biting kittens

Old May 20th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default biting kittens

My foster kittens are almost ready to go back to the humane
society.....but I have a question. I figure the kittens are teething
as they love to chew on fingers. I bought them chewy toys, which they
ignore, as they prefer fingers. Is there a way to deter them from
doing this? They haven't learned the word NO yet.....

Jenny

Old May 20th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
My foster kittens are almost ready to go back to the humane
society.....but I have a question. I figure the kittens are teething
as they love to chew on fingers. I bought them chewy toys, which they
ignore, as they prefer fingers. Is there a way to deter them from
doing this? They haven't learned the word NO yet.....

Teach them the word no. When they bite, say "NO" and stop playing. Every
time.

Old May 20th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Vinko Bogataj

On May 20, 3:11 pm, wrote:
My foster kittens are almost ready to go back to the humane
society.....but I have a question. I figure the kittens are teething
as they love to chew on fingers. I bought them chewy toys, which they
ignore, as they prefer fingers. Is there a way to deter them from
doing this? They haven't learned the word NO yet.....

Jenny

Try the Barry cat terrorism method:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...d?dmode=source

You'll need a broom, a weed jones, and a need to feel superior to all
creatures around you. Beat them beasts down if they won't listen --
that's what Barry does..

Old May 21st 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

wrote in message
ups.com...
My foster kittens are almost ready to go back to the humane
society.....but I have a question. I figure the kittens are teething
as they love to chew on fingers. I bought them chewy toys, which they
ignore, as they prefer fingers. Is there a way to deter them from
doing this? They haven't learned the word NO yet.....

Jenny

Say a high pitched "ouch" then say "no". If the kitty persists say "ouch"
"no" and put him down. If kitty comes back again do the above and give him a
5-10 minute time out by himself somewhere (bathroom). If you do this
consistently they will learn not to bite. My Boots liked chewing on fingers
when he was a kitten and I got him to stop this way.

Old May 21st 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oldhickory

"no" and blowing in the face has always worked for me. We also NEVER use
hands or fingers as playings. I never play or tease the kitties with any
body parts--ONLY toys.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

ups.com...

Old May 21st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 21, 10:42 am, "oldhickory" wrote:
"no" and blowing in the face has always worked for me. We also NEVER use
hands or fingers as playings. I never play or tease the kitties with any
body parts--ONLY toys.

Also, when you say "no" or "ow," let your fingers/hand go limp. If you
pull away, it only encourage them to "catch" the prey more.

Old May 22nd 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Joe Canuck wrote:
wrote:

My foster kittens are almost ready to go back to the humane
society.....but I have a question. I figure the kittens are teething
as they love to chew on fingers. I bought them chewy toys, which they
ignore, as they prefer fingers. Is there a way to deter them from
doing this? They haven't learned the word NO yet.....

Jenny

Simple...

Don't offer your fingers for chewing or playing purposes. Never raise a
kitten to learn that fingers or hands are play things.

Why not? My cat likes to play with my fingers and hands. She also
realizes they are attached to me and plays gently with them. She
doesn't use her claws and usually doesn't bite too hard. When she does
bite too hard, I tell her. "OUCH, that hurt!" and I pull away.

She knows what's up. She loves playing.

Sometimes she plays catch the wiggling fingers, other times it's grab
the hand before it can touch her. Sometimes I let her catch the hand
and she'll playfully "maul" it and my forearm, holding my hand with her
front paws, kicking at my arm with her back while gently biting my fingers.

It doesn't hurt me and I firmly believe her quality of life would be
diminished if she didn't get to play like this.

It allows her to exercise her predatory instincts in a way that cat toys
cannot.

And this has not interfered with her love of being petted and cuddling
either.

I'd suggest getting a box of straws and engage them with those while you
are there to supervise. Always play with the kittens while using another
toy and not your hands, save your hands for petting. Soon they will learn.

If they happen to go after your fingers, yell "ouch" and say "no" loud;
however, the first method of not offering the fingers in the first place
should be engaged.

Hopefully it isn't too late to get them out of this habit.

Biting cat mcdowelldrew Cat health & behaviour 3 January 6th 05 04:04 AM
Why is this cat biting me? ph_leung Cat health & behaviour 19 December 3rd 04 03:54 PM
fur biting Simon Fitzpatrick Cat health & behaviour 3 August 31st 04 01:04 AM
biting Lacey Cat health & behaviour 20 May 18th 04 03:42 PM
What's the biting about? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 22 May 2nd 04 03:49 PM