Science Diet question...

Old November 29th 03, 02:18 PM
Governor George Liquor

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

(deletia)

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

(deletia)

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

My educated guess is that the web-based ingedients list is provided for a
worldwide audience, and for general informational purposes only, and thus
uses more general terminology. The bag label ingredients list is
authoritative, and specific to the country of sale, (which I presume from
the Queen's English spellings is Canada) which likely has more specific
labelling requirements. There's generally no national rules (nor is it
practical for there to be, really) governing web content, while every county
has generally has its own specific rules governing labelling of retail
packages. The U.S. likely has less specific requirements (e.g. "mixed
tocopherols" versus "BHA, propyl gallate") than Canada, and since Hill's is
a U.S. company, their web author took the text from a for-sale-in-U.S. bag.

I found a _Canadian_ site,
http://www.agsci.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/lipids/5_2.htm, that discusses the
chemical composition and application of antioxidants in food preservation,
including BHT, BHA, and tocoperols.

Old November 29th 03, 03:39 PM
PawsForThought

From: "ChakaShiva"

"Phil P." a écrit dans le message de news:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat(preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid),
chicken liver flavour, DL-methionine, taurine, preserved with BHT and
BHA, beta-caroten, minerals (potassium choride, calcium sulfate, salt,
ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium
iodate, sodium, selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A
supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid
(a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

Prolly using up the last print run of bags before the change. That type

of
package is very expensive to print and manufacture. Printing very high
quantities in single press runs significantly reduces the cost per bag.

Phil.

Then it is permitted to have a description on the bag differing from the
true content? Interesting.
I would presume more that the bag came from an old batch. I sometimes go
to a little local supermarket when I have not time to go to town for my
shopping. I've been seeing the very same unique bag of Science Diet kibble
lying on the shelf now for certainly over a year :-). There's no mistake,
its the same one because it is ripped and taped on one side.

Elaine

Yikes! It's still on the shelf?
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old November 29th 03, 03:39 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 29th 03, 06:02 PM
afr

Interesting shift in ingredients. Back in 95, my 13-year-olf cat
developed what two vets said was an unusual form of kidney cancer: both
kidneys were tremendously enlarged and practically all cancerous. The
levels in the blood work just 5 months before indicated nothing. Both vets
said it was very rare to see both kidneys with that type of cancer.

Shortly after that, during an informal chat with a woman who worked for a
pet insurance company (who sent me an article in the mail), I heard that
there was research indicating a strong link between bha and bht in
science diet and kidney cancer in cats. My previous cat had eaten that her
whole life. I had heard that Flynt River Ranch was good for cats with
urinary problems, so up until his recent blockage, my present companion
had been on that his whole life.

The moral of the story (to quote an icon from my young adult years): If
it's not one thing, it's another. You think you're serving premium cuisine
and it turns out to be high-priced sewage!

We do the best we can and hope to find providers near where we live who
understand our beloved felines.It's nice to have a forum like this where
people can share their experiences. I suspect what works for one cat,
might not, for another. The intuition in discerning what to do is the
difference between an average vet (far too many of those in my present
neck of the woods) and a good one (which, thank god, I finally found).

peace,

a.

On

Old November 29th 03, 07:41 PM
ChakaShiva

From: "ChakaShiva"

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why

there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice
Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal,

corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin

D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a

source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

[...]

I don't know now, its been long since I've been there. I do like to go in
town most of the time where I can get all my organic stuff.
Its an exceptionnal case. Its a supermarket in a very small town that is
close to their people and I suppose someone asked for a bag, they ordered
two and never sold the other. But even so, in remote areas such as mine,
rotation of these products is likely to be very slow, even when sold at the
vet. I remember last year going to the vet to ask for samples of SD and
they only had one flavor of canned to offer.

Elaine

Old November 29th 03, 07:41 PM
ChakaShiva

Old November 29th 03, 08:33 PM
rrb_091903

Phil P. wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

[...]

That's most likely the case. But it is possible that Hill's website is a
bit out of date.

Rich

Old November 30th 03, 06:23 PM
Steve Crane

Joe Canuck wrote in message m...
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe?

Joe et al,
The website is updated within ~24 hours of any change in the
formula. The pre-printed bags can often be printed months in advance.
In this case the old bag you have contains the old "artificial
antioxidant" labelling. That does not mean the product contains
artificial antioxidants, simply old bags being used until they are
gone. The product was changed months ago. I'd be curious to know the
date on the older bag.
Elsewhere on this thread was a comment about BHA BHT causing
cancer. That is pure internet fantasy. There has ever been a single
animal that has ever been shown to have sufferred any negative
consequences as a result of the use of artificial antioxidants. None,
zip, zero nada. You have to understand the difference between the
testing levels and what is used in pet food. If Vitamin E, Beta
Carotene, Sodium, Selenium, and several other ingredients were fed at
the same grossly exagerated levels, all of them would be fatal. The
majority of studies were done at 1% or 10,000 parts per million, the
amounts used in pet food are about 30 parts per million, more than 300
times the levels used in pet foods. Most people can take 2 aspirin
without a problem, anyone who ingested 600 aspirin would suffer a
fatal result.
Lots of companies like Flint River use scare tactics to try to sell
the food. One of Flint Rivers favorite scare tactics is to claim that
a pet would ingest 26 pounds of preservatives in a year. This is of
course completely ludicrous. I've spent some time trying to track this
number down. And in every case, every web site that makes the claims
refers to another web site, but nobody will take responsibility for
the false number or explain how it was derived. It would take about
393,000 pounds of food to provide 26 pounds of artificial
antioxidants. Not even a dog the size of Tyranosaurus Rex would
consume that much food in a year.