Shoulder nerve test OT

Old September 3rd 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Shoulder nerve test OT

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I had a test years ago which they claimed would cause very minor
discomfort, nothing more that a very mild cramping. I damn near went
through the ceiling.

Right. Doctors avoid the word "pain". I don't think most of them
realize
that calling severe pain "discomfort" is demeaning, as well as
misleading.
They don't want to get you scared, but I'd feel better if they'd just
say,
"This may hurt quite a bit, but it will accomplish (whatever), and I'll
make
it as quick as I can."

It's really backwards. I'd rather a doctor warn me that a procedure might
be painful, even very painful, so I can be prepared for it (or pleasantly
surprised if it's not), than the other way around! The few times I was
warned by a doctor that something was going to hurt, it turned out not
to hurt much at all. I felt so macho.

Joyce

I agree. If something is going to hurt, tell me so I'm not taken by
surprise. Of course, by this time, if they mention "discomfort" or "pinch"
(another favorite doctor euphemism for pain), I expect it to hurt.

Joy

Old September 5th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2011-09-02, Christina Websell
wrote:

Not here. It's all free.

Somebody is paying for it. The bureaucratic "use it or lose it"
principle is always at work. If a unit actually is efficient, it will
be rewarded by having its budget cut. Nowadays it will be cut anyway,
but perhaps not as much. C. Northcote Parkinson noted this years ago.

Well, what I meant is that it is free at the point of delivery and we do not
get a bill afterwards. I have paid a proportion of my salary for National
Insurance which includes funding for the National Health Service (as does
every working person) all my life, so in that sense it is not "free".
However if I get a severe illness or have a bad accident I don't need to
worry that it will bankrupt me.

Tweed

Old September 5th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message

BTDT and I'm so, so sorry you were hurt so badly. I was hoping that was
just my experience and my RSD is what made it hurt so bad. But I do
always prepare for the worst when the doctor says "some discomfort" - that
usually means pain through the roof

Purrs and prayers that those nerves will regenerate. Please keep us
updated on your progress.

You had a nerve conduction test? I can assure you if you did and it hurt it
was nothing to do with your RSD.
Thanks for the purrs and prayers.
Tweed

Old September 5th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message

BTDT and I'm so, so sorry you were hurt so badly. I was hoping that was
just my experience and my RSD is what made it hurt so bad. But I do
always prepare for the worst when the doctor says "some discomfort" - that
usually means pain through the roof

Purrs and prayers that those nerves will regenerate. Please keep us
updated on your progress.

You had a nerve conduction test? I can assure you if you did and it hurt it
was nothing to do with your RSD.
Thanks for the purrs and prayers.
Tweed

Yes, it was three whole years of every test they could possibly think
of. Finally, it was the symptoms themselves (sweating on one side not
the other, one hand feeling cold to someone else while the other felt
warm - but those were *advanced* symptoms that appeared only in the
third year, *way* too late to treat the RSD effectively). I actually
had two nerve induction tests.

Purrs will continue for as long as you need them sweetie, Archer is more
than happy to sacrifice his time to being stroked and brushed for your
benefit! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old September 5th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
It's really backwards. I'd rather a doctor warn me that a procedure might
be painful, even very painful, so I can be prepared for it (or pleasantly
surprised if it's not), than the other way around! The few times I was
warned by a doctor that something was going to hurt, it turned out not
to hurt much at all. I felt so macho.

When they started on my fingers and it was not too bad, I felt brave and
said it was easily coped with. I asked for it really, as I said "you are
speaking to a woman who tolerated the pain from a dislocated fracture for
two weeks without seeking help"
However it was so painful eventually that I could not stop tears springing
into my eyes, it was involuntary, it just happened as a result of the pain
without me wanting it to.
I was embarrassed afterwards. The doctor was apologetic, he said "we are
doing it to help you." I know that but I think I should have had a better
warning than the leaflet with my appointment letter gave me.
"you will not feel the needles once they have gone in"

I can assure you that needles that are put into your nerves can be felt at
every moment while you wait a minute or two to see what zuzzes come up on a
screen to see how they are working. I got around 20 needles, seemed more.
I never want to go through that again. There was blood all over my clothes
too.
Tweed

Old September 5th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
The leaflet that came with my appointment letter said "you might
experience some discomfort" so I was confident-ish when I got to the
hospital that it would not be too bad.

