Science Diet question...

Old November 30th 03, 06:23 PM
Steve Crane

Joe Canuck wrote in message m...
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe?

Joe et al,
The website is updated within ~24 hours of any change in the
formula. The pre-printed bags can often be printed months in advance.
In this case the old bag you have contains the old "artificial
antioxidant" labelling. That does not mean the product contains
artificial antioxidants, simply old bags being used until they are
gone. The product was changed months ago. I'd be curious to know the
date on the older bag.
Elsewhere on this thread was a comment about BHA BHT causing
cancer. That is pure internet fantasy. There has ever been a single
animal that has ever been shown to have sufferred any negative
consequences as a result of the use of artificial antioxidants. None,
zip, zero nada. You have to understand the difference between the
testing levels and what is used in pet food. If Vitamin E, Beta
Carotene, Sodium, Selenium, and several other ingredients were fed at
the same grossly exagerated levels, all of them would be fatal. The
majority of studies were done at 1% or 10,000 parts per million, the
amounts used in pet food are about 30 parts per million, more than 300
times the levels used in pet foods. Most people can take 2 aspirin
without a problem, anyone who ingested 600 aspirin would suffer a
fatal result.
Lots of companies like Flint River use scare tactics to try to sell
the food. One of Flint Rivers favorite scare tactics is to claim that
a pet would ingest 26 pounds of preservatives in a year. This is of
course completely ludicrous. I've spent some time trying to track this
number down. And in every case, every web site that makes the claims
refers to another web site, but nobody will take responsibility for
the false number or explain how it was derived. It would take about
393,000 pounds of food to provide 26 pounds of artificial
antioxidants. Not even a dog the size of Tyranosaurus Rex would
consume that much food in a year.
Old November 30th 03, 08:39 PM
ChakaShiva

"Steve Crane" a écrit dans le message de news:
"ChakaShiva" wrote in message

"Phil P." a écrit dans le message de news:

Then it is permitted to have a description on the bag differing from the
true content? Interesting.

That is correct for a period of 180 days. Thus a company that claims
to have an ingredient list of X ingredients, can conceivably get away
with putting anything they want in the bag for 179 days and then
actually put what they claim on the ingredient label for one day and
revert to anything the next. It's a very weak spot in the law and one
I would love to see changed.

Thank you for that info. It does give alot of liberty. I wonder if the law
applies when the product crosses the line to another country who might have
different rules?

I would presume more that the bag came from an old batch. I sometimes

go
to a little local supermarket when I have not time to go to town for my
shopping. I've been seeing the very same unique bag of Science Diet

kibble
lying on the shelf now for certainly over a year :-). There's no

mistake,
its the same one because it is ripped and taped on one side.

The retailer is paid for damaged bags, it comes right off every
invoice. Obviously this retailer is trying to make an extra buck or
two, despite being paid in advance for any damage products. That's too
bad, the objective was to eliminate such bags immediately by paying
the retailer in advance, thus eliminating any chance a damaged bag
would sit on a shelf anywhere for any length of time.

I wonder if this retailer dealt directly with Hill's though, since he
doesn't seem to carry much of an inventory of their product. Is there a
minimum that they are suppose to carry?
I can understand the company for wanting damaged bags off the shelf. It
does tarnish the image. In fact, the first time I noticed the bag was
within the moments I was hesitant on if I should really go the home-prepared
way. The sight of that sorry bag kind of triggered the green light. I
thought, yeah, I'll give it a try.

Élaine