Senior cat urinating - again

Old June 10th 05, 04:13 PM

Default Senior cat urinating - again

About 1 1/2 years ago, I adopted out a female senior cat (the vet
estimated her to be around 12 years) whom I had found outside in the
dead of winter without food or water. Star had been at my house for
about 6 months before she was adopted, where she never left 'her' room
after the realized I have other cats, though she was not aggressive
when they came to 'visit'. She was adopted into a household with
another senior cat, and shortly after arriving started to urinate in
the house. Vet visits showed no physical indication. She simply seemed
to dislike the other cat, so new owner kept cats separated and all was
well. Resident cat died late last summer, so Star was given access to
the rest of the house. No urinating incidents between September of last
year and January of this year. Then she started urinating again -
mostly on the sofa and carpet in the living room. She spent a couple of
weeks back in the laundry room for re-education, and used the box
diligently while there, so I find it likely that the problem is not
physical. She was let back out into the living area a week ago, which
immediately resulted in a new spot on the sofa. Owner wants to return
Star to me this weekend. Given her age, I don't really want to start
her on tranquilizers, especially as my experience with them is more
successful in multiple than in single-cat households. Would it be cruel
to let her live out her life in the laundry room (which has windows as
well as a screen-door to the backyard) with time out both in the
morning and evening to socialize under close owner supervision, if she
is willing to keep her under these circumstances?

Thanks, Petra

Old June 10th 05, 04:38 PM
Joe Canuck

[...]

I'd suggest another trip to the vet to ensure nothing physical is going
on. The proceed based on the sound knowledge it isn't a physical problem.
Old June 10th 05, 06:50 PM

Joe, she had a urinanalysis to check for a UTI and bladder stones, plus
a full blood panel to check for diabetes and kidney problems last time
she saw a vet. What makes you think the results would be different this
time, especially given that whenever she is restricted to one room, be
it for days, weeks or months, she does not urinate? Do you have a
suggestion how to proceed if it's not physical?

Old June 13th 05, 03:17 PM

Joe Canuck wrote:
wrote:

Joe, she had a urinanalysis to check for a UTI and bladder stones, plus
a full blood panel to check for diabetes and kidney problems last time
she saw a vet. What makes you think the results would be different this
time, especially given that whenever she is restricted to one room, be
it for days, weeks or months, she does not urinate?

Depends how long ago that was done, things can and do change.

That was in December.

Do you have a
suggestion how to proceed if it's not physical?

Has she been neutered? ...are you certain?

Yes, I am certain :-)

Is the litter box kept clean? ... cleaned every day?

Cleaned twice a day

Is the litter box in a quiet corner where she can go about her business
quietly?

There's one in the laundry room and one in the bathroom.

Is there something in your home that may be causing her stress, that the
isolation keeps her from?

I know she didn't like the resident cat. After Pookie died, she was
fine for a while, but when her owner's roommate moved in, she peed on
her bed the first day. I don't think she likes her - and when she
closed her bedroom door so that she wouldn't pee on the bed any more,
she started going on the carpet in the living room...her owner thought
she would adjust after a while, but now she's started going on the
sofa. I think Star would really do best in a home with an older, quiet
single person, with no other pets. Given her age and history, that
won't be easy to find.