Skinny cat

Old September 28th 03, 07:46 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:35:32 GMT, "Ollie Burger"
wrote:

Hi Group,

As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
male) passed away last weekend. He went
in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
since I noticed he was eating less and had
diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
the Vet was concerned about, was that he
was having some trouble breathing. On
Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
down and laid down in his other favorite place,
the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
character!

Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
was watching Rhuni do her business the
other day and noticed hers was runny as
well.

She has a great appetite, is active,
affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
what may be causing this?

When asked, the Vet said she probably
had a high metabolism (this was before I
noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
this now, in light of buster's unexpected
departure, and would like some of your
opinions before I take her in.

OB

Deepest sympathy. It is hard to lose a loved pet.

Old September 28th 03, 07:59 PM
Ollie Burger

Sherry wrote in message
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Buster. But what a wonderful way to go. Every cat
should be so lucky. He was warm, fed, loved, and in familiar surroundings. But
I know you'll miss him terribly.

Sherry

Thanks Sherry,
It's always sad to loose an old friend, but on
the other hand, he did live a full life, and passed
without much trauma... the way I want to go

We all miss him, including his four legged house-
mates.

OB

Old September 28th 03, 07:59 PM
Ollie Burger

Phil P. wrote in message

"Ollie Burger" wrote in message
Hi Group,

His blood work was normal and his
kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
the Vet was concerned about, was that he
was having some trouble breathing.

And what did your vet do about it? Did he x-ray Buster's chest to look for
an enlarged heart and fluid in the lungs -- which occurs secondary to heart
disease?

He did the blood work and a physical exam,
then give him a shot of cortizone, and a
prescription for Flagyl. He said to watch him
over the weekend to see if there was any
improvement...

On
Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
down and laid down in his other favorite place,
the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
open... expired!

Several possibilities exist for the cause of death. However, due his age
and gender, the most plausible explanation (to my mind) is suffocation from
pulmonary edema. Diuretics and probably heart medications may have made
Buster more comfortable and probably would have extended his life.

I assume by pulmonary edema you mean
heart attack. This is my gut feeling...

Rhuni

When asked, the Vet said she probably
had a high metabolism (this was before I
noticed the diarrhea).

I'm not satisfied with
this now, in light of buster's unexpected
departure,

I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer, either.

and would like some of your
opinions before I take her in.

Ollie, you need to find a new vet ASAP.

I'm sorry about Buster.

Best of luck.

Phil.

Hi phil,

This Vet has been very good up to this
point... I'll see what he has to say about
Rhuni before I make a deciaion to, say,
get another opinion. Your input has been
quite helpful though... many thanks.

OB

Old September 28th 03, 07:59 PM
Ollie Burger

Cheryl wrote in message ...

Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd
suggest you call the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea.
In most cats this will wipe out any microorganisms causing the
diarrhea. If not, then you have something more to go on.

Oops. As a followup Flagyl is really nasty bitter tasting so if they
ask liquid or tablet, definitely get the tablets and put the half tab
into a gelcap to keep her from foaming at the mouth and likely either
spitting it out or getting sick to her tummy just from that.

The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
what he has to say after looking her over.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
your other cat's name... arrgh, another
senior moment :0) I hope they are both
well though... thanks for the input.

BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
at my feet right now

OB