Back Legs Giving Out

Old May 25th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Default Back Legs Giving Out

MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
And I am sure a few will offer purrs but thank you for your prayers.

cybercat wrote:
Wrong group for what?

Purrs.

A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.

Of course we wish the best and purrs for the feline. :-)

Old May 25th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this morning,
and it is the diabetes that is affecting his legs. She was told that he will
need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!
She has an appointment to bring him in tomorrow to learn how to give the
shots and pick up the medication.

Thanks again everyone!

Matthew wrote:
Wrong group for what?

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.

We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was going
to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling from
here ;-)

Old May 25th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Matthew wrote:
Wrong group for what?

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.

We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was
going
to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling
from
here ;-)

I do not understand how any vet could possibly tell someone that a cat "will
need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!"
That simply is not true. I speak from personal experience as a diabetic and
also from long discussions with a friend who is an expert in working with
diabetic cats. Insulin for three weeks will not bring the cat's glucose
level down for a long-term solution. Your friend needs to work on an
appropriate diet for her cat (*no dry food,* only *low-carb canned*), and
she will need to monitor his glucose levels by taking readings at home
(which is a *very* easy thing to do). If your friend feeds her cat correctly
and monitors his glucose at home and keeps his numbers as close to the
normal range as possible using the proper type of insulin (Lantus or PZI are
the first and best choices), it is highly likely he will go into remission
at some point. In order to keep him in remission, she will have to continue
with the change in diet and will need to constantly monitor his glucose
levels. Also, it is unlikely that the problem of weak back legs will be
resolved in three weeks. Most diabetic neuropathy takes up to three months
to respond, and that is only provided that the cat gets regulated and his
glucose levels are brought back into the normal range. This is a long-term
process, not a "three week quickie." However, the good news is that cats
respond very well to this regimen and can live completely normal lives.

I have some other information available but do not have time to look it up
right now. If you will e-mail me privately I will be glad to locate it and
send it to you later. Your friend should also join the message board at
felinediabetes.com.

MaryL

Old May 25th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Mary, thank you so much for offering more information, unfortunately I do not
know enough about this site to find your personal email. If someone here can
tell me how to do that, I will definitely email you.

As far as a controlled diet, she has been following one since she got him.
He is on special wet food from purina (I don't recall the name, but it is
initials s/something I think), no dry food, and she has to feed him, I
believe, but could be wrong, a quarter of a can every 12 hours, which she
follows to a tee. She even pays a girl in her building to feed him everyday
for his night feeding being that she is not home from work at exactly the 12
hour mark.

I also was surprised that the vet said only three weeks for the shots. Maybe
she misunderstood and it will be for 3 months? Maybe it is not insulin but
something else? I will find out more on Monday when I see her being that she
is bringing him to the vet again tomorrow morning.

MaryL wrote:
Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this
morning,

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]

Old May 26th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:72b8db7aa1444@uwe...
Mary, thank you so much for offering more information, unfortunately I do
not
know enough about this site to find your personal email. If someone here
can
tell me how to do that, I will definitely email you.

You can reach me at this e-mail address: .

MaryL

Old May 27th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

[...]

----------
My cat's diabetes went into remission after being treated with Lantus
(glargine) insulin for less than two weeks. That was nearly a year ago. He
has since been maintained on a combination of Purina OM (overweight
management) dry food and canned cat food. Our vet originally wanted him to
eat Purina OM canned cat food as well, but he refused it, so we have had him
on a variety of different canned cat foods (currently we alternate Wellness
with Fancy Feast but in the past he has been on Pet Promise and Friskies
special diet and supermarket brand special diet). The vet told us that the
main thing with regard to the canned food was to choose one that was low in
carbohydrate. Our cat has not required any insulin at all since the two
weeks following his original diagnosis. We test his blood glucose monthly
and it is always less than 100. At the time of diagnosis, his blood glucose
was nearly 600.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

8 year old male with ataxia (wobbly back legs) KrazyKatLady Cat health & behaviour 8 January 26th 07 09:47 PM
cat losing fur on back of legs lori Cat health & behaviour 12 March 3rd 06 11:15 AM
Cat with 6 legs and a gremlin cat Beau Jess Cats - misc 11 April 7th 05 06:19 PM
Meowmie's legs Shamrock Cat anecdotes 4 September 2nd 04 02:36 PM
Hairless back legs - biting Jim Witte Cat health & behaviour 6 January 20th 04 05:17 AM