A poem

Old July 2nd 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default A poem

From a cat........

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, and all they
Have to those they love.
I too would make a will, if I could write.
To some poor, wistful, lonely stray
I'd leave my happy home,
My dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy,
The well-loved lap,
The gently stroking hand,
The loving voice,
The place I made in someone's heart,
The love, that at the last
Could help me to a peaceful, painless end
Held in loving arms.
If I should die,
Oh! Do not say:
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss."
Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy,
The love I leave behind,
'Tis all I have to give.

-- Margaret Trowton --
Old July 2nd 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Touching sentiment and feeling, but unsatisfactory execution. As a
better poet than Margaret Trowton, whoever she is, I've tried to improve
it a bit:

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, their things, their pets,
To those they love.
I too would make a will, if I could write.
To some poor, yearning, lonely stray
I'd leave my happy home,
My dish, my cozy bed, my toys,
The well-loved lap and gently stroking hand,
The soothing voice,
The love, that at the least
Would help me to a peaceful, painless end,
In loving arms
If I should die.
Oh! Do not say:
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss."
Seek out a lost and lonely cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy -
The love I leave behind.

-- Margaret Trowton, edited by Patok --

From a cat........

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Old July 2nd 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Patok" wrote in message
[...]

Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding why)
that I prefer the original.

Old July 2nd 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:
"Patok" wrote in message

[...]

That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried
to change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I liked
it very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I re-read
both versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve it. Or at
least, I produced a version that /I/ like better.

Old July 2nd 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Patok" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
"Patok" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I think I probably like the spontaneity of the original......And if it
isn't perfect, well, after all, it's supposed to have been written by a
cat!....:^)

Old July 2nd 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:34:07 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"Patok" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
"Patok" wrote in message
[...]

Right, and their grammer is usually poor.
Old July 2nd 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

wrote:

"Patok" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
"Patok" wrote in message
[...]

But the meaning is the same. Best wishes. MLB
Old July 2nd 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_2_]

This is one of my favorites. I would like to think one of my cats would
write something like this........

From a cat........

Old July 3rd 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:

"Patok" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:
"Patok" wrote in message
[...]

Well, yes, but cats are supposed to be elegant and smooth, you know.
The original was clumsy and trotting, as if written by a dog.

OT Poem Granby Cat community 9 May 25th 08 02:31 PM
Poem mlbriggs Cat anecdotes 5 December 26th 07 09:26 PM
Cat poem Karen Cat anecdotes 2 September 8th 06 10:00 PM
Cat poem Chakolate Cat anecdotes 10 May 16th 06 09:18 AM
Cat Poem BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 2 March 3rd 05 08:50 AM