Otis had Chester's hairball

Old March 14th 05, 01:52 AM
Susan M

Default Otis had Chester's hairball

Hi all:

Why should last night have been any different? Why should we *ever* get to
sleep through the night? It's either a child or a cat but someone wakes us
up at least once.

3 AM today, Otis was curled up in my arms and I woke up because he was
insistently licking his lips (do cats have lips?). Being both a mom *and*
and cat slave, I could tell that he was going to hurl any time. Sure
enough, he jumped from the bed and crouched over the new carpet in pre-barf
stance. Not so fast Otis-cat! I ran and grabbed him and stuffed him in the
basement. The basement flooded last summer, the floor is a mess, and its
getting re-done next month. Better to hurl there than on the new carpet.

Then I knew that Chester would arrive on the bed at about 4 AM and rather
enthusiastically start purring and grooming himself. I decided to grab
Chester and stuff him in the basment too. I found him on Jane's bed - took
him downstairs - opened the basement door - and out shot Otis - and they
both ran off with the zoomies.

I was clearly defeated. I opened some food, which they devoured like crazy.
I went downstairs with paper towels and a plastic bag, and found the barf.
Otis had hurled up two rather large hairballs. Despite my nausea, I
inspected the hairballs purely because I found it amazing that Otis *could*
have a hairball. He's got just a little bit of short soft fur. Sure
enough, the hair was long-ish and had the distinctive wavy texture of
Chester's "domestic medium hair" guard hairs. I've often wondered where all
that hair went when Otis groomed Chester - they have at least a couple of
mutual grooming sessions per day. Chester just gives all his hairballs to
Otis, whose system probably isn't really set up to deal with it :-)

Then I accompanied Otis to the litterbox, got him a drink of water, and sat
and watched out the back window with them - it was snowing and peaceful.
Eventually, Otis tapped me on the leg and it was time to get back to bed.
Nothing like an hour and a half break in the middle of the night to make you
cheerful the next day.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Still nauseated thinking about it

Old March 14th 05, 02:14 AM
Karen

in article p76Zd.667688$Xk.96050@pd7tw3no, Susan M at smawdsley remove
@shaw.ca wrote on 3/13/05 7:52 PM:

[...]

Snnnooooooow? I'm so jealous.

Old March 14th 05, 03:03 AM
Christine Burel

We're right there with you, Susan -- I hardly ever have a night I don't have
some cat issue.
Christine
news76Zd.667688$Xk.96050@pd7tw3no...

Old March 14th 05, 03:26 AM
Susan M

"Karen" wrote in message

Snnnooooooow? I'm so jealous.

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/p..._metric_e.html Weather for
the week. Mild with snow! We always have at least one snow storm in late
April or early May too. May 6 2002 was crazy - over a foot of snow. Melted
shortly thereafter though. In the meantime, the robins have come back too
early and my tulips have already started to come up because of the
unseasonably warm weather of the past three weeks. The gophers are even up
and out of their holes. Crazy weather here!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 14th 05, 03:27 AM
badwilson

I know it sucks that you can't get a full night's sleep, but still,
aaaaaaaw! How sweet is it that they are such good buddies! They even
share hairballs ;-)
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old March 14th 05, 03:28 AM
Susan M

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
We're right there with you, Susan -- I hardly ever have a night I don't
have
some cat issue.
Christine

Before kids, I would never have believed that I could have survived on such
few and broken hours of sleep. I used to sleep 9.5 hours a night to feel
good! We feel like superheros if we have 5 uninterrupted hours now! The
irony is that once our kids are old enough that we don't either get up with
them or wait up for them, we won't even *need* that much sleep anymore
because we'll be that much older!

Susan M
otis and chester

Old March 14th 05, 03:42 AM
Susan M

"badwilson" wrote in message
I know it sucks that you can't get a full night's sleep, but still,
aaaaaaaw! How sweet is it that they are such good buddies! They even
share hairballs ;-)

I'm sure in the cat world, that's pretty special :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 14th 05, 03:57 AM
Marina

Susan M wrote:
Eventually, Otis tapped me on the leg and it was time to get back to bed.
Nothing like an hour and a half break in the middle of the night to make you
cheerful the next day.

Aww! At least Otis wants you to go back to bed eventually. When Frank
gets me up in the middle of the night, he doesn't let me go back at all.
LOL about the hairball.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old March 14th 05, 05:07 AM
Christine Burel

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
We're right there with you, Susan -- I hardly ever have a night I don't
have
some cat issue.
Christine

Before kids, I would never have believed that I could have survived on

such
few and broken hours of sleep. I used to sleep 9.5 hours a night to feel
good! We feel like superheros if we have 5 uninterrupted hours now! The
irony is that once our kids are old enough that we don't either get up

with
them or wait up for them, we won't even *need* that much sleep anymore
because we'll be that much older!

Susan M
otis and chester

Susan, when our kids were young, DH and I were perpetually tired -- we
basically spent all our weekends taking turns with naps. I don't know if
yours are young enough that they still take naps but if they do, you should
sleep then, too. I did that also. Also, on weekday nights, DH and I would
take turns getting up, too -- if it was before 2 am, DH got up and if was
after, I got up.
Purrs,
Christine

Old March 14th 05, 03:31 PM
Nina K Pettis

Christine Burel wrote:
We're right there with you, Susan -- I hardly ever have a night I don't have
some cat issue.

Same here -- in fact, last night was one such night! At least one of my
guys has "litterbox issues", so the half-bath is covered with newspaper
all the way around the box. (Thank goodness the floorcovering is
vinyl!) And whatever they deposit, they start trying to cover it up
with the rest of the newspaper. This rather noisy process usually
starts around 4 a.m., and continues until I drag myself out of bed,
stuff the papers in the covered trashcan, scoop the litterbox for good
measure, and crawl back into bed. About the time I doze off, there's
another one in there scrabbling the papers around. Repeat cleaning
process and return to bed. Dozing off once again, there's T.K.
scrabbling papers, but he just does it 'cause the big boys do, so I take
him back to bed with me for a quick snuggle (then he has to go see what
the others are doing -- very busy little boy).

Then when I really did get back to sleep, Abbie (the d*g) was playing
with her "baby", a truly hideous stuffed toy with an extremely LOUD
squeaker [note to self: extract squeaker TODAY], but by the time I
realized that yelling wasn't going to work this time and stomped out
into the living room to take it away from her, Jean had already put the
"baby" in time-out for being so noisy.

Back to sleep once more, and I overslept -- didn't get up until 8 a.m.!
Horrors! Luckily I work at home, for myself, so no problems with my
boss...

Nina in Texas, servant to: Snickelfritz (RB), Pixel (RB 12/03), Rusty
(RB 9/04), Seth (RB 12/04), Skeeter, Kyle, Jake, and T.K. [Tuxedo Kitty]
--
Professional proofreading doesn’t cost – it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Otis - how being lost has changed him Susan M Cat anecdotes 90 October 16th 04 11:26 PM
OTIS: Another miracle Susan M Cat anecdotes 114 September 14th 04 06:47 PM
Otis EMERGENCY Susan M Cat anecdotes 92 September 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Otis and Chester: Where are they now? (LONG) Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 03 02:29 PM
what is hairball remedy REALLY supposed to do? Alyssa Robinson Cat health & behaviour 2 July 12th 03 03:51 PM