Perhaps I'm mad...

Old October 12th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Perhaps I'm mad...

Perhaps I'm mad...

But yesterday evening I told Joel I thought perhaps I'd like to get a tattoo
in Shmogg's memory, as something permanantly with me to remind me of him.
Except I really couldn't decide what sort of tattoo or where.

This lunchtime I was out buying DVDs at the local shopping mall when
suddenly I was struck with the perfect idea of a permanant memorial for
Shmogg.

A Shmogg's eye coloured jewel is now decorating the very top of my left ear.
My hair covers it and its very small; you wouldn't be able to see it unless
you knew it was there, but *I* know its there and thats what counts. It
hurts a bit, but thats OK. Its an easier pain to deal with than the one in
my heart. And its like Shmogg still has an eye on me. Quite literally now.

~~~

I got up this morning and went through the usual routine - had a pee, turned
the PC on, turned the kettle out, and opened the fridge door to get the cat
food out. There was no open cat food in the fridge, so I looked in the
cupboard: we were out. I thought "oh ****". Only then did I realise that I
didn't actually *need* cat food.

But this is the weird thing: not only am I out of gooshy food, I am out of
kibble, and even *more* weird, I am out of cat litter. But dog food a
plenty.

More confirmation that it was 'time'.

~~~

Shmogg didn't fight at all going to the vet, or at the vet. Not a peep. He
sat curled up in his travel cage the whole way there. He didn't put up one
hint of struggle. He even allowed Joel to scratch him without scratching
Joel back. That morning, Cary gave him a big hug and kiss. Usulaly that
would have got Cary an angry swipe. Shmogg allowed it to happen.

Again: signs that it was time.

~~~

For the last week or so, I have been seeing a ghost cat - running up the
hall, chasing greeblings. I have heard a ghost cat purr in bed. I have felt
a ghost cat play bedmice with me.

I think perhaps this was Shmogg, who was already part way 'over' already.

This seems like another sign that the time was right.

~~~

The number of things yesterday (and indeed, the few days previous) that said
"if you love someone, set them free" were too numerous to mention. Songs on
the radio, people talking, things I saw, memories, etc etc. I am not usually
a superstitious person, but these all tell me that as much as it hurts, this
was the right thing to do. Yesterday was a day of death, but today, today is
a celebration of a life well lived, a life of love and laughter - and
******* cat tricks. I couldn't have asked for a better, more loyal, more
loving cat, a cat with a better sense of humour or wicked *******ry. If he
sends a cat that has even half the pure catly chutzpah he had, I'll surely
have my hands full! But not now, now is the time for memories and healing.
I'll trust Shmogg to know when to tell Bast I need another owner - whether
of course I know it or not.

Thanks everyone for their support and sympathy. Those who have gone thorugh
it before hand know just how much it means, how much it helps with the
hollow empty feeling. Thankyou, you are great friends.

Yowie

Old October 12th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Yowie wrote:
Perhaps I'm mad...

I don't think you're mad. That's a wonderful thing to have one in
tribute of Shmogg. I don't even dare tell people what I have in the
little cylinder hanging round my neck - a little of Frank's ashes. They
would surely lock me up. But it gives me great comfort to have him with
me always.

Old October 12th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Perhaps I'm mad...

But yesterday evening I told Joel I thought perhaps I'd like to get a tattoo
in Shmogg's memory, as something permanantly with me to remind me of him.
Except I really couldn't decide what sort of tattoo or where.

I met a couple of people recently who had beautiful tattoos of their
cats. Now that is a loyal cat slave!

A Shmogg's eye coloured jewel is now decorating the very top of my left ear.
My hair covers it and its very small; you wouldn't be able to see it unless
you knew it was there, but *I* know its there and thats what counts. It
hurts a bit, but thats OK. Its an easier pain to deal with than the one in
my heart. And its like Shmogg still has an eye on me. Quite literally now.

That's a *lovely* memorial! What a great idea.

For the last week or so, I have been seeing a ghost cat - running up the
hall, chasing greeblings. I have heard a ghost cat purr in bed. I have felt
a ghost cat play bedmice with me.

