A little update

Old August 21st 03, 05:53 AM
Tanada

Default A little update

JHBennett wrote:

To review, I made a plea for help in dealing with a #%^!+=/~! animal
poisoning neighbor and our vulnerable feral cats. The people here were most
helpful in offering suggestions both in saving the cats (which I'm terribly
allergic to) and taking vengence upon my scum of the earth neighbor
(although we're moving, I'm planning a fairwell gift that will keep on
giving, a couple of Southern Mulberry trees).
The bad news is that a couple of weeks ago, my 90 year old mother had a
bad reaction to some new medication and developed a bleeding ulcer. It was
touch and go, for awhile, but she's better now and back home, though weak
from the experience. The better news is that one of her nurses in ICU is
seeking feral cats for their hog farm. And, they want them fertile, so they
can maintain the population.

Good to hear from you, Jack. I was wondering how you were doing. I'm
sorry to read about your mom, and interested in your solution to your
feral cat "problem." I'm not sure that it would be the solution I would
choose, but you chose what you feel is the best one for your situation.
Are you going to keep any of the ferals, and, if so, are you going to
make their enclosure/palace? How does your mom feel about your
solution, and how is she doing without all the cats around?

I'm surprised that you were able to find some southern Mulberry trees,
as they are illegal to plant in some areas of Texas and New Mexico, due
to the allergen factor. Whatever solution you find for the neighbor
from hades, good luck with it. Also good luck with the continuing move
to your new house, and please keep us informed about you, your mom, the
ferals, and the neighbor from hades. We care about you and worry about
your mom.

Sending continued purrs and our healing thoughts for your mom and your
allergies,

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old August 21st 03, 05:59 AM
Sherry

We have a few more to relocate, but, as someone suggested, the life of a
barn cat is a high life indeed for a feral. They keep their barns warm for
the little pigs all winter long and the social life must be something grand.
Kathy says they have over 20 other cats and a couple of dogs.
Cheers
Jack

I'm glad it seems to be working out for you and hope your Mom makes a full
recovery soon. You're right, being a barn cat is probably a high life for a
feral. (Much better than the city with mean people trying to do them in) Your
friend probably already knows this, but I just have one suggestion: If she will
provide them their own fresh water, they will be less likely to try to drink
out of the stock tanks. It's very common for barn cats to drown that way. Good
luck.

Sherry
Old August 21st 03, 08:19 AM
JHBennett

"Tanada" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:

[...]

Mostly, Pam, she just wants them safely out of the reach of our murderous
neighbor. As it happens, we were talking about it while she was in ICU and
her nurse, Kathy, spoke up and volunteered that she was wanting feral cats
for their farm. She noted that house cats simply don't survive and they
need them to keep the vermin at bay. Apparently they even run off critters
like possum and such. She described how they keep the barns warm during the
winter with heat lamps (infra red, I presume) and the cats apparently love
basking in the warmth with the little piggies. They also put out food for
them. As for water, I suppose if it's available to piglets, the cats can
get to it without any problem. All in all, it sounds very
cushy......perhaps the only thing lacking is a soft pink pillow to lounge
upon, and they might even have that. Mother is happy as a clam about
finding them a good home in the country. The major thing she was concerned
about, regarding moving them to the country, was the care they would receive
on the other end. Kathy, it seems, is the answer to our prayers and is very
much a cat fancier. Their's are reportedly tame enough they will come up to
them as ours do/did. After the ordeal Miss Kitty has been through, I expect
it will be awhile before she gets very trusting and Kathy did report that
she and the black kitten did come up for food, then lit out when she came
near. --JB

I'm surprised that you were able to find some southern Mulberry trees,
as they are illegal to plant in some areas of Texas and New Mexico, due
to the allergen factor.

Ah.... don't actually have the trees on hand yet. The notion is in the
*approved plan* stage and I was hoping to plant them toward the end of
September...about the time we hope to be well on our way out of here. I
take your point about this particular variety being, perchance, illegal in
some places and don't know how successful I'll be in rounding them up.
Could be a challenge... However, I'm not without resources and, if need be,
I might be able to prevail upon a forrester friend with the Department of
Defense--my old haunt. It's become one of those *money is no object*
things, you see and perhaps it might also be a matter of ....
hehehehehehehe... national security ;-) --JB

Whatever solution you find for the neighbor
from hades, good luck with it. Also good luck with the continuing move
to your new house, and please keep us informed about you, your mom, the
ferals, and the neighbor from hades. We care about you and worry about
your mom.

