the "loaf of bread" pose

Old January 7th 04, 10:28 PM
Governor George Liquor

Default the "loaf of bread" pose

When a cat sits with his legs tucked under him, and his tail wrapped around
his back legs, looking much like a loaf of bread, is his mood good, bad, or
indifferent? Jack, and to a lesser extent Rizzo, will pose like this in
various places around the house. Usually it's when they're on the tired
side. Jack's doing it more often, and I once heard depressed cats sit like
this, so I want to make sure he's not being puny.

Old January 8th 04, 03:08 AM
Az

I have one that does it when she's content so I don't nessarily think it's a
depressed pose.

Old January 8th 04, 03:08 AM
Az

Old January 8th 04, 04:31 AM
Sherry

When a cat sits with his legs tucked under him, and his tail wrapped around
his back legs, looking much like a loaf of bread, is his mood good, bad, or
indifferent? Jack, and to a lesser extent Rizzo, will pose like this in
various places around the house. Usually it's when they're on the tired
side. Jack's doing it more often, and I once heard depressed cats sit like
this, so I want to make sure he's not being puny.

Has it turned colder recently where you live? Sometimes the cats here sit like
that, or curl up in a tight ball when the room is cold.

Sherry

Old January 8th 04, 05:54 AM
CajunPrincess

"Governor George Liquor" wrote in message .com...
When a cat sits with his legs tucked under him, and his tail wrapped around
his back legs, looking much like a loaf of bread, is his mood good, bad, or
indifferent? Jack, and to a lesser extent Rizzo, will pose like this in
various places around the house. Usually it's when they're on the tired
side. Jack's doing it more often, and I once heard depressed cats sit like
this, so I want to make sure he's not being puny.

If you are referring to what is often called the "meatloaf" position,
all cats sit that way AFAIK from time to time. I do know that
sometimes cats with CRF who are "crashing" will sit that way because
they can't get comfortable lying on their sides; I think there can be
other things wrong with cats which will cause them to sit that way for
the same reason. Based on my experience, if that's happening you can
tell it because the cat will be constantly shifting positions trying
to get comfortable. For the most part, though, sitting that way is
part of their normal behavior.

Old January 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Judy F

We've always called it the "battleship" position! All my cats have done it
at one time or another, and often it seems to be an intermediate stage of
rest (before they really conk out) when they can still crack open an eye or
twist an ear to see what's going on...

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
in article , CajunPrincess

at
wrote on 1/7/04 11:54 PM:

[...]

Yeah it's pretty normal. When Sugar wasn't feeling well though, she would
meatloaf like that with her nose toward a wall and seem to concentrate
intensely. Seems she was nauseated. however, she did it *all* day. I knew
something was up. She will do it normally at other times for short

periods.

Karen