Horse sense (OT)(Long)

Old May 9th 04, 09:13 PM

David Yehudah wrote:

That reminds me of when my son was a teenager, he saw Bruce Lee in the
movies fighting with Num Chucks, also known as Nunchaku. I was sitting
reading the paper and DJ was standing in front of me whipping those
things about. I couldn't see what he was doing, but the sound effects
cracked me up: "Whish, whish, thump, Owwww."

Wow, you certainly were a tolerant parent! I can't even imagine my father
letting me play with something like that in the house, let alone with him
in range! And my parents weren't overly strict - they just didn't like
fast-moving objects flying around the house.

Glad you survived! (And that your son did, too. )

Joyce
Old May 10th 04, 12:41 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old May 10th 04, 12:41 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old May 10th 04, 02:51 PM
TBird

While this was an absolutely hysterically funny story....

Ummm.... has your wife doen groundwork before? It seems it was all new to
her the way you tell the story. And the horse getting close enough to nudge
her is actually a potentially dangerous habit.

I've been to several classes with trainers, and groundwork is still
something I have to work at. I use a lariat rather than a whip; for one
think it makes more noise against my hip, I can wave it to get the horse
moving, and I can throw part of it if they don't do as asked. AND, I never
risk snapping myself in the butt with it. ;-)

TBird --- strong believe in horse training classes for horse trainers ;-)

"David Yehudah" wrote in message
My DW gives me so much entertainment it ought to be illegal.

Some of you may recall I got her a horse for her birthday, almost
exactly the color of the Budweiser Beer horses, but smaller. Patty gets
a big kick out of riding him, because he is a professionally trained
Tennessee Walker and has a great gait, according to DW; to me he feels
as if I'm riding a bicycle over railroad tracks.

Anywho, another lady who boards her Walker the same place we do is a
real expert with them. The other day we were out there and this lady
gets her horse out in the big arena and starts putting him through his
paces. She has a big horsewhip and really makes him work. Patty and I
both notice what a beautiful gait he has at a brisk canter. Just gorgeous.

Well, nothing would do Patty but she's gotta do that. But she doesn't
want to use the whip because she thinks it's cruel; she doesn't realize
that that the whip is just for noise. It never touches the animal. So
she gets her horse, Sneakers, out in the arena and tries to make him run
by throwing her hands up in the air and shouting, "Run!" Sneakers
responds by slowing down to a plodding walk. Before long Patty is worn
plumb out, all hot and sweaty, and the horse is so bored he's about to
fall asleep on his feet.

I explain to Patty about how the whip works, so she jumps in the car and
drives over to the feed store and buys a big horse whip.

Any of you ever try to make a whip crack? :-) Patty gets out there in
the middle of the arena, faces Sneakers with this "I'm the boss around
here" look on her face, slowly snakes the end of the whip over her
shoulder, and gives herself a crack on the right butt cheek that neither
she, Sneakers, nor I will ever forget.

And then she gets mad at me! She comes storming toward me to give me a
piece of her mind (as if she could spare it), I'm standing there with a
straight face, and the horse comes up behind her and gives her a nudge
almost strong enough to knock her off her feet.

That's when I lost it; I fell to my knees and wrapped my arms around her
knees, and tell her please not to hit me with that whip, because if she
tries she'll hit herself again and get me in real trouble.

Old May 10th 04, 03:08 PM
TBird

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:34:25 -0700, David Yehudah
wrote:

[...]

Well, of course she was mad, it was obviously your fault ;-)
She comes storming toward me to give me a
piece of her mind (as if she could spare it), I'm standing there with a
straight face, and the horse comes up behind her and gives her a nudge
almost strong enough to knock her off her feet.

That's when I lost it; I fell to my knees and wrapped my arms around her
knees, and tell her please not to hit me with that whip, because if she
tries she'll hit herself again and get me in real trouble.

Perhaps you might suggest of crop instead of a whip

A crop is for riding.
They were attempting groundwork, sounds like.

TBird ---- a little worried

ROTFL
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old May 10th 04, 04:11 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:51:36 GMT, "TBird"
yodeled:

While this was an absolutely hysterically funny story....

Ummm.... has your wife doen groundwork before? It seems it was all new to
her the way you tell the story. And the horse getting close enough to nudge
her is actually a potentially dangerous habit.

I've been to several classes with trainers, and groundwork is still
something I have to work at. I use a lariat rather than a whip; for one
think it makes more noise against my hip, I can wave it to get the horse
moving, and I can throw part of it if they don't do as asked. AND, I never
risk snapping myself in the butt with it. ;-)

TBird --- strong believe in horse training classes for horse trainers ;-)

I envy you. I am a big city girl, but I am lucky enough to live very
close to a riding stable, where I go visit the horses often.
The horses are like local celebrities-- along with being ridden and
cooed over by teenage girls, they are regularly visited by the tiny
people of a nearby day-care center. They (the horses) really seem to
enjoy this attention.
I swung by this very morning on my run, and saw little Oreo, a pinto
Shetland, out in the mini-paddock. He's a very affable little guy,
and will put up with scratching and cooing even if you don't have any
carrots.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old May 10th 04, 06:39 PM
Bridget

David Yehudah wrote:

I have been known to use artistic license on occasion. :-)

On occasion?!? Oh, yeah, you're using that artistic license again.