Rabies Vaccine Mandatory in NJ?

Old June 7th 04, 09:57 PM
Laura R.

Default Rabies Vaccine Mandatory in NJ?

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:11:41 +0200, in alt.cats, Camilla Baird
) said,
27 states, plus the District of Columbia, require feline rabies
vaccination. Indoor status doesn't exempt a cat, the assumption being
that it could someday get out and get infected. It's frustrating, but
there's not much you can do about it.

Ask your veterinarian to use an adjuvant-free vaccine, and if s/he
won't, then find a new vet. Adjuvants are strongly suspected of
causing injection-site sarcomas in cats, specifically in the rabies
and FeLV vaccines.

Laura

Laura,
Do you happen to know which 27 states these are? or can you direct me to
a link where I can find the info, please?
Camilla

Well, it appears that there are now 29 states that have mandated
vaccination for cats. The short and sweet list of states is as
follows:

States that require vaccination (for Alabama and Hawaii, I found
import restrictions but nothing about resident animals):

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

The more detailed stuff is he

Alabama- requires proof of rabies vaccination not more than 1 year
old for cats (or dogs) being brought into the state.

Alaska- Cats (and dogs) are required to be vaccinated ~12 weeks and 1
year, followed by triannual boosters.
http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulle...s/b2002_01.htm

Arizona- Cats four months of age and older are required to be
vaccinated. Frequency (annual or triennial) dictated by vaccine used
and age of animal.
http://www.ajcity.net/afp/ac/AC_Rabies.cfm

Arkansas- annual vaccination required.
http://www.healthyarkansas.com/services/rabies_main.htm

California- annual vaccination required.
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/rabi...0and%20Control

Colorado- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/zoon...es/comp-02.pdf

Connecticut- vaccination required; cats 4+ months with 1-year
booster, followed by triennial boosters.
http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2003/pub/...Sec22-339b.htm

Delaware- cats 6+ months must be vaccinated and owner must maintain
valid vaccination certificate. Revaccination frequency determined by
vaccine used.
http://www.delcode.state.de.us/title3/c082/index.htm

Florida- triennial vaccination required
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...ebook/rabies00
..pdf

Georgia- annual vaccination required
http://www.gpc.dhr.georgia.gov/00/ar...086,5640847_0_
11794808,00.html

Hawaii- because there is no rabies in Hawaii, requirements to bring
animals into the state are complex; quarantine requirements have been
reduced (five days) if animals meet specific requirements. No record
of required vaccination for resident animals that are not leaving the
state.
http://www.hawaiiag.org/AQS/aqs-checklist-resident.PDF
http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/Members/st...003-06-23.3313
Idaho- vaccination recommended.
http://www2.state.id.us/dhw/cdp/bulletin/db12-99.htm
http://www2.state.id.us/dhw/news/200..._rabidbats.htm

Illinois- requirements defined by local governments. For example:
http://www.co.lake.il.us/health/pdfs/ehs/art_x.pdf

Indiana- annual vaccination required beginning at 3 months of age.
http://www.in.gov/boah/companion/rabies/fact_sheet.html

Iowa- no vaccination requirements for cats found.
http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/cat_licensing.pdf

Kansas- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/epi/down...endium2004.pdf

Kentucky- vaccination required for cats that are exhibited or sold;
annual/triennial requirements depend on age of animal at first
vaccination. Cats not required to be vaccinated otherwise, but local
governments are permitted to implement requirements.
http://www.kyagr.com/state_vet/ah/Sa...s.htm#Section9
http://tinyurl.com/2pa5y

Louisiana- vaccination required.
http://www.sbpanimal.homestead.com/RVD.html

Maine- vaccination required.
http://www.maine.gov/dhs/etl/rabies/rabiesfacts.htm

Maryland- vaccination required. Annual/triennial requirement
dependent on vaccine and age of animal.
http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/publ-rel...3/0503tara.htm

Massachusetts- vaccination required. Booster frequency determined by
vaccine used.
http://www.mass.gov/agr/legal/regs/animal_1000%7E1
_rabiesprevention.pdf

Michigan- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/PageServer?
pagename=vetcare_felineDesease
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusmist287_290.htm

