Head Count, Please!

Old March 31st 16, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_5_]

Default Head Count, Please!

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:45:57 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

First we have Annie, she will be 14 this year. I got her at approx. 9
months of age from the RSPCA.

I didn't know the RSPCA was in Australia. Unless you adopted her in the
UK - are you a British transplant?

No, not a transplant, we have the RSPCA here in Australia.

She was quite timid in many ways, in recent years she has relaxed a
LOT and is far more laid back now than I ever thought she would be.
My guess is she is part Siamese. She is not vocal all the time, but
when she does say something there is no doubt about what she is trying
to communicate. She is quite skilled at communicating, I don't know
where she picked that up from.

My cat Licky (short for Licorice) is a bit like that.

I know another Licorice locally He's a nice young lad, now that
he's settled down a bit and stopped ambushing all the other cats (they
have 6, all up).

I doubt he's part
Siamese - he's a mostly-black tuxedo. He does have a kink at the end of his
tail, though, which I've heard people say is a sign of having some Siamese
genes. He's also extremely vocal, as in VERY LOUD. And persistent. When
I'm in the kitchen at night, he sits in the "kitty treats" area and begs
for treats - meowing loudly, frequently and for a long time. Did I mention
that I live in an apartment building? After a certain hour, I worry that
he's going to keep the neighbors up. (No complaints as yet!)

LOL, sounds like my Lucy. She gets really loud at times when I'm in
the kitchen

He's also pretty skittish and always has been. I don't think he suffered
a trauma, though - I think he was just a feral kitten who was socialized
a little too late to be thorougly acclimated to humans. I've had him for
13 years (since he was 3 months old), and he still runs away when I try to
pet him outside of one of the officially sanctioned "safe petting zones."
He still randomly hisses at me from time to time, although he has never
scratched or bitten me. He's a bit like Tina's Boyfie, in that he doesn't
lash out when scared. He prefers flight over fight.

Oddly enough, Lucy is a bit like that. She gets spooked easily
occasionally, strange really because she's quite a large, boisterous
and confident cat otherwise. I got her very young and she hasn't had
any reason to be nervous about anything.

One time I'll never forget. I was sleeping on my back and Lucy
snuggled into me as usual... I think I must have snored a bit because
I was suddenly awoken from a deep sleep with four sets of claws
embedded in my chest as she launched herself to get as far away as
possible. Ouch...

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal. He might be bored and lonely at home when I'm
at work. He and Roxy weren't cuddle buddies, but they got along OK, and
now he's alone for many hours of the day. So when I get home, I'm
bombarded by loud meowing, and I'm not sure whether he wants food, treats,
or cuddling.

Sorry to hear that, he must be lonely.

Usually he gets cuddling first, and that's when he does the
other thing he can do very loudly: purr. This cat could probably win some
purring contests.

So could Lucy. She has a very loud purr, and purrs often.

Annie and Lucy have a strange relationship at times. Lucy loves to
torment Annie by ambushing her. Physically it's no contest between
Annie and Lucy, Lucy is far bigger and stronger. Despite this Annie is
the boss of the house and always has free reign at the food bowl. Lucy
will always stand back and wait until Annie has had her fill and walks
away.

Heh, this is kind of how it was between Roxy and Licky. Licky's a strapping
male, and Roxy, especially as she got older and then got sick, was smaller
and smaller. At 6 pounds (approx 2.7 kg) she could still shoo him away from
prime sleeping spots just by glaring at him.

Old April 1st 16, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:41:10 -0400, dgk wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.
Old April 4th 16, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 1:35:47 PM UTC, Jill McQuown wrote:
I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

We have Bonnie (Bonamassa) who will be 5 next month, she's a rather large (Not fat but stocky) black and white Tuxedo DSH- she's very genteel and refined lady who likes Dreamies (I think they're called Temptations in the US), getting under people's feet and napping, which she is doing right now three feet away from me, right in the middle of my bedroom doorway!

And Spirit who will be 2 in August- she's a tiny, brown and white tuxedo with a fairly fluffy coat. She's FIV+ and we've had a few visits to the vet after a flea allergy caused her to groom herself nearly bald and raw in patches. Then for quite a few months Bonnie seemed to be bullying her a bit and that led to more overgrooming. We were starting to think seriously that she'd be better in a home where she was the only cat then one day she was asleep in the bedroom (She'd find a place and stay there until she found another place) and Bonnie who was having zoomies got too near her and she hissed. Bonnie seemed to take the message that Spirit had had enough and they are now often found sleeping together and washing each other and Spirit is now getting her fur back really quickly. She loves FOOD! And getting stroked she has a very loud purr motor. Her personality is best described as she's a bit of a Barbie doll- she thinks being so very fluffy, so tiny and oh so cute will get her through life then again it has so far

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 4th 16, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.

