1:59 AM):
"chatnoir" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

So what is the answer?

Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very
overloaded, I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human
population can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.

I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

jmc
Old August 15th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Aug 15, 4:29*am, chatnoir wrote:
On Aug 14, 11:54*pm, FirstHit wrote:

On Aug 14, 10:51*pm, chatnoir wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

It's quite discouraging that people use the cat colonies as an excuse
to dump off their unwanted (and probably unneutered) pets.

The video's suggestion to relocate the neutered cats instead of
returning them sounds like a good idea, but with the overloaded
shelters it may be easier said than done.

FirstHit

The shelters are very full now with the economy! *So, is the place I
go to buy pet food! *It has lots of kittens on display!

Yeah, I've noticed!

FirstHit
Old August 15th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"chatnoir" wrote in message
On Aug 14, 11:54 pm, FirstHit wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:51 pm, chatnoir wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

It's quite discouraging that people use the cat colonies as an excuse
to dump off their unwanted (and probably unneutered) pets.

The video's suggestion to relocate the neutered cats instead of
returning them sounds like a good idea, but with the overloaded
shelters it may be easier said than done.

FirstHit

The shelters are very full now with the economy! So, is the place I
go to buy pet food! It has lots of kittens on display!

The bird lovers know the answer. Kill all those pesky cats so they can enjoy
their brainless little noisemakers.

Old August 15th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"chatnoir" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

So what is the answer?

Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very overloaded,
I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human population
can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.

I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

Euthanize rather than TNR? Not even.

Old August 15th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (8/15/2009 2:43 PM):
"chatnoir" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds
So what is the answer?

Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very overloaded,
I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human population
can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.

I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

Euthanize rather than TNR? Not even.

Actually, along with. Euthanasia, I think, is probably a better death
than dying of old age and/or sickness in an overpopulated colony.

I know it's not a popular opinion. I hate that it's necessary, but I'm
a realist. Too many cats, not enough homes, overloaded shelters.

jmc
Old August 15th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 15, 9:27*am, jmc wrote:
Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. *It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very
overloaded, I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human
population can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.
I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

There are things that a rich person like, say, Steven Spielberg
could do. Donate a large tract of land into which neutered and
spayed cats would be set free and given a chance to live, rather
than be euthanized. Make sure that the land has water running
through it, and provide additional food and water at stations
scattered throughout the area of, say, a hundred square miles.
It could be surrounded by a cat proof fence, and maintained by
only a very few people. The grant would also provide for collection
of neutered/spayed cats from shelters and transportation to the
the site.

This would cost very little for something like the Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation to do. I haven't covered all of the details, but
you can see the general idea. It would only require a moderate
grant from some philanthropic organization to do it.