Skinny cat

Old September 29th 03, 08:51 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:46:17 -0600, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

She has a great appetite, is active,
affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
what may be causing this?

I would take her in, check her for worms, have bloodowrk done, and ask
about diet information.

I don't want to scare you, but I picked up a stray 3 years ago after
he was hit by a car. He had broken jaw, and lost an eye, but he was
healing well. He was very underweight, a walking skeleton. He was
eating well and started to gain wait, then suddenly got sick. Vomiting
and diarhea. The vet wormed him, gave him extra vitamins, and gave me
some special food to help him, but after 3 days, he died. We don't
know the exact cause, but regardless of what actually made him sick,
he was already so underweight that he nothing left to rely on. A
healthy animal can handle some diarhea and get well, but an animal
that is already sick, can be at high risk.

So, at the very least, rule out any diseases and worms, and see if you
can put some weight on the cat.

I have to admit, I am a bit biased. My first cat died at age 19 and
was a very hard keeper. I worked hard to get her to eat (she was very
finicky with very little appetite). And the stray cat was already so
light (8 months, under 6 lbs, and longer than my 9lb cat).

I made it a serious business to keep weight on my older cat who is
currently 17 years old. He was always a lean cat, never underweight
til this past year, but never overweight either. I noticed him losing
weight thie year and experimented with different foods and feeding
plans to keep weight on him. I finally found the ideal feeding system
for him, and he has been at a good weight ever since. I would say he
is plump for him, but not actually overweight. I can still feel his
ribs.

Anyway, since I have lost two skinny cats, I tend to be very nervous
when they lose weight. Especially, when they are older or have some
other health issue going on.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Old September 29th 03, 07:02 PM
Ollie Burger

Cheryl wrote in message ...
In ,
Ollie Burger composed with style:
Cheryl wrote in message

The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
what he has to say after looking her over.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
your other cat's name... arrgh, another
senior moment :0) I hope they are both
well though... thanks for the input.

Shamrock. Though now I have a third; Bonnie. She was caught in
my trap when I was trapping some of the strays around here for
neutering. I couldn't find a place for her and I hated risking her
with FeLV but I couldn't release her with the older cats. She was
just too small (about 4-6 months). She's vaccinated for FeLV now and
I hope that keeps her healthy.

The 4 kittens that were born to Carrot shortly
after the FeLV outbreak, are all healthy and
happy... Sunny, the male (a golden Tabby
with a white chin, chest, and sox), is an
absolute delite, so I am happy we ended up
keeping them. In any case, I suppose the
vaccine must be at least somewhat effective.

BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
at my feet right now

OB

I'm sorry for Butchie... poor lil guy. Shadow was very clingy after
Marley passed, too.. even though they never really got along. Give
Butchie and Max and the other 7 scritches from me and good luck with
Rhuni

Poor lil guy? lol When Rhuni is cuddled up
next to Behemoth Butchie, she looks like a
little kitten :-) But yes, he (along with the
others) are getting lotsa extra attention, so
they should be feeling secure again before
too long... I hope!

In any case, give Shadow, Shamrock, and
Bonnie, scritches from me... and thanks for
your kind thoughts.

OB