How Long to Adjust to Country Life?

Old September 6th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Default How Long to Adjust to Country Life? - Green Acres

Well you are right up there on the idiot list with her if you think they
will be OK.

There are a hell of a lot of dangers on a farm anywhere from farm equipment
to getting attacked by a dog, coyote or fox. And I know a hell of alot more
about farm life than you do. At least I have enough common sense not to do
something like this to house pets.

Celeste

"sosessyithurts" wrote in message
oups.com...

Spot wrote:
Oh jezzzzzzzus talk about and idiot.

Maybe you have to move but you could have found a better solution than
dumping indoors cat out on a farm someplace. They will be dead inside of
year.

That's just brilliant Spot

Lets dump you on a farm, you would probably get on your hands and knees
and suck an ol cow tit to get milk.

You'd prolly stick your finger up a chickens ass looking for an egg

A woman in Volusia County, Fla., has three months to get rid of nearly
170 cats living at her home after a request to keep them was denied,
according to a Local 6 News report.

Keep Manhattan, give me the countryside

Old September 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default How Long to Adjust to Country Life?

Anne wrote:
Well, the door the the pen was opened this morning. Hopefully they will
venture out and get familiar with the new surroundings. I feel terrible
for doing this, but here in our city, they would be euthanized the
shelters are overflowing with cats.
Buddy's Mom wrote:
You are deceiving yourself. There is no such thing as a "safe" farm
for indoor cats. Like others have said, there are dogs, ferel cats and
also coyote - just for starters. Please take them to a shelter - they
would be better off there than where you have them.

Anne wrote:
I had to take my 3 kitties out the farm, they have always been indoor
cats. It has been 1 week and they are still terrified of everything.
There are no other animals that can approach them, just the wild barn
kitties, but they can hear dogs, goats and pigs. Has anyone been in
this situation and how long did it take for the cats to adjust? They
are about 4 years old.

Anne, they *will* eventuall adjust. Cats are adaptable. It is not in
their favor, though, that they're house cats and don't have any "street
smarts." Being fearful actually increases their chances of survival in
the meantime, though. Cats who are too bold around livestock end up
getting stepped on. These may not apply to their barn, but here are a
couple of suggestions: Be sure they are provided fresh water. Cats will
try to drink out of stock tanks if they don't have water, and can drown
in the metal ones if the water level is low. It will help tremendously
if the owners can lock them up in a tackroom or something at night.
Predators mostly come out at night, and even a raccoon will on occasion
tangle with the cats. Make sure the owner isn't currently leaving
poison out for rats/mice.

I know some of this may not apply, but it's all I can think of right
now. I keep cats in the barn; they're feral cats that were trapped and
brought to the humane society. Being a barn cat is a great life for
them, better than they would ever have. With your former house cats,
it's different, and it's too bad you could not find a gig for them as a
house cat. But even so, with some TLC and caution, I do think they'll
adjust.

Sherry

Old September 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sosessyithurts

Spot wrote:
Well you are right up there on the idiot list with her if you think they
will be OK.

ouch stop you're hurting me

There are a hell of a lot of dangers on a farm anywhere from farm equipment
to getting attacked by a dog, coyote or fox. And I know a hell of alot more
about farm life than you do.

well! why didn't you just say you knew more than me
coulda saved me a post

At least I have enough common sense not to do
something like this to house pets.

well a shelter is no picnic, physically or mentally
i'd rather take my chances on a farm than eat and crap in a small 18" x
26" wire cage

remember "burger and fries" the cat video someone poasted on here?

Anne has already said was safe, but wait! that's right...
according to you she's an idiot.. nevermind, i forgot about that

stick around Spot, we need someone like you to keep us idiots from
doing idiotic things

have you checked the children bitch?

Old September 13th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Anne

Well, so far so good. My family members have seen them playing with the
wild cats. It seems even the tamest has now turned wild and will run
and hide from my family member when he comes to feed them. He used to
not run from him, but the other two ran from everyone. Do you think
maybe my cats are playing "follow the leader" since the wild cats have
lived there longer?

Old September 14th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Anne wrote:
Well, so far so good. My family members have seen them playing with the
wild cats. It seems even the tamest has now turned wild and will run
and hide from my family member when he comes to feed them. He used to
not run from him, but the other two ran from everyone. Do you think
maybe my cats are playing "follow the leader" since the wild cats have
lived there longer?

Tame cats will revert to being feral in sometimes as little as two
weeks. Your cats will revert to being feral.

-L.

Old September 17th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

-L. wrote:
Anne wrote:
Well, so far so good. My family members have seen them playing with the
wild cats. It seems even the tamest has now turned wild and will run
and hide from my family member when he comes to feed them. He used to
not run from him, but the other two ran from everyone. Do you think
maybe my cats are playing "follow the leader" since the wild cats have
lived there longer?

Tame cats will revert to being feral in sometimes as little as two
weeks. Your cats will revert to being feral.

-L.

If they use farm machinery on fields, tell them, if possible, to look
out for any cats since it's very easy to take the leg off a barn cat
who is lazing about in the field and for some reason does not hear the
tractor or does not realize the tractor is pulling a whirling blade or
machinery of some kind.

Old September 17th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

wrote in message
oups.com...

If they use farm machinery on fields, tell them, if possible, to look
out for any cats since it's very easy to take the leg off a barn cat
who is lazing about in the field and for some reason does not hear the
tractor or does not realize the tractor is pulling a whirling blade or
machinery of some kind.

Back in the days when I was a child and my family rented an old farmhouse,
we used to let our cats outdoors. When hay season began in late July, we
were smart enough to keep the two outdoor cats indoors. The third cat began
life as an outdoor cat but we kept her indoors after one of her hind legs
was broken when she was hit by a pickup truck.

Since then, all of my family's cats have been kept indoors.