OT- Sept 1 Means 1 Thing

Old September 2nd 04, 08:15 PM
Bob M

jmcquown wrote:

Bob M wrote:
That fall is right around the corner! And an end to another long hot
Texas summer! My favorite time of the year is autumn followed by
winter. I become a little kid again at the first hint of Halloween. I
love to visit haunted houses on a crisp fall night.
Bob

I have a couple of true (as in, *I* experienced them) ghost stories. If
you'd like to hear them, let me know when you've pulled up a chair. Imagine
the scent of knewly mown hay and burning autumn leaves and the crackling of
a fire. Okay, it's not dark yet. Pretend it is. And I'll tell you a
couple of ghost stories

Jill

I would love to hear them! I have a couple of my own too.

Bob
--
Takeoff is an option.
Landing is a must!

And in the end on wheels we will depend.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:20 PM
Bob M

jmcquown wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
Me, me (waving hands) I want to hear a ghost story!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

In downtown Memphis, the oldest church is the 1st United Methodist Church.
Built in the 1700's, IIRC.

It was close to Christmas/Yuletide whatever you wish to call it and I heard
on the radio they were collecting computer components to build a sort of
classroom for homeless school children. They had CPU's and keyboards but
were suffering a short of monitors. I happened to have a spare one. LOL

So I enlist the aid of a friend and we hopped in the car one Saturday to
take this monitor to the church. It was about 10:30, maybe 11:00 in the
morning. The church was locked up tight. No one answered knocking on any
door. Paula and I were standing out in front of the church, what do we do
now? Just forget about it? The chimes in the clock tower chose that moment
to ring. I remember commenting, that clock is way wrong, it says 1:10.

A moment later this grizzled, creepy looking old guy came out and said,
"Were you knocking?" Yes. I have a monitor, I think you were asking for
donations? "Yes ma'am. My wife and I were upstairs making up gift bags for
the children. I'll carry that in for you."

Paula elected to stay outside. She said something like "I'm not going in
there." LOL "Thanks, Paula, I appreciate you letting me brave it alone."
The minute we get inside, the guy says, "This place is haunted." Oh? He
pointed to some stairs. Said, "Sometimes I hear the old caretaker sweeping
those steps. I just step aside, politely. He was caretaker here for 50
years." Uh huh. Can I get a receipt for that monitor? Oh sure! We rode
up in an ancient elevator and while he wrote out a receipt his wife showed
me the gift bags for the homeless children. Lovely! She explained about
the school project, teaching the children about computers. Turns out the
man and his wife are the current caretakers, formerly homeless themselves.

The man walked me back out. He said, you don't believe this place is
haunted, do you? I said well, I wouldn't know. He said, "You heard those
chimes, didn't you?" Yes sir. That clock hasn't had works in it for 30
years. It can't CHIME. The hair on my arms stood up. I stammered, "Well
the clock is wrong, anyway." He said, "Yes, it is. The hands froze solid
at 1:10 PM the day the former caretaker died."

Jill

Great story. I love this kind of stuff.

Bob

Old September 2nd 04, 08:28 PM
Bob M

Tanada wrote:

Bob M wrote:

Does anyone else out there have fond memories of autumn? I sure would
like to hear them.

Bob, September is my favorite month and not just because my purrday is
on the 17th (hint hint). I remember back in Washington State when one
would see an incredible blue sky, intensely green grass, and pure yellow
and red leaves on the trees. Listening to Neil Diamond's September
Morn, or some of the other songs that mention September. The hazy days
when the weather is just "perfect" not too hot or too cold during the
day and crisp and cool in the evening. The new year smell of the first
day of school, and one gets to meet their teachers for the next year.

For some reason September reminds me of puppies, big full moons, and the
feeling that time is suspended and one is in limbo. The first big frost
of autumn where you walk around the outdoors and objects sneak up, then
loom ominously in front of you. There are mornings where one walks out
and the grass is gray with dew and the air is clear and smells as though
it has been washed clean.

Nope don't like September and fall one bit. Right.

Pam S.

Wow. I just loved your descriptions.

Bob

Old September 2nd 04, 09:21 PM
CatNipped

"Bob M" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
I would love to hear them! I have a couple of my own too.

Bob
--
Takeoff is an option.
Landing is a must!

And in the end on wheels we will depend.

Oooo, tell, tell, please!

Hugs,

CatNipped