Baby Kitten w/dry flaky skin...Help!

Old November 9th 05, 12:23 AM

Default Baby Kitten w/dry flaky skin...Help!

I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
He barried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
cat food. He's siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
Thanks
tela28

Old November 9th 05, 12:28 AM
PawsForThought

wrote:
When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
Thanks
tela28

Congrats on your new kitty I honestly think he needs to be seen by
a vet now. I wouldn't wait.

Old November 9th 05, 01:11 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

wrote:
I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
He burried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
cat food. He's Siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit
raggedy. Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now
it's on his tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red
or purple. I plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be
neutered unless of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just
really can't afford to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to
bring him again in a month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I
can take care of this with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet
Store.
Thanks
tela28

If he has thinning hair or bald patches where you say the dry & flaky
patches are, there is the possibility that it is ringworm - only a vet could
diagnose for sure.

The bad news is: ringworms is contagious, and not only for your other cats,
but for *you* as well.

Old November 9th 05, 03:38 AM
Lumpy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago.

Vet.

Old November 9th 05, 03:39 AM
cybercat

"PawsForThought" wrote:
Congrats on your new kitty I honestly think he needs to be seen by
a vet now. I wouldn't wait.

Me either. They are so delicate at that age, they can die in
a heartbeat.

Old November 9th 05, 05:31 AM
Rhonda

It could be ringworm (a fungus) or lots of other things.

Anything on a cat that young needs to be nipped in the bud right away.
Take him in now, and hold off on the neuter another month if you need
to. This needs to be a priority.

Let us know how he's doing!

Rhonda

Old November 9th 05, 02:37 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Linda Terrell wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

please don't feed it bay food unless you mean kitten
food. And I'd try giving it some wet kitten food.
Dry food contributes to dry skin.

Human baby food often has onion powder in it and that is
toxic to cats.

If tela28 is feeding human baby food, if it is meat-only flavors (chicken,
ham, turkey, lamb), that is fine. That's what I mixed with powdered KMR and
canned kitten food when I was weaning Weeble.

--
Help the animals of Monroe County
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/nalee1964

The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old November 11th 05, 06:31 AM
Frank Pittel

wrote:
[...]

It sounds like ringworm. Get the little guy to the vet right away. I got
a kitten from a shelter last summer and unknown to me when I got him he
had ringworm. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that his fur started to
fall out. The skin was exactly as you describe.

It is not only highly contagious to other cats but humans as well. In my case
it wasn't expensive to deal with, just unpleasant. The key is that it gets dealt
with quickly and aggressivelySP?.
--

The Silly Cat Survey Enfilade Cat anecdotes 50 July 17th 05 06:45 PM
Abandoned Kitten Dan Hoffman Cat rescue 8 October 29th 04 11:18 AM
Baby kitten update Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 30 August 28th 04 07:04 PM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM