Wide Screen Cat "TV"

Old December 4th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Wide Screen Cat "TV"

The outside living room wall here at my mother's house in South Carolina is
basically a wall of glass. Two large glass doors open onto a long narrow
patio. The glass doors are bordered by glass panels on either side. So it
literally is a wall of glass. My desk is set up in a "nook" in one corner.
All I have to do is turn my head to look out onto the patio.

I never got around to buying a bird feeder even though I did buy a large bag
of mixed seeds. A couple of days ago I scattered some seed on the patio and
set out a deep plant saucer filled with water.

Lo! and behold! Instant wide screen cat TV!

I'm seeing birds I rarely (or never!) see back home in west Tennessee except
briefly during their winter migration. I couldn't count all of these tiny
pine warblers!

http://enjoybayberrybeach.com/animal...sville,-NC.jpg

And a few North American bluebirds have been visiting. I've never seen one
up close and personal before, only in photos. Stunning birds. One of them
was bathing in the saucer of water even though it was 40F outside!

http://www.peoriaaudubon.org/images/...luebird300.jpg

And the Carolina Wrens (sounds like a baseball team!):

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...olina-wren.jpg

There are house finches visiting, too:

http://sdakotabirds.com/species/photos/house_finch.JPG

The squirrels are having a field day, too. Needless to say Persia is
fascinated. She has a birds-eye view (heheh) from those "elephant chairs"
she adores But she can also just sit in front of one of the glass doors
if she wants to be more on their level. It's such fun!

Jill

Old December 4th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you have all the birds we have in the summer months. Except we
don't get Carolina wrens, and the house finches tend to stick around all
winter. Actually, we have a lot of birds who spend the winter here--
chickadees, cardinals, nuthatches, juncos, blue jays, etc. I do envy you
those bluebirds.

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old December 4th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

LOL The bluebirds are gorgeous! I have yet to see a blue jay here.
They're all over the place in TN. Oddly, I haven't seen or heard any of
those cheeky chicadees in at least a month. And I'm surprised I haven't
seen any cardinals going after the seed.

Jill

Old December 4th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 7:02 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
LOL The bluebirds are gorgeous! I have yet to see a blue jay here.
They're all over the place in TN. Oddly, I haven't seen or heard any of
those cheeky chicadees in at least a month. And I'm surprised I haven't
seen any cardinals going after the seed.

Jill

The blue jays and cardinals (dunno about those other kinds), having no
practical
use for cloistered golf communities, went to the Sunshine State to
stay warm.
Past few months I've seen big "V" one after another of birds heading
due south
in this area....guess these may have headed to TX for the winter.

I haven't seen a blue jay in all the time I've been here, which amounts to a
year. Mom told me they don't have them and I believe it. Cardinals, yep.
Remember I kept shooing the neighbors cats away from that cardinal's nest by
Mom's kitchen window... I hear them sometimes but they aren't going after
the sunflower seeds in the mix. I find that rather incredible!

Jill

Old December 4th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"hopitus" wrote in message
[...]

You keep reminding me, there is a tree the birds like right outside
the window next to the computer. There has to be a way I can place a
bird feeder where I can enjoy and and still keep it filled without
breaking my neck.

Jo