making friends with a stray/homeless

Old December 12th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default making friends with a stray/homeless

Hello everybody. I hope someone can give me some advice about getting a
stray to be friendly towards me. Firstly, I've not had a pet cat since I was
four years old but now after a long career away from home, I'm ready to
start living normally again, that includes having pets.

There's this stray kitty I've seen hanging around my neighborhood for months
now (I've asked all the neighbors and all say it must be a stray-no collar).
So far, the cat appears to be only afraid of humans, not the dogs across the
street (the cat likes to come around in the evening and just sit and "stare"
at the dogs for a long time). The cat has eaten the tuna I've left out for
him, but only only after I've placed it a fair distance away. The cat has
also shared my meals of sausage links and fried chicken , but only after
I've tossed it to him from 50 ft. away. I've only given him a total of four
meals so far. As I've said, the cat seems afraid of humans, but not of other
animals including dogs, so what's wrong?

I'm hoping to get this cat wanting to hang around my place and if he likes
it here, then I'd like to keep him as a pet. Any ideas how to get this shy
kitty to see me as a "good guy"?

Old December 12th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I've been working with homeless cats for a long time, and I recommend that
you live-trap the cat, get him to the vet for an exam (include combo-test
to rule out FeLV/FIV), vaccination, worming, spay/neuter, flea treatment
-- and don't forget to look for an id chip in case a current owner is
involved), then confine him inside (cage or in a room of his own). If he
is someone's abandoned/lost pet, he will soon begin relating to you in a
friendlier way and will bond with you. If he is an outright feral and
wants no part of you, he can still live out his days in your backyard with
regular feedings from you.

This may sound like a pretty aggressive way to make friends, but it is in
the best interest of the cat. He will be vetted and safe while you make
his acquaintance with food and shelter and hands-on contact. Work with
your vet on evaluating the cat's temperment; try to find someone who has
experience with feral cats and a reputation for humane handling.

Campus Cats has an article of socializing shy cats (Taming the Tiger), but
our website is not in good shape right now. I could try to find that for
you if you are interested. I can also give you lots more advice on
catching the cat and getting is safely to your vet if you are interested.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Seattle

Old December 13th 05, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:45:49 +0000, Simple Simon Met a Pieman Going to the
Fair wrote:

[...]

Step I Keep good food and water coming. It will happen in time if
he/she feels safe. Good luck. MLB
Old December 13th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Pleased to hear from you, mlbriggs. Will do on the f&w. Any idea how long
this usually takes? The cat sometimes looks at me as if he's trying to make
up his mind to come closer, but always opts to go away after eating; once he
meowed at me very quietly from his safe distance but I could barely hear it.
is this a good sign?

news

Old December 13th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Thx for the helpful tips! I'm considering eventually resorting to using a
trap if I have to, but first, do you think there's much of a chance that
this cat might someday want to come to me of his own free will so that he
won't mind if I pick him up peacefully and drive him to the vet?

I'm unable to determine whether he's feral or not, but he looks well-groomed
and at a healthy weight, and seems self-reliant. He must have been living on
his own for a long time. Maybe some family left him behind when they moved?
I've seen him in an empty wooded lot near my home, socializing with another
cat, and eating from a discarded burger bag.

ashington.edu...

Old December 13th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

I've been working with homeless cats for a long time, and I recommend that
you live-trap the cat, get him to the vet for an exam (include combo-test
to rule out FeLV/FIV), vaccination, worming, spay/neuter, flea treatment
-- and don't forget to look for an id chip in case a current owner is
involved), then confine him inside (cage or in a room of his own). If he
is someone's abandoned/lost pet, he will soon begin relating to you in a
friendlier way and will bond with you. If he is an outright feral and
wants no part of you, he can still live out his days in your backyard with
regular feedings from you.

Or you could make him an indoor feral; I have several mixed in with my tame
ones. As Sharon has said, you do have to keep him in a room with no hiding
places until he gets used to being out in the open. Once he gets used to
sunning himself by the window and eating in the middle of the floor with you
in the room you can "release" him into the rest of the house. I accidentally
left my sliding glass door wide open for an hour once and not one of my
indoor ferals bother to get up off the sofa and walk across the room to
freedom. They learn where it's warm, dry, and soft.

ron

Old December 14th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:38:25 -0500, "Ron Herfurth"
wrote:

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
. washington.edu...

[...]

Trap them, place them indoors and feed them. That's the way to get
them to love you!
Old December 14th 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:45:49 GMT, "Simple Simon Met a Pieman Going to
the Fair" wrote:

I'm hoping to get this cat wanting to hang around my place and if he likes
it here, then I'd like to keep him as a pet. Any ideas how to get this shy
kitty to see me as a "good guy"?

Once upon a time - sometime in the mid seventies - I was living in a
mobile home park and there was a tiny feral calico cat in the
neighborhood. I started making friends by putting out food, then
going back inside, then staying outside but at ever decreasing
distances. Over a period on some months, she eventually let me touch
her, but not pet her, and then only when she was eating. She also got
very pregnant during that time and eventually had her kittens under a
nearby trailer.

Things took a turn for the strange on 4 July of that year. It had
been raining for a couple of days when she came to the front door and
meowed. I was startled, but opened the door. She came in and started
inspecting the place. She found that there were already three cats
living there, that there was plenty of food and water (she even
stopped for a snack to test the food), and that there were litter
pans. She also inspected for hiding places. Then she wanted out.

A little while later, she showed up again, this time with a red tabby
kitten in her mouth. I let her in and she put the kitten under the
couch. Then another red tabby kitten, and a third under the couch.

After delivering the third kitten, she lay down on the door mat and
called them - they came and nursed. She went out and was never seen
again.

Since red tabbies are males, I gave them boy names.

After a month or so, the kittens became tame enough to handle, and low
and behold, all three were females. They grew up to be mostly outdoor
cats, but were quite friendly when they were inside.

(Note: after some research, I discovered that a calico queen and a red
tabby tom produce red tabby kittens regardless of their sex.)

--
T.E.D. )
Old December 14th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:56:10 GMT, John Ross Mc Master wrote:

[...]

My mother-in-law has 3 so called wild ones that live indoors with her othe 5 former
strays. She calls them Wildone 1, 2 & 3. After about 3 years they are getting to the
point where they venture out but are ready to run at the strangest noise.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old December 16th 05, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

the Fair" wrote:

[...]

This is a very interesting story. I can't help wonder what became of the
little mother. MLB

"Making Arrangements" for Cats CatNipped Cat anecdotes 70 October 3rd 04 12:37 AM
Visiting your friends cats O J Cat anecdotes 17 September 29th 04 04:41 PM
Visiting your friends cats O J Cat anecdotes 3 September 14th 04 03:10 PM
Best Friends - OT O J Cat anecdotes 33 September 12th 04 09:03 PM
Thanks a bunch, my rpca friends................ BlueBird Cat anecdotes 6 January 12th 04 10:45 PM