"Let me SHOW you what you can do with this!"

Old November 10th 03, 02:37 AM
CajunPrincess

Default "Let me SHOW you what you can do with this!"

I think I have heard of this behavior before, but seeing it just
cracks me up.

The vet from whom we adopted Kona and Sabastian (f/k/a Avery)
recommends leaving out Hill's dried food and feeding the cats Hill's
wet food once a day. Both like the kibble. Sabastian likes the wet
food OK. Kona is another story.

Kona will saunter up to the bowl with the wet food in it and sniff it.
He knows what's in there but he sniffs it every time. He looks up,
moves away, backs up to the bowl, and proceeds to VIGOROUSLY make
digging motions back towards the bowl with his front paws-just like,
yep, what he does in the litter box. Not only once, but menuvering
around the bowl to aim his digging motion towards what he obviously
regards as "crap" so as to cover it with imaginary dirt from several
angles. He *is* thorough, that one.

I can just see the thought process: "Here, let me SHOW YOU [vigorous
digging, move to another angle] EXACTLY [vigorous digging, move to
another angle] what I THINK [vigorous digging, move to another angle]
of this **** you're trying to pass off as food! [vigorous digging
motion]" Look up, amble off.

Oh, GOD this is so funny. For now, I'm passing on trying to feed Kona
any more of the soft food since it's pointless (however, he will go
over to Sabastian's bowl and do the same routine with Sabastian's
food). Going to consult with the vet this week about what to do about
this and a few minor behavioral difficulties that have cropped up.
Kona is extremely jealous of attention being shown to Sabastian and
Kona has instigated a few minor fights/chases; Sabastian is now a
little stressed by Kona's presence and is not as affectionate as he
first was-I'm hopeful that this will get ironed out soon.
Old November 10th 03, 08:15 PM
Victor Martinez

CajunPrincess wrote:
I think I have heard of this behavior before, but seeing it just
cracks me up.

Ours do the same when we feed them wet food they don't like. Why don't
you try other brands? Ours love the Nutro Gourmet California Supreme
flavor and the new ProPlan canned foods.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 11th 03, 12:16 AM
CajunPrincess

Victor Martinez wrote in message . ..
CajunPrincess wrote:
I think I have heard of this behavior before, but seeing it just
cracks me up.

Ours do the same when we feed them wet food they don't like. Why don't
you try other brands? Ours love the Nutro Gourmet California Supreme
flavor and the new ProPlan canned foods.

I'm guessing that we'll end up switching (will kinda miss the show,
though). I'm going to ask the vet about it along with some other
questions this week. Interestingly, our vet's standing recommendation
is to stick to one brand/flavor all the time (they recommend Hill's)
and to consult with them if it appears the cat is not eating before
switching brands/flavors (they have a tech whose duties include
providing advice over the phone to those who adopt about any kind of
behavioral or health issues). The vet's theory is that if you vary
brands/flavors, you encourage finicky eating behavior. I'm sure that
they don't advise sticking to this practice if a cat refuses to eat
entirely for some reason. Fortunately, in this case the problem
relates only to the wet food we feed Kona. I hope the solution
doesn't involve carrying different brands of wet food for each cat,
but if it does it won't be the end of the world.
Old November 11th 03, 12:58 AM
Victor Martinez

CajunPrincess wrote:
behavioral or health issues). The vet's theory is that if you vary
brands/flavors, you encourage finicky eating behavior. I'm sure that

I would have to disagree with your vet, based on our own experience. Our
cats *love* variety. They will get tired of a flavor of food and stop
eating it. However, if you feed them the same food a few weeks later,
they'll go bonkers trying to eat it all. I think they enjoy variety as
much as we do.
Besides, there are much better foods out there than Hills. I highly
recommend Innova and Felidae, if you can get them.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 11th 03, 05:57 AM
Marina

"CajunPrincess" wrote

Interestingly, our vet's standing recommendation
is to stick to one brand/flavor all the time (they recommend Hill's)
and to consult with them if it appears the cat is not eating before
switching brands/flavors (they have a tech whose duties include
providing advice over the phone to those who adopt about any kind of
behavioral or health issues). The vet's theory is that if you vary
brands/flavors, you encourage finicky eating behavior.

That is really interesting. I've come to the exact opposite conclusion. I
feed my cats different food every day, and always have, and rarely do I find
any food left in their bowls. I give them about 50-50 wet food and fresh
meat, and a small handful of dry food in the evenings as a treat. The only
times they won't eat they are either sick, or I've had to grab a tin of
cheap food at the market because I didn't have time to go to the pet store
and get some proper food, and they won't eat cheap food. I don't blame them.
;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 12th 03, 10:08 PM
Jette Goldie

CajunPrincess wrote:
I think I have heard of this behavior before, but seeing it just
cracks me up.

Ours do the same when we feed them wet food they don't like. Why don't
you try other brands? Ours love the Nutro Gourmet California Supreme
flavor and the new ProPlan canned foods.

My two got the brand "9 out of 10 cats prefer" this week when
I was at the supermarket. Unfortunately they are BOTH the
"tenth cat" ;-)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/