"Cat People" - Are you stereo-typed by some peers.

Old April 28th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default "Cat People" - Are you stereo-typed by some peers.

On 27 Apr, 18:53, bookie wrote:
On 27 Apr, 18:15, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:

Oooo please do post how the brownies turn out. Anyone who says chocolate
isn't a food group is lying I tell you, LYING! :-)

I have to confess I burnt them, sorry, they seemed to have burnt on
the top on one side which is really annoying. the recipe said 40 min,
and so i left them in for 40 mins and they have burnt as a result

my world is crumbling around me now, i might have to make another
batch, which means going to the shops to buy more chocolate, and
caster sugar cos I have run out, depends how far down the burning goes

********

Try doing them under time. I do this and they turn out with a
wonderful very slight gooey consistency in the middle that eventually
does turn hard, but boy they are good, lol
S;o)

Old April 28th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 27 Apr, 17:21, Barry wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:47 am, Barry wrote:

I was watching a movie last night, one of the dialogs was how cat
people are basically introverted.
and, cat people are basically LONELY people.. (before they got their
cats)

I happen to know this is not true, that's silly. Most everybody here
is not introverted.
Lonely can be no respect of persons..

but still I wonder if there are any "cat ladies/men" here.

people who in their corner of the world are stereo-typed as a "cat
lady" and how does this effect you if at all.

I am known as that cat woman. but it does nothing to offend me. The
only downside to being known as that cat- woman is that everyone
brings their sick cats to me, & I have to turn them around and head
them towards the vet practise. Strays are another question
altogether...

are you peculiar in a conventional sense?

Not really. Being that cat-woman is just one face of my life. there
are many other parts that make my life whole, so I am not "just the
cat woman"...

do you avoid your neighbors, do you avoid running into people at the
grocery store... was you peculiar before or after you got cats?

No...

I think these are honest questions, it's just us talking you know

I have questioned myself about this too, & I feel more or less the
same way as Bookie does.
Some people might look @ us and say that we have been let down by
human beings somewhere along the line, which is why we have turned to
felines for reliable friendship and companionship too. I wouldn't
agree with that statement however, because we have other parts to our
life that we don't talk about in the group. there are people who live
locally who might think the same way, but they couldn't be further
wrong. I have so many other parts to my life, but I must admit to
choosing cats as a passion rather than a must have item.

People frown at me.. especially when I got Jupiter Spayed.. they said
"What a waste of money" "Maaaan throw that cat out and buy you some
groceries, or a bag of dope" **** like that.

I get the same sort of thing too, but It is something that I choose to
ignore, because those statements come from those who don't know
better..I pity them, look @ what they are missing?!!
S;o)

Old April 28th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lilah Morgan

People frown at me.. especially when I got Jupiter Spayed.. they said
"What a waste of money" "Maaaan throw that cat out and buy you some
groceries, or a bag of dope" **** like that.

They thought getting your cat fixed was a waste of money?! What about never
having to have any kitty litters to worry about? That would cost more in the
long run. Not to mention the health benefits to Jupiter alone would be worth
it.

Old April 28th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Apr, 15:43, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
People frown at me.. especially when I got Jupiter Spayed.. they said
"What a waste of money" "Maaaan throw that cat out and buy you some
groceries, or a bag of dope" **** like that.

They thought getting your cat fixed was a waste of money?! What about never
having to have any kitty litters to worry about? That would cost more in the
long run. Not to mention the health benefits to Jupiter alone would be worth
it.

very good point, well presented too

Old April 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Apr 27, 11:21?am, Barry wrote:

people who in their corner of the world are stereo-typed as a "cat
lady" and how does this effect you if at all.

The only way it affects me is that I get a lot of cats dumped out
here. My picture/name has been
in the paper a lot on humane society stories, everybody knows I'm a
crazy cat lady. They
figure it's a good place to dump a cat because they know I'll take
responsibility for it
and the shelter is a 20 mile drive.

are you peculiar in a conventional sense?

You have to ask !!??? :-)
I am a recluse but am not lonely in any sense of the word. I like
solitude. Now
that I think about it, cats do fit in with that kind of lifestyle
well.

do you avoid your neighbors, do you avoid running into people at the
grocery store... was you peculiar before or after you got cats?

Sometimes. I'm not much of a people person and have to be in the
right mood to chat with *casual* friends. Good, close friends, it's
different.

I think these are honest questions, it's just us talking you know

People frown at me.. especially when I got Jupiter Spayed.. they said
"What a waste of money" "Maaaan throw that cat out and buy you some
groceries, or a bag of dope" **** like that.

Yeah, there are lots of people like that. It's hard to be friends with
people whose
attitudes toward pets are so different from yours. It's finally
somehow evolved
to where about all my friends are animal people.

Sherry

Old April 28th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bawwy

Lilah Morgan wote:

They thought getting your cat fixed was a waste of money?! What about never
having to have any kitty litters to worry about? That would cost more in the
long run. Not to mention the health benefits to Jupiter alone would be worth
it.

well, we was all sitting on the porch smoking a blunt when I broke the
news to them
(that Jupiter was getting spayed)

but as it happened.. the night before I had rescued that hobbling
black mal-grown adult cat
(it looked like a kitten).. I told about it on here.. the thing was
near frozen and hobbling on it's ankles...
on ice.. at the car wash.. I brought it home on my bike see....

SO! I told them, "Seeeee! this is why I am getting Jupiter spayed", I
said "this way, no more suffering cats laying in car washes and bushes
hungry and mowing"...

they got quiet and said, "pass the blunt nigga! you goin be alright"..

something like that!

thing is.. is this the kind of people I hang out with? DAMN RIGHT! The
gang on my porch? sheeet, nobody ****s with me.

(cept them)

Old April 30th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Apr, 19:52, Sherry wrote:

Yeah, there are lots of people like that. It's hard to be friends with
people whose
attitudes toward pets are so different from yours. It's finally
somehow evolved
to where about all my friends are animal people.

i agree that it is hard to be friends with people who don't share the
same attitude towards animals as you do, I woudl take it to be a big
sign that me and another person are not going to click or be onthe
same wavelength at all if their attitude to cats, dogs, animals
generally, was one of 'kick them when they **** you off, get rid of
them when they get old and need help, it's only an animal and it
doesn't matter', in fact I would probably give that person a very wide
berth if they expressed such opinions.

I wouldn't say that ALL my friends are hard core animals people, nto
all of them have pets (not in a position to cos of where they live or
similar) or are as doting as I am to my pusscats and woudl spoil their
animals, but to be my friend you would have to respect animals and
show compassion towards them or you ain;tmy friend.
I certainly would not spend time voluntarily with someone who
actively disliked animals and who expressed the opinion that animals
(cats dogs whatever) had fewer rights to a comfortable life, medical
care when ill, protection, food, water, comfort, security, a life free
from fear and pain, all the things that i think they are entitled to
without question. unfortunately work etc means that occasionally one
has to associate with such ignorant people, but again i cretainly give
them a wide berth as they are obviously a bit strange and lacking in
compassion.

i just know that someone who loves cats is going to be a sound person,
adn anyone who takes in rescue cats and doesn;t care what colour they
are , how old, whether they have 4 legs or just 3, 2 eyes or just 1
(or even none), is going to be a really good egg and someone wh will
be a solid decent person.