PROBLEM WITH NEIGHBOR

Old October 10th 04, 09:14 AM
Andrew Brown

Default PROBLEM WITH NEIGHBOR

My neighbors cat has been coming to visit me for 5 years. Recently
she had a bad case of untreated fleas and flea allergy that was
resolved only when, eventually, he agreed to my taking her to the
vets. Since then (except for the first day afterwards) he has not
allowed her out. He is out for 8 hours a day (except weekends) and
she has no cat or human company during that time if she is detained in
his flat. Previously she spent most of each day outside or in with
me. He has no cat flap and her only way of gaining access to the
outside was by asking. There is plenty of greenspace and trees
surrounding these houses for her to play, and the road is a housing
estate one, not a major road. He told me (before I took her to the
vet, that if she whines at the door he "shouts at her" and then she
scurries away

He appears to resent the fact that I took her to the vet, despite
superficially being appreciative. Somehow he was forced into it by my
persistance. His excuses for not taking her himself were fear of vets
through past bad experiences, and fear of the potential costs) also
common, but neither justify substanstial delay or inaction, and if it
such a problem then either pet insurance or not keeping an animal at
all, would be a moral imperative surely.

I want to know whether a cat being left alone and kept in (she is
surely asking to go out) is likely to be psychologically or
physically (in health) harmed or suffering through this, and am I
right in thinking the RSPCA would practically laugh at my concerns, as
they seem to be so stretched in resources this would barely figure in
their priorities. I also remain concerned that the owner in question
(who previously kept an alsation who for years he never took for a
walk) could now ensure that any further ill health that the cat
suffers will not come to my attention, and will not be treated.

A difficult situation. Can someone give an opinion please
Old October 10th 04, 09:47 AM
Luvskats00

Why does this neighbor have a cat, anyway?
Old October 10th 04, 09:47 AM
Luvskats00

Why does this neighbor have a cat, anyway?
Old October 10th 04, 01:14 PM
Barb

That's a sad story. I think I would try to buy the cat from him. Make him
an offer.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old October 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Mary

"Andrew Brown" wrote in message
om...
My neighbors cat has been coming to visit me for 5 years. Recently
she had a bad case of untreated fleas and flea allergy that was
resolved only when, eventually, he agreed to my taking her to the
vets. Since then (except for the first day afterwards) he has not
allowed her out. He is out for 8 hours a day (except weekends) and
she has no cat or human company during that time if she is detained in
his flat.

Sounds to me like your neighbor previously neglected the cat and is now
trying to do the right thing by keeping her safe inside. It also sounds like
you have gotten attached to this cat, which is sweet.

As for the rest, I can't say.

Old October 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Mary

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
Why does this neighbor have a cat, anyway?

Jesus but you are a mental giant.

Old October 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Mary

Old October 10th 04, 05:45 PM
Mary

I want to know whether a cat being left alone and kept in (she is
surely asking to go out) is likely to be psychologically or
physically (in health) harmed or suffering through this, and am I
right in thinking the RSPCA would practically laugh at my concerns

Here in Los Angeles, California it is illegal to leave a pet alone for over 13
hours. I think that is the number but am not sure. The RSPCA would laugh at
your concerns. It is safer for them to be indoors instead of outdoors. Maybe
you can give the guy some old cat toys that your cats don't use anymore?