Flies & dry cat food ?

Old May 8th 05, 12:19 AM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Default Flies & dry cat food ?

I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside" cats,
and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get rid of 'em
(the flies) ?

Thanks,
Shell

Old May 8th 05, 01:13 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On 7 May 2005 16:19:54 -0700, "UsedtobeRumouredToBe"
wrote:

I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside" cats,
and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get rid of 'em
(the flies) ?

Thanks,
Shell

I do the same thing. The best you can do is to keep the food dry, and
to sweep up crumbs every day.
Old May 8th 05, 02:27 AM
bigbadbarry

UsedtobeRumouredToBe wrote:
I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside"

cats,
and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get rid of 'em
(the flies) ?

Thanks,
Shell

I hear ya, but the flies are coming from somewhere, the cat food is not
the source...You could also elevate the food onto say a porch table and
put a box fan blowing across the food...for a quick fix.

but the cat food is not the source, not that many flies, flies are
nasty they blo anything.

Look around your property, like neighbors dogs...a group of trash
cans...there's maggots somewhere

Bleach is very effective for localized sterilisation. porch, stairs,
patio...watch out for bleach on wood, I almost broke my neck, bleach on
wood is veeery slippery.

There's yard foggers, perimeter sprays (lowes sells a gallon with a
retractable nozzle)...never used it, but it claims to eliminate flying
insects wherever you spray...probably a good 2-4 day effect. Course
check label for pet warnings.

Old May 8th 05, 09:14 AM
John Doe

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote:

I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside"
cats, and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get
rid of 'em (the flies) ?

The cats that you are feeding, are they breeding more stray cats
which are often times destined for a very ugly life and death?

If you cannot have them neutered and spade, maybe best is to avoid
breeding them. Maybe providing fresh/clean water is OK, at least
it does not attract flies.

Good luck.
Old May 8th 05, 05:11 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

John Doe -- all six of the cats have been spayed/neutered, through the
good graces of AzCats. Thanks !

Old May 8th 05, 06:18 PM
John Doe

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote:

John Doe -- all six of the cats have been spayed/neutered,
through the good graces of AzCats. Thanks !

very cool IMO

some birds like dry food too

there are some grackels around here which take the neighbor dog food
and dip it in the birdbath to soften the dry food

taking it from a cat bowl probably is more risky

not that it might help, but I cut paper towels into quarters for use
as dry food bowl liners... every time the food is given, the quarter
paper towel is replaced with new

good luck

Old May 8th 05, 08:22 PM
Joe Canuck

UsedtobeRumouredToBe wrote:
I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside" cats,
and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get rid of 'em
(the flies) ?

Thanks,
Shell

Keep the food inside the house.
Old May 8th 05, 08:50 PM
John Ross Mc Master

On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:22:15 -0400, Joe Canuck
wrote:

UsedtobeRumouredToBe wrote:
I have a bowl of dry cat food in our backyard, for our "outside" cats,
and it is often over-run by flies; is there any way to get rid of 'em
(the flies) ?

Thanks,
Shell

Keep the food inside the house.

LOL If she keeps the food inside the house, how can she feed the
outside cats?
The best advice is just to keep the feeding area as clean as possible.
Oh, and don't leave the food out overnight. Vermin can get at it.
Old May 8th 05, 11:20 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Just a quick note; I, Shell, am a guy :-)

Old May 9th 05, 03:03 AM
bigbadbarry

UsedtobeRumouredToBe could make food bracelets for each cat.

Remember the little candy bracelets and necklaces you could buy.

Besides, I thought cats ate flies. eeeeww