Acoming an Outdoor Cat.

Old October 7th 04, 04:40 PM
Iain

Default Acoming an Outdoor Cat.

I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain
Old October 7th 04, 05:37 PM
~*Connie*~

no cat ever has enough "experience" to live safely outside. There are too
many outside forces that could harm your cat. Yes.. there are cats that
have gone outside all of their lives and lived till they were 20, but the
average life span of a cat that goes out is dramatically shorter than an
indoor only one.

om...

Old October 7th 04, 06:42 PM
rinn

You have to start with slow, supervised visits to the outdoors. We only let
our cats out for about 1 hour each day for a couple of weeks or so, when we
were out there with them. Then it got longer and longer. Now, they are out
from 5pm until 9:30 pm. They know when we call them to come in - we also
shake the treat can to get them in. Also, when they are indoors, make sure
they have an open window to sit by to get used to the outside smells.
On the weekends, they are allowed in and out all day during daylight hours.

Make sure she has ALL her shots.

om...

Old October 7th 04, 07:19 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:40:39 -0700, Iain wrote:

I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

If you want to keep the cat , keep her as an indoor cat. If you haven;t
done so as yet, have her spayed and immunized.

Outdoor cats don't usually live as long or stay as healthy. It's a cruel
world out there for kittens and cats. If you love her, keep her safe.

Old October 7th 04, 07:49 PM
Wendy

"Iain" wrote in message
om...
I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain

You really can't be sure. If you let the cat outside unsupervised you don't
know what she's in to or where she's going.

Not that your reasoning is any of my business, but it isn't making a lot of
sense to me. You said you want to have the cat outside so she doesn't get
out via your many exits? She might "escape" so to avoid that your just going
to let her out there before she can leave by herself? I fail to see much
difference (maybe I'm thick). What's the difference between her escaping out
the patio door and your letting her out? Hey she's still out and your in. If
you let her out do you think that will stop her from leaving on her own if
the opportunity presents itself?

Is there some reason you can't continue to take her out on leash? Had the
cat indicated she even wanted to go out before you took her out there?