OMG! One more reason to NOT declaw...

Old August 9th 03, 06:27 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "Sharon"
wrote:

| If you go and look you will see that declawing at our practice is not
| even close to a regular procedure and only a last resort procedure.

This is the standard, I dare say AVMA-style "official", copout from vets
all over North America - the only area in the world where this cruel and
barbaric practice is condoned. I hear that the CVMA is going to take
this line in the California AB 395 hearings - that declawing is a minor,
almost insignificant part of their practices, a last resort only under
duress, yada yada yada.

Okay. Why not offer numbers? How many cats does your practice declaw,
as a percentage of total cats treated, every year? And do you think
your numbers are representative, typical of vets in your area or your
state or across the US? Would you care to offer an estimate anyway?

| Easy income? Hardly.

I beg your pardon? It's money for something that need not be done at
all. Gravy.

| As in other countries, vets will have to Just Say No. It boils down
| to attitudes in society at large.
|
| And sometimes in a very few cases it needs to be an option. VERY FEW CASES.

Like what?

Vets in other countries have no trouble saying "no cases". You might
want to think who is suffering the ethical deficiency, vets in the rest
of the world, or vets in North America. Because it *does* boil down to
ethics and attitudes.

| I understand your views and I sympathize.

I don't think you do. That is, I doubt that you sympathize with my view
that vets who declaw are morally deficient, if not defective.

| But a blind attack on my character is uncalled for.

I read the thread in alt.med.veterinary. The issue isn't your
character. It's what you're trying to evade.

Old August 9th 03, 06:36 AM
Sharon

Okay. Why not offer numbers? How many cats does your practice declaw,
as a percentage of total cats treated, every year?

I don't know! I don' travel home with those statistics on a daily basis.
All I can tell you, and you have to trust me on this, is that very few cats
are declawed at our practice each year. I've gone over this already and
shouldn't have to do it again.

And do you think
your numbers are representative, typical of vets in your area or your
state or across the US?

Absolutely not. I know practices who do no declaws, and some that do it
routinely.

Would you care to offer an estimate anyway?

Getting those figures is more complicated than I can explain here from home.

| Easy income? Hardly.

I beg your pardon? It's money for something that need not be done at
all. Gravy.

The few that we do give us no reasonable profit at all.

Like what?

I gave one very recent cse on the other thread on the other newsgroup you
said you read.

Vets in other countries have no trouble saying "no cases". You might
want to think who is suffering the ethical deficiency, vets in the rest
of the world, or vets in North America. Because it *does* boil down to
ethics and attitudes.

We say no every single day.

| I understand your views and I sympathize.

I don't think you do. That is, I doubt that you sympathize with my view
that vets who declaw are morally deficient, if not defective.

Forget it. You canot even stand to think that there are some cses that exist
outside your scope. Forget the fact that I have agreed over and over in
general, just that there can be exceptions. We'll never change each other's
minds.

| But a blind attack on my character is uncalled for.

I read the thread in alt.med.veterinary. The issue isn't your
character. It's what you're trying to evade.

I am evading nothing.

Old August 9th 03, 06:36 AM
Sharon

Old August 9th 03, 06:50 AM
Sharon

Sharon, ignore my post directed at year and deflect to the others. I
misread your "inflections" and as usual expected an attack upon me
personally rather than the issue. They're good at that.

No problem. Married to a vet and practice manager of our hospital, I'm not
new to these topics, just to these newsgroups. I tried...... but I could say
white and they would say... ya know ;-)

-Sharon

Old August 9th 03, 06:58 AM
Sharon

It's an intricate
operation that requires time, detail, a host of equipment and supplies.
I'd be surprised that many break even on that one.

It's the insinuation that vets are in it for the money that gets me. I wish.
Can't even begin to tell you how much we have given away in products and
services. House calls on lunch half hours, calls all night. It certainly
isn't about the money, that's for ssure. At least not in our house. Ask my
kids.

-Sharon