Do new cats NEED to fight the residents?

Old July 19th 04, 10:02 PM
Fashion Maven

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"Fashion Maven" wrote in message
om...
Brian Link wrote in message

. ..
I'm getting some conflicting info from googling this whole
"introducing a new cat" thing.

There is a viewpoint out there that a new male, in particular, will
need to rassle with the current residents in order to establish the
new hierarchy.

snip

I think I would get him declawed before exposing the other 2 cats to
the interloper.

Maven

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech

NO!!! *Please ignore* this person who suggested declawing.

How would YOU know? Have you ever tried it? Either on yourself OR
your kittykatt?

That is cruel
and inhumane.

I am beginning to think you are. For you to say let this male cat
have his run of the 2 already there really stinks.

Declawing is amputation.

How would YOU know? Have you ever tried it? Either on yourself OR
your kittykatt?

Moreover, declawed cats have a much
higher incidence of later behavioral and health problems, including biting,
inappropriation urination, and arthritis.

Don't listen to her. My cat, which was 7 when I "had him done" is now
14 years old and he is running like a champ. It all depends on how
you treat them. It sounds like you are unfit for having animals.

In addition, the idea that your
current cats need to have the new cat declawed in order to "protect" them
is ludicrous. Think about what that would leave the poor declawed cat to
use for protection -- his teeth!

Yeah, let 'em fight it out. You are a real beast Mary. Course, you
always have been. You and that Liz beach. :-}

(clippage of dogma and other half-truths related to a perfectly
accepted (by most vets) and acceptable (to keep the peace) practice.

MaryL

lord split ya'.
Maven

(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old July 19th 04, 10:08 PM
Fashion Maven

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"Fashion Maven" wrote in message
om...

w&item=002

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

I took a look at your little "balls of fur and fun". Looks like
something is wrong with both of them. You need to get them to a vet
posthaste. And teach them some manners not to be getting into all the
furniture and pictures. A week's recovery from declawing would do
them a world of good.

Just my feelings....
Maven

Old July 20th 04, 02:10 AM
MacCandace

Just my feelings....
Maven

**** off.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old July 20th 04, 06:40 AM
Tracy

itter (MacCandace) wrote in message ...
After 4-5 weeks of death battles, they just decided to be friends and
now they love each other dearly.

I don't think sorting out the pecking order is optional for them. They
have to do it.

If that's the case, then I'm spending a lot of time and effort putting off the
inevitable. My resident cats won't fight the newcomer, they'll just hide from
him so I don't know how it will ever get sorted out if you are correct.

Candace

Well, the only certainty is that nothing happens the same in every
single situation. I know it's incredibly hard to detach, but if you've
kept them separated at the beginning and given them a gradual
introduction to each other, and it sounds like you have done all the
textbook things to date, then maybe the denouement is that the
resident cats won't hide forever (once they realize the new cat isn't
going to go away and isn't going to be locked up permanently) and
will, on their own cat timeline, deal with the new cat. All I can say,
is it happened with ours, after a very unpromising beginning, and I've
seen harmony magically restored to a multicat room after it seethed
with tension every day for a week.

I don't blame them for hiding. Who needs conflict, especially if they
can make it so miserable that the new cat goes away or gets confined
for much of the day? There are two of them and only one of him, so in
theory, they should be able to control the day as a team. Maybe your
role, at some point if not right now, is just to make it clear that
nobody's leaving and nobody's getting confined and they're just going
to have to work it out.

I'd surely try that approach for a week or two before making a
decision to return the new cat. Call it the last chance dance.

Good luck....

Old July 20th 04, 06:20 PM
Fashion Maven

itter (MacCandace) wrote in message ...
Just my feelings....
Maven

**** off.

ooops, you said a nasty word Candace. how does aol feel about the 'f' word?

Maven