Sending continued purrs and our healing thoughts for your mom and your
allergies,

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine

Thanks, Pam. Much appreciated.
I can tell you one amusing little thing in this whole sordid affair. My
neighbor and I had made an agreement for his buying a property from me on
contract. However, when I discovered what he was doing, I told him to
forget about it and put the place on the open market. The cute part of it
is, he confused my refusal to sell to him on contract--damned if I'd finance
any deal for him--with the idea that I wouldn't sell to him at all.
Accordingly, he plotted to have an out of town relative buy the place.
Clever fellow. Only, I happened to recognize the name of the purchasers and
closed the sale anyway, knowing full well he was going to end up with the
place. Right now, he's strutting around pleased as hell with himself,
believing he pulled one over on me. I'm letting him enjoy his dilusions
since I don't want them to know we've got another place just yet. HOWEVER,
the timeliness of the cash from the sale of that property allowed me to
secure 4-7/8% financing, vice 6-1/4%. It also allowed me to avoid invading
a tax sheltered mutual fund to swing the deal, thus keeping me from paying
substantial taxes and penalties--as well as kicking me into another tax
bracket. Bottom line is, the clever fellow managed to make or save me
something on the order of $35,000, more than if we'd executed the original
deal. Now if only I can get a few other people to outsmart me, with the
same results.....hehehe
I plan to tell him about it at Christmas......he has a heart condition.
Also, as soon as the ground is frozen, my lawyer will advise him to move
his fence off our property, and I'm still trying to have him prosecuted.
Oddly enough, he won't speak to me anymore.
Jack

Old August 21st 03, 05:27 PM
Brenda Watkins

"JHBennett" wrote in message
[...]

As of today, I can report that pregnant Dopey, so named because she

got
caught twice in the neighbor's trap & had to be bailed out, has made the
adjustment to country life in grand style and is making a bid to become

the
resident house cat, at her new home. Dopey is a bit of a study in
determination. She kept trying to come into our house and our fear was

she
would have her litter somewhere, like under the couch or bed. So, I taped

board over the *critter* door, when I departed for St. Louis, where mother
was taken for treatment. Upon my return, I discovered that Dopey had
managed to rip off the tape and board. How many days she enjoyed the
airconditioned comforts of our home, I can only guess. She wasn't about

give up on trying to crack the code on the door the second time either,

even
though I screwed the cover into place, she seemed to think she could find

way in. She also broke out of the box I thought I could send her to her
country home in, TWICE. So, she made the trip in my carrier afterall.
Miss Kitty is also adjusting to her new life in the country. She

spent
10 days in solitary......after dining on finger food--mine. Some of you

may
recall how our cats will come when I whistle and that they like to rub
against legs and be petted. I thought it would be no trick to pick them

up
and drop them into a carrier for Kathy, the farmer's wife, to take to the
country. Ah, friends, all I can say is Miss Kitty is a 2-1/2 pound cat

with
about 23 pounds of very bad attitude. Despite the fight being far out of
her weight class, there is no doubt that she won. She didn't like being
picked up one bit and managed to get her teeth into my finger. Never have
seen a cat with that kind of fight in its eyes. Mouth clamped on my

finger,
with a seeming death grip, blood flowing, etc. Anyway, bait for the trap,
the trap itself, trip to the doctor, tetness shot, prescription, boarding

at
the animal shelter and all, it came to a $194 investment in her. She and
Black Kitty, one of her kittens, made the trip to the country together.
We have a few more to relocate, but, as someone suggested, the life of

barn cat is a high life indeed for a feral. They keep their barns warm

for
the little pigs all winter long and the social life must be something

grand.
Kathy says they have over 20 other cats and a couple of dogs.
Cheers
Jack

bless you for caring - and purrs for your mom.
Brenda

Old August 22nd 03, 02:20 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:24:12 -0500, "JHBennett"
wrote:

[...]
would have her litter somewhere, like under the couch or bed. So, I taped a
board over the *critter* door, when I departed for St. Louis, where mother
was taken for treatment. Upon my return, I discovered that Dopey had
managed to rip off the tape and board. How many days she enjoyed the
airconditioned comforts of our home, I can only guess. She wasn't about to
give up on trying to crack the code on the door the second time either, even
though I screwed the cover into place, she seemed to think she could find a
[...]

