Feeling challenged and confused

Old July 13th 04, 08:39 PM
Howard Berkowitz

Default Feeling challenged and confused

A lady friend told me last night that she felt overwhelmed by her pets,
two cats and a dog. If I understand correctly, each of the cats were
adopted by her children while living at home, but, with divorce, medical
school/residency, and law school, the pets remained at home.

While the cats' physical needs are met, they don't get much attention;
my friend is much closer to her dog. They seem pleasant enough cats when
I have interacted with them. One is a grey-and-white DSH, 13 years old,
and the other something VERY furry and younger -- I don't know the age.

My friend, however, asked me if I knew anyone who would take them, even
if she had to drive them a long distance from the Maryland suburbs of DC.

It's a messy situation, both personally and for the cats. I don't know
enough of the background to tell if the cats really were adopted for the
children, and then dumped on human Mom. I feel a very strong lifelong
commitment to mine, but I deliberately adopted them (or vice versa [1]).

One answer would be taking her cats, but I already have three and am not
sure how they would react. Now, there are some nice indications for me
that I might be starting to recover from the dot-com crash, but finances
aren't great, and I'm not sure I can provide the additional veterinary
coverage as needed. Maybe in a few months. My biggest concern, however,
is bringing two older and perhaps less socialized cats into my home with
three extremely affectionate, socialized and intelligent four-legged
family members.

Any bright thoughts?
Old July 13th 04, 09:06 PM
Sherry

[...]

It's hard to home adult cats. Especially two together. It would be a shame to
break them up. Can you foster them on a trial basis and see how it works out?
Or is there anything you can do for your lady friend to help make the cats less
overwhelming? What about the KIDS? Can adjustments be made so *they* can take
them? I don't intend to sound mean, but there's a little too much expectation
in this country that other people are available to assume responsibility for
pets that we are tired of.
I hope someone here can help you.

Sherry

Old July 13th 04, 09:07 PM
Karen

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
[...]

To me, the size of the home indicates how many cats can co-habit more than
anything. I don't now how big your home is. (I think if I had a second
bedroom I would today have 4 cats that include one precious silver point
persian.) I think it would be up to you as far as taking them. The next
suggestion I have is petfinder.org. I don't know if an individual can be on
there, but if not, maybe a no-kill can just sponser her on there so that
they can be listed. Anyone else?

Old July 14th 04, 01:27 AM
Christine Burel

Well, Howard, here's an idea -- maybe you and she could jointly work on
trying to find a good home for the kitties -- she could provide the house
and maybe you could go visit them frequently and work on socializing them.
Then after you had a good idea of what the kitties are like from working
with them you could make up a flyer with color photos of the kitties and
have their tale told (by a good writer). I'd check into all the no-kill
rescue cat groups in the area and talk with them and leave flyers, maybe
even some donation toward their group and see if their word of mouth or
contacts could help these kitties find a great home. It may take time but
it would be worth it for the kitties. Never in my wildest dreams would I
have thought I would be so lucky as to find a good home for the older FIV+
kitty, Pirate, but I did the flyer/photo deal and had a friend help me write
up Pirate's story and the people at one of the rescue groups remembered him
from that when they had someone looking for an FIV+ kitty!

Hope this is of some use.
Christine