Jet update #3 - the vet check

Old January 27th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Jet update #3 - the vet check

I took little cat to the vet this morning to get a thorough vet check
(although I didn't bother with blood tests and suchlike).

The news is generally good. He is definitely a pure-bred exotic
short-hair, neutered male (although the vet has as much trouble
checking his gender as I did - it's all black and fluffy down there
and it's difficult to see anything!). He's had his vaccinations too
(gave them this morning), so won't need any more for another 12
months).

The good news:

His teeth are in generally good condition. He weighs 4kg (what's
that, about 9 pounds in imperial?), which is on the light side, but
I'm sure that will change with the amount he's been eating! His eyes
are fine. He has a small scar on one cornea from an earlier injury,
but that is unlikely to cause him problems. He is approximately one
year old. He is, in every way, a nice cat.

The less good news:

Not precisely bad news - just things to be aware of and keep an eye
on.
He has one luxating patella (wobbly knee-cap) on his right (?) hind
leg. This does not cause him any pain or limit the action of his leg
at present, but it does mean that he is likely to get arthritis in
that knee when he is old. It is caused by in-breeding (it is a
genetic defect) and is very common in pure-bred cats and dogs.
The hip opposite his wobbly knee has compromised flexibility. Like the
knee, this does not currently cause him pain, but will mean that he'll
get arthritis there when he's older. No idea of the cause of this,
but again, it may be a breeding thing.
The third thing is his heart. He doesn't have a heart murmur, but he
has an irregular heart beat. He should be fine, especially once he's
settled into Dad's quiet, predictable life, but it is something to
mention to the vet should he find himself in medical trouble (I'm
guessing it might be an issue if he needs to have anaesthetic).
Again, nothing to be overly concerned about, but just to be aware of.

The groomer wasn't able to take him today, but I've booked him in for
next Thursday morning. She knows the breed very well and was very
enthusiastic about them. She says that they are generally very
laid-back and sociable. The main problem in the breed is the
bracycephaly (short head) which means that breathing is compromised
and snuffly. This little guy makes all sorts of strange noises when
he's purring, eating and grooming himself.

The thick, plush coat means that the breed suffers in hot weather,
particularly black ones. She strongly recommends having his belly
shaved by a professional groomer about once every 3 months. This will
go a long way to helping him keep cool and also keeping his belly-fur
free of burrs. I've asked her to shave him next week.

She went on, at some length, about what a wonderful breed these are
and what wonderful little personalities they have.

Now all I have to do (after he is groomed next week) is deliver him to
Dad!

Tish

Old January 27th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds as though he'll be perfect for your Dad. Keeping an eye out for
potential future problems often prevents them, and at least it insures
treatment if they do appear.

Joy

Old January 27th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
[...]

Sounds like Jet will be a good fit with your Dad. Purrs that they both
have lots of happy times together.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 27th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update, Tish, I'm so glad he's healthy. It's a sad reflection
though on those that breed cats for profit, inbreeding frequently causes
problems.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 27th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

She went on, at some length, about what a wonderful breed these are
and what wonderful little personalities they have.

Now all I have to do (after he is groomed next week) is deliver him to
Dad!

Keep us posted- I bet he's going to be spoiled!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 27th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lesley wrote:
Tish Silberbauer wrote:

She went on, at some length, about what a wonderful breed these are
and what wonderful little personalities they have.

Now all I have to do (after he is groomed next week) is deliver him
to Dad!

Keep us posted- I bet he's going to be spoiled!

There's no such thing as a spoiled cat, just a properly trained hoomin.
--
Snoopy

Old January 27th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

There's no such thing as a spoiled cat, just a properly trained hoomin.

In which case I have been well and truly trained. I made a big
diversion on Wednesday well out of my way because there were no IAMS in
the house and Sarrasine turns her nose up at any other dried food. (She
never used to, then she discovered IAMS and since then put any other
biscuit down and she looks as if to say "What makes you think I'll eat
this rubbish?!") Redunzel is more philosophical about food as she says
"I'm not fussy. I'll wat whatever's left after she's finished, you
can't afford to be fussy when your sister is a pig"

Old January 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lesley wrote:
There's no such thing as a spoiled cat, just a properly trained
hoomin.

In which case I have been well and truly trained. I made a big
diversion on Wednesday well out of my way because there were no IAMS
in the house and Sarrasine turns her nose up at any other dried food.
(She never used to, then she discovered IAMS and since then put any
other biscuit down and she looks as if to say "What makes you think
I'll eat this rubbish?!") Redunzel is more philosophical about food
as she says "I'm not fussy. I'll wat whatever's left after she's
finished, you
can't afford to be fussy when your sister is a pig"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Yes, your training is coming on well. ;-)

Old January 27th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:49:36 +1100, Tish Silberbauer
yodeled:

I took little cat to the vet this morning to get a thorough vet check
(although I didn't bother with blood tests and suchlike).

The news is generally good. He is definitely a pure-bred exotic
short-hair, neutered male (although the vet has as much trouble
checking his gender as I did - it's all black and fluffy down there
and it's difficult to see anything!). He's had his vaccinations too
(gave them this morning), so won't need any more for another 12
months).

He's such a beautiful cat-- again, a mystery. So glad for all the
good news.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old January 27th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

[...]

snip
Tish

Soncek weighs 4 kg, he has weighed 4 kg all his adult life.
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes that Jet's not so good news will
not bother him at all or as little as possible,
Polonca and Soncek