[OT] Is it just me?

Old January 28th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Is it just me?

-L. wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

I would except that it's illegal. Being illegal, in order to obtain
it you would have to go and see some very unsavory characters in
very unsavory parts of the city and you'd be putting your life in
danger. I'm not willing to do something illegal, and I'm certainly
not going to put my life in danger in order to do so - I'll stick to
Bayers.

LOL..you don't know the right people. The people who I know that
smoke
are professionals - a couple attorneys, a scientist, a couple
computer
guys. Oregon's #1 cash crop is pot. if the government was smart,
they
would make it legal and start taking their piece of the pie.

-L.

I agree, the government is missing out on a major cash crop. They could tax
it like they do cigarettes or booze and cut out the criminal element.

27 years ago I worked with a physician. (No, not *my* physician, although I
certainly smoked my share of pot with him before he went to medical school!)
Dr. S hosted a pool party at his house. It was a good mix of professional
folks from their mid-20's to their mid-60's. Some swam, some didn't. Some
were dressed up, some weren't. Dr. S came over to me at one point and said,
"The smoking room is the front spare bedroom down the hall from the front
door." I didn't need a decoder ring to know what he was talking about. His
brother had a farm someplace where he grew the stuff in a barn under grow
lights. No criminal middle-men involved; no "dealers". And the folks who
were in the "smoking room" were of all ages.

There were no (at least none I could see) real 'drugs' at this or subsequent
parties. No one was laying out lines of cocaine or anything like that.
Just the occasional joint being passed around in that front bedroom for
those who cared to imbibe. No one freaked out, got paranoid or thought they
could fly. No fights broke out. But I guarantee if the cops had raided the
joint, back then the good Dr. would have gone to jail along with a number of
other people.

To what purpose? How about concentrating on the people who are busy doing
home invasions, shooting, raping, killing people rather than someone with an
ounce or less of pot for personal consumption?

Jill

Old January 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
"dopekitty" wrote in message
-L. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Anyone else here who is considered "middle aged" but, with the
exception of
a few creaky bones, doesn't feel much different than when they
were 20? I'm
that way. I look in the mirror and think hmmm, you are older so
why don't
you feel older? But then again, my LLL asked me what the name
"Jill" means.
It means light-hearted or young at heart. And that I am. Of
course, he had
to morph it into "light-headed" but at least we can laugh at
ourselves

Jill

Oh, I totally feel the same - except I don't smoke dope any more.
-L.

heh... take it back up again... lots of older ladies i know smoke
pot for their various aches and pains

Kristy

I would except that it's illegal. Being illegal, in order to obtain
it you would have to go and see some very unsavory characters in very
unsavory parts of the city and you'd be putting your life in danger.
I'm not willing to do something illegal, and I'm certainly not going
to put my life in danger in order to do so - I'll stick to Bayers.

Sorry, but I've never bought pot from unsavory characters in unsavory parts
of the city. First it was high school students maybe a grade or two ahead
of me who definitely didn't know any "unsavory characters". They weren't
lurking around dark street corners like someone looking for hookers or
hard-core drugs. No one ever came to our school-yard trying to sell
anything to the "kiddies". It was just sort of a common part of the culture
in the early 1970's. I never really knew anyone who got into anything
harder than smoking pot or taking a drink.

I believe the culture is different now. Those of us over 40 who run across
the occasional joint aren't going to freak out about it. We usually know
where it came from. But those who are teens now, according to the media are
doing ecstacy and crystal meth and stuff I'd never have thought of doing.

Oh, and I never smoked pot when I was AT school. I went to my classes, got
A's in most of my subjects. It didn't fry my brain or lead me to harder
drugs. And when I got busy with other stuff and other social contacts in
later years, I wasn't in "da hood" looking for a pot fix.

Jill
Jill

Old January 28th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
snip

To what purpose? How about concentrating on the people who are busy
doing home invasions, shooting, raping, killing people rather than
someone with an ounce or less of pot for personal consumption?

If you feel so strongly about it, lobby to have the law changed rather
than simply breaking it.

If you read my original thoughts on this, I said I "occasionally" imbibe.
It's a rare occasion these days when someone asks if I'd like to smoke a
joint and I *don't* go out and buy it. But as a matter of fact I have
written to my state representatives about this. It's not a high (pardon the
pun) priority.

And if 'To what purpose?' isn't merely a rhetorical question - the
usual reasons for enforcing even unpopular or apparently victimless
laws (drug (including alcohol) infractions, prostitution, some
driving or smuggling offenses) include the necessity to treat every
citizen the same way under
the law, the necessity to maintain respect for the law (if you let
someone speeding just a little get away with it, the next person will
think it's OK to drag race on city streets) and the duty of the
police to enforce whatever the people's elected representatives vote
into law, no matter how silly it is. I'm sure there're other reasons
too.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am an otherwise very law abiding citizen.
If I find a wallet on the street I will not steal the money and credit cards
and use them. I know drinking impairs driving so I don't drink then drive.

But you bring up prostitution; it's another thing I see as a victimless
crime. It's legal in many places and if a guy wants to get his jollies off
with a stranger at least she's not some crack-ho standing on the corner with
who knows what diseases. Okay, his wife might be a "victim" but that's a
personal matter, don't you think?

The speeding turning into drag racing on city streets is a bit of a stretch,
IMHO. Drag racing is something teens do. There's enough road rage out
there these days without that. Everone is in such a hurry! Got to get to
work! Got to get to that meeting! Hey, smoke a joint, you'll get over
being in a hurry! You might want some Doritos, though

Jill