It wasn't. At first. The doc attached electrical thingies to my good
arm and then to my bad one and put rubber rings on my fingers. I could
feel the electric current but it was OK... I said this is not too bad,
better than I thought. Until he moved up my arm gradually. OMG. It got
worse and worse until he got up to the swollen part on my shoulder and
when the current went through that it brought tears to my eyes it was
such agony. After that I had to have needles put into every muscle to
get a reading from a machine, even in my hand. They say it will not
hurt you once the needle is put in. I can assure you it does. Mega.
Unfortunately the doctor that did this had a severe speech impediment so
I only got the drift of what he was telling me, which was my nerves are
not severed, damaged quite badly but they are showing slight signs of
regeneration. This is good, and he says 2 and half years will tell me
how it will be. Nerves can recover but there is a limited time for that,
apparently, my consultant says 18 months and you're shot. It's the
damaged nerves that make me unable to use my arm in a useful way. I want
to believe the 2-1/2 years is true and it can take that long and I will
be able to use my arm again within that time. 18 months does not seem
realistic atm Tweed

That's really good news. Purrs and prayers that the regeneration
continues.

Thanks. I don't know if regeneration hurts, but 18 painkillers/day do not
quite do the trick.
I still cannot drive more than an mile or two, but as it was my ambition to
get at least to the supermarket in my car I have achieved that. I could not
drive at all for months and had to beg friends/relatives to take me shopping
for my food and the chicken's food which involves a trip to a farm.
June gets me the chicken food, carries it in and puts it into my barrels, my
storage containers. It comes in 20 kg bags and there is no way I dare lift
them now. I hope I will be able to again as I so hate relying on other
people. June does it willingly but she has upwards of 20 dogs and a husband
who cannot stir his own cup of tea.
So I'd like to get back to independence.

It's surprising what you cannot do if the nerve that operates the muscle
that make your shoulder work is damaged. You cannot raise your arm more
than 45 degrees, cannot put your hand on the top of your head or put it
behind your back.
Not that I wanted to do these, but it's necessary for full function. For
women, being able to put your arms behind your back is important for bra
operation..

Tweed

Old September 5th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

Actually, I've worn nothing but sports bras for years. They don't fasten
behind the back. OTOH, I just realized you put them on over your head, so
that probably wouldn't work for you. However, they do make bras that fasten
in front. I suspect you also have a problem with your hair.

It seems to me that you have two problems, either of which would be a lot to
deal with. One is the pain, and the other is the things you aren't able to
do. Purrs that the function comes back and the pain stops.

Joy

Old September 5th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Actually, I've worn nothing but sports bras for years. They don't fasten
behind the back. OTOH, I just realized you put them on over your head, so
that probably wouldn't work for you. However, they do make bras that
fasten in front. I suspect you also have a problem with your hair.

It seems to me that you have two problems, either of which would be a lot
to deal with. One is the pain, and the other is the things you aren't
able to do. Purrs that the function comes back and the pain stops.

Yes, hair is a bit of a problem, I can wash it with one hand now but can't
make it look nice without two hands.
I thought the pain would have stopped by now but not so. 18 painkillers a
day keep it tolerable.
Thanks for the purrs.

Tweed

Old September 6th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Booker

On 9/5/2011 11:07 AM, Christina Websell wrote:

I can assure you that needles that are put into your nerves can be felt at
every moment while you wait a minute or two to see what zuzzes come up on a
screen to see how they are working. I got around 20 needles, seemed more.
I never want to go through that again. There was blood all over my clothes
too.
Tweed

Been there, done that. Yes, that test hurts like h*ll. The needles
actually are put in the muscles, and they make you contract the muscles
while they test the nerve impulses. Hurt the next couple of days, too. I
had it done in my leg due to nerve damage around my knee causing foot drop.

I eventually recovered completely. It took a long time, and nerve
regeneration hurts. Once you figure out which hurt is the nerve
regeneration, you can think of it as a "good" hurt, because it means
things will be working better. In my case, it was really nice not to
stumble every time I tried to walk.

I'm with you on the "never again" sentiment.
Old September 6th 11, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Booker" wrote in message

[...]

I believe I had that type of test on my wrist before I had carpal tunnel
surgery. I remember thinking that I had always believed you had to be a
prisoner in a foreign country to be tortured. I suspect that having it in
the shoulder or leg is much worse than just the wrist. My hearty sympathy
to anyone who undergoes that ordeal.

Joy

Does my older cat have a nerve disorder? James Egan Cat health & behaviour 4 December 30th 07 11:59 PM
The nerve! Amelia T Cat Cat community 12 February 20th 07 06:44 PM
Loud, CAT very Noisy! will not be quiet is on my last nerve PLEASe HeLP!!!! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 24 August 26th 06 11:07 AM
The NERVE of these hoomins! Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 March 15th 06 08:16 AM
The very NERVE!!! Mischief Cat anecdotes 8 June 18th 05 09:48 PM