Did Nipsy have a T4 tests (for hyperthyroidism), along with his other
blood work? You listed three of the most common symptoms--weight loss
(although that is common at that age), old age, and whining/crying
frequently. Those are the characteristics that led me to request a T4
test for Duffy, and the test confirmed hyperthyroidism even though the
vet could not feel a lump in the thyroid. Duffy has a very good vet,
but this is one case where I had to request the test myself.

MaryL

Old April 10th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal.

I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old April 10th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 4/4/2016 7:37 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

And Spirit who will be 2 in August- she's a tiny, brown and white
tuxedo with a fairly fluffy coat. She's FIV+ and we've had a few
visits to the vet after a flea allergy caused her to groom herself
nearly bald and raw in patches. Then for quite a few months Bonnie
seemed to be bullying her a bit and that led to more overgrooming. We
were starting to think seriously that she'd be better in a home where
she was the only cat then one day she was asleep in the bedroom
(She'd find a place and stay there until she found another place) and
Bonnie who was having zoomies got too near her and she hissed.
Bonnie seemed to take the message that Spirit had had enough and they
are now often found sleeping together and washing each other and
Spirit is now getting her fur back really quickly.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about Spirit's issues but I'm glad she stood her
ground and seems to be getting along better. I went through that with
Shamrock, and while he used to be the bully cat, once he got sick he was
the one being bullied by everyone. He actually outgrew his skin
allergies! He never had to have another depo shot after around 2013 or so.

Best to them both!
--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old April 10th 16, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 5:35:47 AM UTC-8, Jill McQuown wrote:
I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
really can't keep up!

I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.

She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
"timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.

In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)

I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
either.

Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
the bed but she wasn't there.

I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
have to hide anymore!

It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
oh look, are these toys?! Yep.

It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
she has the run of the house.

The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
(perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
a nice comfy bed in there.

Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

Jill

Sylvia here. I've been ill for the last month, mainly pneumonia, but feeling well enough to come on line now and then, especially now.

Pit2nya is an only cat, by her choice. Her mother was rescued shortly before giving birth to a litter 13 years ago. I believe three survived. Pit2nya still visits her rescue-home, including her mother when we travel, less often recently.

She is a friendly cat, will approach visitors for petting. In the past year, she visits me in bed for a short cuddle and petting, then will either jump down, or lay at the end of the blanket ... but ready to play toe-mice!

Sylvia M

Old April 11th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Good point; I did ask about the thyroid in particular but I'll check
witich thyroid tests were done. But the whining really is a case of
the Boy Who Cried Wolf. He always whines so it's tough to know if
anythng speical is happening.

Alll of the tests that were done came back normal.
Old April 14th 16, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Cheryl wrote:

On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal.

I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you! It's been 2 months now. I miss her a lot - she was definitely a
heart cat - but at the same time, I'm thankful that she lived 18 good years
and that I got to share it with her. She was a sweet, affectionate, cuddly
little girl who would hang out with me whenever I was seated or lying down.
I miss my little computer-time companion.

She went into acute kidney failure, possibly as a result of the Prednisolone
we were giving her for other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite
and weight loss). The vet wasn't sure was causing them, but the two main
suspects were cancer and irritable bowel syndrome, both of which could be
helped by a steroid. And she did get better on the steroid, which made us
think we were on the right track. But then she suddenly tanked and was
found to have serious kidney damage, which she didn't recover from.

I'm trying not to focus too much on the possibility that we hastened her
death - it's possible she had the renal failure all along and that was what
was causing her symptoms after all. If that was the case, then it suddenly
got a lot worse, but that happens with CRF. The problem didn't show up in
her bloodwork until she was in a dire condition. I pulled out the stops -
had her on IV fluids for 2 days, and then brought her home to see if the
treatment would turn out to be effective. That whole time I was worried she
would suddenly go into an agonizing process of dying. She didn't, but the
treatment didn't help either, so I brought her back for the last time.
After she got the shot of sedative and went to sleep, I felt so relieved
that she was going to die peacefully.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old April 15th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 4/14/2016 5:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

[...]

You can never second guess treatment that makes them live a more
comfortable life in the NOW would hurt LATER. Cats live in the NOW.
Shamrock also had regular steroid shots for his skin problem and I'll
never second guess that it caused a shorter life. He was very loved as
was Roxy.

--
Cheryl