Sorry to hear that your Mom had a bad reaction to her meds causing an
ulcer. We'll send along some healing purrs for her.

I understand that with your allergies, worries about your mother,
moving to a new house you have a lot to on your plate wihout taming
your batch of ferals.. Sounds like you may have found the best
solution possible, as I'm sure thethe cats will be much better off as
barn cats far away from that neighbor from h*ll. A heated barn, food
and water, and plenty of critters to hunt - hey, I better not let my
bunch read this they might decide to put in an application.

Even though it sounds like you're going to be cat-less for awhile, if
you have the time stick around and enjoy the group. Hey, I'd guess
that 25% of our traffic is not directly cat-related, and with your
sense of humor I'm sure we'd enjoy an occasional update on your move.
A word of warning, though, we've had some others in the group who were
cat-deprived, and somehow the group always seems to end up talking
them into getting a cat ;-)
Old August 22nd 03, 06:38 AM
JHBennett

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:24:12 -0500, "JHBennett"
wrote:

[[[[[[snip]]]]]]]]

Sorry to hear that your Mom had a bad reaction to her meds causing an
ulcer. We'll send along some healing purrs for her.

Thanks, Steve. I keep her advised of the traffic on the net and the plan is
to get her on line, once we're established at our new place. I'm not real
sure I want her following where I go on the net. I mean would you want YOUR
mother knowing where you go and what you say??????? I may have to contrive
something. --JB

I understand that with your allergies, worries about your mother,
moving to a new house you have a lot to on your plate wihout taming
your batch of ferals.. Sounds like you may have found the best
solution possible, as I'm sure thethe cats will be much better off as
barn cats far away from that neighbor from h*ll. A heated barn, food
and water, and plenty of critters to hunt - hey, I better not let my
bunch read this they might decide to put in an application.

Yeah, been thinking about that setup as well. Sounds like a feline vacation
resort, when you get right down to it. Hell, I'll bet they don't even have
to observe litter box discilpline! --JB

Even though it sounds like you're going to be cat-less for awhile, if
you have the time stick around and enjoy the group. Hey, I'd guess
that 25% of our traffic is not directly cat-related, and with your
sense of humor I'm sure we'd enjoy an occasional update on your move.
A word of warning, though, we've had some others in the group who were
cat-deprived, and somehow the group always seems to end up talking
them into getting a cat ;-)

Oh, I'm certain we'll be open for business at a new location, Steve.
Mainly, we want to get the cats here out of harm's way, but I'm certain
we'll be offering food, water, and shelter to anybody at our new
location...... including the birds. Presently, I'm going through about 15
pounds of birdseed every two days! Compare that with our peak of 18 pounds
of Meow mix every 10 days, at the height of Mom's diner.
I really do think cats are neat creatures, but I must be so careful
around them. Naturally, they seek me out for some reason. Perhaps they
believe no person should be cat-less and go to some extra effort on my
behalf. Fortunately, we've had some outstanding dogs along the way, so I've
not suffered from the absence of loyal companions...other than most of them
are gone now.
I understand the Catholic Church contends dogs can't go to Heaven,
because they don't have a soul. Dumbasses obviously don't know what they're
talking about.
Thanks for your kind thoughts and I do intend to keep in touch......
it's an interesting group and I've been impressed. A very vocal and
articulate bunch of bright people.
Cheers,
Jack

Old August 22nd 03, 12:33 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , JHBennett at
wrote on 8/22/03 12:38 AM:

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:24:12 -0500, "JHBennett"
wrote:

[[[[[[snip]]]]]]]]

[...]

Jack, not all Catholic churches have this view. Many even have St. Francis
Assisi day where you can bring your pets, no matter the species to be
blessed. They always cover it on the news here.

Karen

Old August 23rd 03, 01:43 AM
Jean H

what a beautiful little story gave me a great laugh to start the day, by the
way I've had two cats that came when I whistled same breed but had them at
different times the 2nd one, my beloved Henri was clever if he didn't want
to come in when I whistled he would come and sit where I could see him from
the balcony and look up till I saw him as If to say I'm here I'm Ok but I'm
not ready to come in yet aren't cats Intelligent? jp

Old August 23rd 03, 06:43 AM
Hopitus2

A comforting idea, and being a Southerner I agree with your opinion of him,
but thinking to avoid retaliation from the law or anyone else for such a
course of action, why don't you consider investing the "surplus funds" in
something - anything - that will reward you with regular dividends or
profits, which upon receiving you can rejoice in the knowledge that the
windfall - of whatever size - came from the $$ your sneaky, miserable
neighbor saved you altogether by his attemped trickery? Don't you think that
might be far more rewarding?

