Is this wrong?

Old October 8th 05, 04:15 PM
Juls

Default Is this wrong?

When I first got Jazz, she started out in the bathroom (a large
bathroom) while I did the introduction to Jack. Now she's out 100
percent and she still goes into the bathroom to play. (She's fascinated
by the toilet and tub)

When she gets really revved up and out of control, I've put her in the
bathroom for about 10-15 minutes, kind of a time out. It does cause her
to calm down, because she goes to the windowsill and looks out the
window. Or sometimes she crawls into a cabinet and takes a nap. But she
almost always gets calmed down, and then I let her back out. I've done
this probably five times. When I put her in there, I'm stroking her and
loving her so she doesn't think it's punishment, just quiet time. Most
of the time, she just goes about her business, but she's always glad
when I open the door.

On occasion, she'll meow when I put her in there, just once, and then
does her thing. She doesn't really meow, I guess being deaf, just lets
this little mousesqueak.

And an update on sweet, sweet Jack. He's really thriving now that he
has his sister. Back to the sweet, silly Jack. The last two nights, she
was off sleeping, and I heard Jack in the hallway moaning this really
odd moan. It sounded like he was hurt, and Dmitri used to moan like
that when he was revved up and playing. If you didn't know he did that,
you'd think he was in horrible pain.

So I rushed out to see what was wrong, and he was sitting in the hall
with a toy ball in his mouth, I guess calling someone to play with him.
He wanted a playmate, but I don't know if he was calling me, or calling
Jazz. I don't think he realizes yet that she can't hear. It was just so
sweet to see *him* initiating play. He hadn't done that much since
Dmitri died, and it's so wonderful that he's doing so well now.
:::relief:::

So back to the time out...is that a bad thing to do, or okay? It seems
to work, but I don't want her thinking the bathroom is a place for bad
girls, just a calm place.

A few new pictures:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a384/jackjazz/

Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g
Old October 8th 05, 04:25 PM
Gail

I think it's fine. As she becomes calmer and calmer, she will need fewer
time outs. I did this with my new kitten, too. Now he goes into the spare
bedroom just at night to sleep.
Gail

Old October 8th 05, 04:38 PM
blkcatgal

I don't think this is a bad thing. I will do the same thing with my cat
Wally. Soemtimes he gets a little too involved in what I am doing (like
when I was painting a room or washing windows, etc.) and he is getting in
the way. I'll put him in his bedroom (this is where he spent most of his
time when I first got him and was introducing him to my other cat) to keep
him out of trouble. At first he gives me the look like "don't put me in
here" but later when I check on him, he's either curled up on the bed or
sitting in the window and he seems happy.

Sue

Old October 8th 05, 04:43 PM
Kitkat

Juls wrote:

So back to the time out...is that a bad thing to do, or okay? It seems
to work, but I don't want her thinking the bathroom is a place for bad
girls, just a calm place.

A few new pictures:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a384/jackjazz/

Juls

They are just precious together. Juls, every time I read your updates,
my eyes well up...in that good sort of way. I am so glad that Jack is
doing well. The butterfly thing totally gives me goosebumps. Good stuff.

As for the "time outs"...doesn't sound like a bad thing to me at all.
She doesn't seem to respond poorly to it, begging and crying to come
out. She chills out and it's exactly what you want her to do. She
probably doesn't see the bathroom as a bad place since that is where she
lived during her first days with you. I wouldn't worry about it unless
you saw some adverse effects on her behavior.

Pam

Old October 8th 05, 04:46 PM
MaryL

"Juls" wrote in message

So I rushed out to see what was wrong, and he was sitting in the hall
with a toy ball in his mouth, I guess calling someone to play with him.
He wanted a playmate, but I don't know if he was calling me, or calling
Jazz. I don't think he realizes yet that she can't hear. It was just so
sweet to see *him* initiating play. He hadn't done that much since
Dmitri died, and it's so wonderful that he's doing so well now.
:::relief:::

A few new pictures:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a384/jackjazz/

Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

This sounds fine, and it's delightful to see your new pictures. As to the
moaning: Holly does that same thing. I will hear that moaning sound (that
I also thought was pain or distress when I first heard it), and then she
will appear beside me and drop a little red mouse at my feet. She has done
that every evening for quite a long time, and it is always the same little
red mouse. This may be somewhat like cats that bring dead mice as gifts
(but I prefer the little red mouse to a real one!).

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 8th 05, 06:09 PM
Juls

In article , Kitkat
wrote:

They are just precious together. Juls, every time I read your updates,
my eyes well up...in that good sort of way. I am so glad that Jack is
doing well. The butterfly thing totally gives me goosebumps. Good stuff.

Thanks, Pam. I'm expecting the butterflies to migrate south now that
it's turning cooler, but I've sure loved them. My uncle, who plants
flowers just to attract the butterflies, was over the other day and
just astonished at how many were out there. When I walk out there, it
just takes my breath away every time.

Old October 8th 05, 07:09 PM
Spot

There is nothing wrong with this. Years ago my older cat Meowzer would get
irritated sometimes with the younger cats. I could tell when he was
stressed out and would often put him in the back room for the day by himself
while I was at work. All I had to do was pick up the extra litter box and
put it in the room and he'd run in and sit down and wait for me to shut the
door.

Sometimes they just need some time to themselfs to unwind just like humans
do.

Celeste

Old October 8th 05, 07:34 PM
Candace

Juls wrote:.

Thanks, Pam. I'm expecting the butterflies to migrate south now that
it's turning cooler, but I've sure loved them. My uncle, who plants
flowers just to attract the butterflies, was over the other day and
just astonished at how many were out there. When I walk out there, it
just takes my breath away every time.

It sounds beautiful! Too bad you can't capture it in a photo. I've
never seen a bunch of b-flies at once, even at so-called butterfly
gardens. The most that I've ever seen at one of those is probably
about 5.

Someone I work with was telling me about a book (a novel) she just read
called, "The Butterfly House." It sounds really good, one of those
books with kind of a spiritual element like "The Secret of Keeping
Bees.:

Glad your little cat family is so happy.

Candace

Old October 8th 05, 07:59 PM

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

This sounds fine, and it's delightful to see your new pictures. As to the
moaning: Holly does that same thing. I will hear that moaning sound (that
I also thought was pain or distress when I first heard it), and then she
will appear beside me and drop a little red mouse at my feet. She has done
that every evening for quite a long time, and it is always the same little
red mouse. This may be somewhat like cats that bring dead mice as gifts
(but I prefer the little red mouse to a real one!).

My 15 year old Zak does the same thing when he carries objects around
in the middle of the night. Sounds like a weird yowl - hurroww hurroww
is the closest I can describe it. Now imagine a Japanese kid who
learned English from Howard Cossell and say it 3 times :-)

-mhd
Old October 8th 05, 08:46 PM
cybercat

wrote in message
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

Heh! As I have mentioned before, my little girl does this with a rubber
snake,
which she drops at my feet wherever I may be. She does this 3-5 times
a day/night because I praise her when she does it. I think it is totally
hilarious.
She has worn most of the green off of this snake, who now has no head and
no tail tip. Lately she likes to do this when I am in the shower, as though
she
is secretly indulging her vice. As time has gone on her cries have become
even more dramatic and heart rending. It is the cutest thing she does.