Minnesota- vaccination required; frequency of booster determined by
type of vaccine.
http://server.admin.state.mn.us/resource.html?Id=2867

Mississippi- vaccination required; triennial vaccine and boosters.
http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite...42,pdf/Recomme
ndationsForVets%2Epdf

Missouri- locally mandated requirements.
http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...ets/g09940.htm

Montana- locally mandated requirements
http://www.ci.helena.mt.us/text/safety/animal/

Nebraska- vaccination required.
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144002.html
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144003.html
http://www.nol.org/legislative/statu.../R7144001.html

Nevada- triennial vaccination required
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Register/...r/T058-99A.pdf

New Hampshire- vaccination required. Frequency of booster dependent
on vaccine (?)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...36/436-100.htm

New Jersey- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/cat_licensing.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/rabies.htm

New Mexico- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.sandovalcounty.com/Ordina...alControl.html

New York- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.lovethatcat.com/stny.html

North Carolina- vaccination required.
http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/rabies/

North Dakota- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.health.state.nd.us/diseas...escomp2002.pdf

Ohio- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.odh.state.oh.us/ODHProgra...bs/DWRab/DWRab
Pt3.pdf

Oklahoma- vaccination not mandated.
http://www.health.state.ok.us/progra...col/rabies.pdf

Oregon- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.vil.oregon.wi.us/Clerk/Pet%20Licensing.htm
http://www.hswv.com/adoption.html

Pennsylvania- triennial vaccination required after first series.
http://tinyurl.com/29van

Rhode Island- vaccination required.
http://www.state.ri.us/dem/programs/...ild/rabies.htm

South Carolina- vaccination required.
http://www.scdhec.net/news/releases/...3clinics02.htm

South Dakota- vaccination required; booster frequency determined by
vaccine used.
http://nsu-cc.northern.edu/aac/rabies.html

Tennessee- vaccination required.
http://www.state.tn.us/sos/acts/103/pub/pc0765.pdf

Texas- vaccination required; may be annual or triennial depending on
whether Texas rabies law change has passed.
http://texascats.com/region3/legisla...law_update.htm

Utah- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.ci.west-
valley.ut.us/citycode/West_Valley_City_Municipal_Code/Title_
23/4/102.html
http://www.co.tooele.ut.us/t8c6s2.html

Vermont- vaccination required.
http://www.vermontagriculture.com/restright.PDF

Virginia- vaccination required, boosters according to vaccine used.
http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/ps/ac/rabfacts.htm

Washington- locally mandated requirements.
http://www.mrsc.org/Subjects/PubSafe...se.aspx#Rabies

West Virginia- vaccination every two years required.
http://www.animalcareassociates.com/dchealth.html

Wisconsin- vaccination not required for cats.
http://www.wvma.org/news02.asp

Wyoming- locally mandated requirements; "rabies districts".
http://www.wyadmb.com/Chapter25.PDF

Also, the laws are different if you're *traveling* into a state with
an animal, as listed he
http://www.oda.state.or.us/ahid/anim...&catPrint.html

Last, the above are all the results of my own research and I can't
guarantee complete accuracy, although I tried to be as diligent as
possible in researching.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 7th 04, 10:00 PM
Laura R.

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:57:29 GMT, in alt.cats, Laura R.
) said,
Well, it appears that there are now 29 states that have mandated
vaccination for cats.

Oops...28.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Camilla Baird

Laura R. wrote:
circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:57:29 GMT, in alt.cats, Laura R.
) said,

Well, it appears that there are now 29 states that have mandated
vaccination for cats.

Oops...28.

Laura

Thanks a lot for that very goos and detailed info! :-)
Camilla

Old June 7th 04, 11:47 PM
Laura R.

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:57:29 GMT, in alt.cats, Laura R.
) said,
California- annual vaccination required.
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/rabi...0and%20Control

Crud. Amend this to "locally mandated requirements; state requires
rabies control programs."

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 7th 04, 11:48 PM
Laura R.

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:47:35 GMT, in alt.cats, Laura R.
) said,
) said,
California- annual vaccination required.
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/rabi...0and%20Control

Crud. Amend this to "locally mandated requirements; state requires
rabies control programs."

Which, of course, puts us back at 27 states that require vaccination
at the state level. I'll run through my list, check it for errors and
repost later.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde