can cats learn words?

Old May 18th 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default can cats learn words?

I have 2 cats they are around 3 years old. They love tuna fish.
Whenever I say the word "tuna" real loud, they come running and
meowing loudly where ever I am.

Now here is the amazing thing. The cats know what a can of tuna is. I
did a little test the other night. I got their visual attention and
showed them several objects out of the pantry. A box of cereal, a
bottle of vinegar, etc. Every time they just looked at the object.
Then I showed them a can of tuna. Their pupils got big and they made
eye contact with me, they started meowing loudly, and ran up to my
feet begging. The cat actually seemed to know what a can of tuna is.
I mean it was incredible.

Is it actually possible for a cat to learn just what an object is?
Are they actually consiously aware of such things...they see the can
of tuna, they want it, and try to get your attention. I mean it's
incredible.

Old May 18th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

This has been going on for years... where have you been? :-D

If I say "bed", my cat runs into the bedroom and figures the humans are
headed off to bed for the evening.

If the doorbell rings, my cat perks up and starts looking around for the
visitors to greet.

If I'm on the phone, my cat seems to know I'm temporarily stuck to this
odd looking device and starts getting into mischief.

If I go out and return, upon return my cat will come running to the door
to greet me if she is not sleeping. Again, the visitors thing but this
time she knows it is me coming back home.

Old May 18th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Then I showed them a can of tuna.
Their pupils got big and they made eye
contact with me, they started meowing
loudly, and ran up to my feet begging.
The cat actually seemed to know what
a can of tuna is. I mean it was
incredible.

Try this with a similar size can that is not tuna. I'll bet the
reaction would be the same. I do think they understand some words.
"Come here", "no!" and "treat" are understood but not always responded
to.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 18th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl[_2_]

I'm convinced they also can tell time. I have a automatic feeder and 2
minutes before it goes off (several times a day) Mr. Bonkers is sitting
there staring at the bowl. How does he know?

Mr. Bonkers knows the word "treat" . I don't have to shake the can, just
say the word to get him to come. (He can respond to treat but not his name -
No incentive I guess)(People think his name is treat - theres a lesson here
somewhere)

Old May 18th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 18, 2:55 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Of course they can learn just what an object is; how do you think
feral, semi-feral, and plain indoor-outdoor housecats survive? They
have to be able to recognize what's a potential food source, what's
dangerous, etc.

But if you do the same thing with a similar can that's not tuna,
you'll likely get the same reaction, because they can't read and while
they can see color, they don't pay a lot of attention to it. (They use
that ability for gray-scale discrimination in the dark.) They won't be
able to tell it's not tuna unless you open it.

But if they couldn't tell the difference between a can, a bottle, and
a cereal box (the last of which at least they could smell the contents
of), all of which have very different shapes, they'd barely be able to
make their way safely across the living room. And yes, they can learn
to recognize words, too. Not a huge vocabulary, but enough to improve
their ability to live with us.

Lis

Old May 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kathy

Joe Canuck wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I think my cat thinks I'm talking to her when I'm talking on the phone
and she sits in front of me, "answering" with meows.

Kathy

Old May 18th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

My 4 year old black cat, Pickles, will respond appropriately to:

"Do you want some dry?' (food after her canned food)

"You want out on your deck?"

"Oh, it's your supper time!"

Probably more but I can't think of it right now.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old May 18th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sure they can!

Old May 18th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article , cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some can even learn to speak English.

Bubba seems to be able to speak the word "NO" very clearly
whenever I do something that he doesn't want me to do like
pick him up or comb out his fur or clip his sharp points.

plant in "Little Shop of Horrors.
Old May 18th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote
Sure they can!

Some can even learn to speak English.

Bubba seems to be able to speak the word "NO" very clearly
whenever I do something that he doesn't want me to do like
pick him up or comb out his fur or clip his sharp points.

plant in "Little Shop of Horrors.

haahaha!!!

Gracie understands love words because of my tone. I pet her
and look at her and kind of draw the words out in a smooth,
melodious voice and she closes her eyes and smiles.

Yes, they do smile!

And how about that "happy to see you" stretch and yawn,
head down, ears back, tail curled over the back, with the
little chirp that says, "well, hi, there you are, I thought you'd
never wake up, do you hear those birds out there, let's get
something to eat, what do you think Boo is doing?"