"JHBennett" wrote in message
:
: "MaryL" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "JHBennett" wrote in message
: ...
: To review, I made a plea for help in dealing with a #%^!+=/~! animal
: poisoning neighbor and our vulnerable feral cats. The people here
were
: most
: helpful in offering suggestions both in saving the cats (which I'm
: terribly
: allergic to) and taking vengence upon my scum of the earth neighbor
: (although we're moving, I'm planning a fairwell gift that will keep on
: giving, a couple of Southern Mulberry trees).
: Cheers
: Jack
:
:
:
: Jack,
: I'm going to approach this from a different perspective than the other
: messages I have read -- that is, please don't plant the southern
mulberry
: trees. I understand and sympathize with the motivation behind this
: threat.
: However, this will be more than a "gift" to the neighbor who took such
: cruel
: action against the feral cats. You would also be taking vengeance
against
: the new owners of your house and against any other neighbors in the
: vicinity. In other words, you would not be able to direct this
: retribution
: only against the offender.
:
: MaryL
:
: OK, point to you, Mary ;-) I'll forego getting the Southern (white)
: Mulberry and you're right; it really is a nasty plant, as I discovered in
my
: attempts to locate a source. The common, garden variety Mulberry,
however,
: is a delight to all birdkind and a bit messy for only a short time. They
: are not at all uncommon in yards about these parts, so planting a couple
of
: them wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary. I have two at my place in
: Belleville.
: Cheers,
: Jack
: PS-- I'll have surpluss funds, after I buy the new place. Can I use it to
: have this SUMBITCH beaten to a bloody pulp?????
:
:

Old August 24th 03, 07:57 AM
JHBennett

Just playing a game in my mind, Pam. I think the shrinks call it venting.
The real joy would be seeing him actually being arrested for some of the
stunts he's pulled, but the authorities have little interest in pursuing the
two cases of law violation I have against him. Which reminds me, I need to
check with the police and see if they were able to recover fingerprint
evidence of some vandalism he pulled. It could lead to something.
Otherwise, I know he'll be fuming when I have my lawyer tell him to move
his fence this Winter.
The birds have been a big help and it's amusing to watch them move their
cars around, trying to find a place to park that's out of harm's way.
About a week ago, there was so much bird do-do on his white Cadillac that I
felt guilty about it... until I recalled all of the animals he's poisoned.
Rattler is doing his part. When Mother was in ICU, I packed him off to
a kennel for almost 2 weeks. Rattler is a mixed hound and likes to bay in
the night. At the moment, he's howling under their bedroom window--it's
1:30 in the morning--making up for lost time. Use to be we'd go out and
call Rattler in, so he wouldn't disturb them.
I really am determined to rack him up hard, but in completely legal
ways.
I'll keep everybody advised of how it plays out in the months ahead ;-)
Jack
"Tanada" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:

OK, point to you, Mary ;-) I'll forego getting the Southern (white)
Mulberry and you're right; it really is a nasty plant, as I discovered

in my
attempts to locate a source. The common, garden variety Mulberry,

however,
is a delight to all birdkind and a bit messy for only a short time.

They
are not at all uncommon in yards about these parts, so planting a couple

of
them wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary. I have two at my place

in
Belleville.
Cheers,
Jack
PS-- I'll have surpluss funds, after I buy the new place. Can I use it

have this SUMBITCH beaten to a bloody pulp?????

Jack, get a really good, and cheap revenge. After it's all over and the
bugger can't do anything further to you, send him a thank you card. Let
him know that he saved you thousands of dollars. Let him know that
because of him, you are now living in a much nicer place than when you
lived next to him. Don't put your new address on it. Let him stew, if
he doesn't already know where your new house is, thinking that you're
driving around his neighborhood either out of habit, or to rub it in.
Send him a picture of a Porsche with you sitting in the driver's seat.
I'm sure some car dealer would help you out. Make him suffer in the
best way. . . his ego.

Diabolically yours,

Pam S.