Triple vaccine side effects?

Old May 26th 05, 09:08 PM
Alex Panda

Default Triple vaccine side effects?

Our 3 year old has had his triple vaccination this morning for leukaemia,
entiritis and flu - and after being fine on returning home is now lethargic,
off his food and showing signs of annoyance when we stroke him, which is
very unlike him as he has a sweet nature.

Is this common or should we be worried? Any action we should take? He is
lying on the bed at the moment.

--

Alex

Old May 26th 05, 09:28 PM

Alex Panda wrote:
Our 3 year old has had his triple vaccination this morning for leukaemia,
entiritis and flu - and after being fine on returning home is now lethargic,
off his food and showing signs of annoyance when we stroke him, which is
very unlike him as he has a sweet nature.

Is this common or should we be worried? Any action we should take? He is
lying on the bed at the moment.

--

Alex

I'm not sure what entiritis and flu vaccines specifically are, but many
cat do feel badly after vaccinations. He should perk up by morning.
Watch him and be sure he isn't off his food for more than a day.
Our cat had a bad reaction to vaccinations, and the first sign was
vomiting almost immediately after we got him home. He, also went off
his food and ended up almost dying. If he isn't eating tomorrow and
still acts weird, I'd give the vet a call.

Sherry

Old May 26th 05, 10:08 PM
Mary

"Alex Panda" wrote in message
o.uk...
Our 3 year old has had his triple vaccination this morning for leukaemia,
entiritis and flu - and after being fine on returning home is now

lethargic,
off his food and showing signs of annoyance when we stroke him, which is
very unlike him as he has a sweet nature.

Is this common or should we be worried? Any action we should take? He is
lying on the bed at the moment.

What Sherry said, and in the future, know that three shots are a lot for
one little kitty. I was worried sick one time after I allowed the vet to
give Cheeks her Depo Medrol shot plus two others. She was puny
for days, just sleeping, eating little, grumping at me if I petted her,
and having a warm nose.

Old May 26th 05, 10:08 PM
Karen

It is fairly common but if does not perk up by tomorrow (or other severe
symptoms go earlier), take kitty in. Sometimes they need hydration. Most of
the time they are normal within 24 hours.

o.uk...

Old May 26th 05, 11:05 PM

Mary wrote:
"Alex Panda" wrote in message
o.uk...
Our 3 year old has had his triple vaccination this morning for leukaemia,
entiritis and flu - and after being fine on returning home is now

lethargic,
off his food and showing signs of annoyance when we stroke him, which is
very unlike him as he has a sweet nature.

Is this common or should we be worried? Any action we should take? He is
lying on the bed at the moment.

What Sherry said, and in the future, know that three shots are a lot for
one little kitty. I was worried sick one time after I allowed the vet to
give Cheeks her Depo Medrol shot plus two others. She was puny
for days, just sleeping, eating little, grumping at me if I petted her,
and having a warm nose.

I let the vet give Biskit the entire vax series at once, at the same
time she was spayed. It was too much for her. I had reservations about
it at the time, but the vet didn't so I caved and let him do it. She
was also sick for days. I kicked myself all over for not being
assertive and saying NO, I'll bring her back for the vaccs, and we'll
space them 3 weeks apart. Next time I will.

Sherry

Old May 26th 05, 11:17 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
"Alex Panda" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I think you were the one who told me you thought Cheeky was feeling
bad because of too many shots at once. It is a shame we have to
watch our vets like this.

Old May 26th 05, 11:40 PM
---MIKE---

I just got a card from Tiger's vet reminding me that he needs shots next
month. The rabies shot he needs because the Purevax is only good for
one year. The other shots he won't get because they are supposed to be
good for three years. Vets make money giving shots so they try to
promote yearly shots when they are not needed.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 27th 05, 01:22 AM
Philip

Mary wrote:
"Alex Panda" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Sherry: I drove past an animal shelter today. Turned around and went back
to see what they had in the way of kittens. About half of their inventory
were kittens under 12 weeks. The relevant point ... they will not (normally)
release any adoption with out a quad combo of shots and sterilization. To
me that IS way too much stress all in one sitting. Under penalty of death
by hurled watermelons, they would allow me ('cuz cat would be an indoor
only) to take an unsterilized cat home for one to two weeks because the two
that caught my interest were just under .... ONE and a HALF pounds. Good
grief. I found a highly animated gray tabby and a similarly tempered Maine
Coon / American shorthair that were turned over by the birth cat's owners.
They still have to kept for 7 days for observation before they are saleable.
Policy. Damned bureaucrats again. I suppose if you leave cats in a kennel
long enough, they WILL catch something.

Old May 27th 05, 01:22 AM
Philip

---MIKE--- wrote:
I just got a card from Tiger's vet reminding me that he needs shots
next month. The rabies shot he needs because the Purevax is only
good for one year. The other shots he won't get because they are
supposed to be good for three years. Vets make money giving shots so
they try to promote yearly shots when they are not needed.

---MIKE---

Well ... you have to UPSELL the customer so that if the cat gets sick later,
guilt will animate the owner to spend wads of loot assuaging the guilt.
This is the negative side of "pay me a little now or a lot later on".

Old May 27th 05, 03:48 AM
KellyH

"Philip" wrote
[...]

One and a half pounds is too small to adopt out. And no, we do not adopt
any cats/kittens out that have not been spayed/neutered and vaccinated.
Although with kittens, if they are under four months they are too young for
rabies vacc, the owners have to do that.
Yeah, we're all a bunch of bureaucrats, blah blah.

Why am I reading this group?

--
-Kelly