I think perhaps this was Shmogg, who was already part way 'over' already.

Or, maybe a ghost friend, who came to show him the way to the RB?

Thanks everyone for their support and sympathy. Those who have gone thorugh
it before hand know just how much it means, how much it helps with the
hollow empty feeling. Thankyou, you are great friends.

Who will understand what it's like, better than another pet lover?

Purrs,
Joyce
Old October 12th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathryn[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
Perhaps I'm mad...

But yesterday evening I told Joel I thought perhaps I'd like to get a
tattoo in Shmogg's memory, as something permanantly with me to remind me
of him. Except I really couldn't decide what sort of tattoo or where.

This lunchtime I was out buying DVDs at the local shopping mall when
suddenly I was struck with the perfect idea of a permanant memorial for
Shmogg.

A Shmogg's eye coloured jewel is now decorating the very top of my left
ear. My hair covers it and its very small; you wouldn't be able to see it
unless you knew it was there, but *I* know its there and thats what
counts. It hurts a bit, but thats OK. Its an easier pain to deal with
than the one in my heart. And its like Shmogg still has an eye on me.
Quite literally now.

What a nice way to keep Shmogg with you. I think I was a bit mad when Sesame
went to the bridge, everytime I found a bit of cat hair on my clothes I
would carefully pick it off and sticky tape it to a piece of paper. I almost
felt like I didn't want any part of her to be thrown away.

Then after all my clothes had been through the wash I was really sad when I
realised there was no more cat hair on my clothes. Crazy indeed.

It's been nine months and I still think about her heaps. I went to the pet
store this week to get some gravel for my aquarium, and there was a gorgeous
young kitty there. I stopped to pet and talk to her, and then starter crying
in the middle of the store. Our kitties touch our lives so deeply and they
do stay with us.

Take care

Kathryn

Old October 12th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Yowie wrote:
Perhaps I'm mad...

snip

I don't think you're mad, but then, sanity is overated.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 12th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I got up this morning and went through the usual routine - had a pee,
turned the PC on, turned the kettle out, and opened the fridge door to
get the cat food out. There was no open cat food in the fridge, so I
looked in the cupboard: we were out. I thought "oh ****". Only then
did I realise that I didn't actually *need* cat food.

Yeah, Sunday morning I left for the first multi-day trip since Zach
succumbed to kidney failure some months back. As I realized I did not have
to fill the fountain or leave the food in the closet or call my niece to
check on Zach once a day or close the door to the room with the ham radio
stuff I became very sad. It really put a damper on my trip knowing there
was no one left behind in need of care.

Andy
Old October 12th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

We'd be the last ones to tell you you're "mad," anyway.

Big hugs and purrs.

Old October 12th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 11, 11:32 pm, "Yowie"
wrote:
[...]

Yowie, I haven't replied to your threads yet. I tried, and just
couldn't find
the words. Just know that I've been thinking about you a lot.
I don't think you're mad at all. Schmogg was a huge part of your life,
and
always will be. I"ve known people who had pendants they wore with
a bit of their beloved cat's ashes around their necks. I didn't think
that
was weird either.
Part of your post just made my hair stand on end though. I know the
"ghost cat".
I saw the ghost cat after Cherokee went RB. Always in my peripheral
vision. Just
a glance. But it was there. For about a week after he died. You know
what a
practical sort I am, and it's not like me to tell something like that.
But it's true.

((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Sherry

Old October 12th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

When Ike went to the bridge (disappeared) about 9 years ago, I had one
of his pictures blown up to poster size and hung it in my bedroom. I
say good night to him every night.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 14th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:47:53 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Yowie wrote:
Perhaps I'm mad...

I don't think you're mad. That's a wonderful thing to have one in
tribute of Shmogg. I don't even dare tell people what I have in the
little cylinder hanging round my neck - a little of Frank's ashes. They
would surely lock me up. But it gives me great comfort to have him with
me always.

I have a lock of Amber's soft fluffy hair in a jewelled locket. And
his best picture on my desk.

--
CATherine