How to increase caloric intake

Old January 8th 04, 03:51 PM
Dennis Carr

Default How to increase caloric intake

So Neresse is *slowly* getting better. The Rx a/d helped her a bit, and
she's munching on kibble off and on, and seems to primarily enjoy bits of
raw ground beef (70% lean). Fortunately, she's drinking water again.

But, naturally, she's still very skinny. It's granted that, after one
winds up starving, they won't recover right away, but I'd like to increase
her caloric intake, and she seems to abhor things like Nutrical. Any
suggestions?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old January 8th 04, 06:51 PM
beth

Dennis Carr wrote in message . ..
So Neresse is *slowly* getting better. The Rx a/d helped her a bit, and
she's munching on kibble off and on, and seems to primarily enjoy bits of
raw ground beef (70% lean). Fortunately, she's drinking water again.

But, naturally, she's still very skinny. It's granted that, after one
winds up starving, they won't recover right away, but I'd like to increase
her caloric intake, and she seems to abhor things like Nutrical. Any
suggestions?

I seem to remember a supplement that Vets give to nursing cats and
sick cats...my cat had it once but it was too long ago to remember.

One thing my cats never refuse is baby food turkey (in the small jars,
Gerber). It is also easy to digest.

HTH
Beth

Old January 9th 04, 11:55 AM
MaryL

"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news

But, naturally, she's still very skinny. It's granted that, after one
winds up starving, they won't recover right away, but I'd like to increase
her caloric intake, and she seems to abhor things like Nutrical. Any
suggestions?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.
------------------------------------+-------------------------------

Duffy was much too thin when I adopted him, so I started him on Innova
canned food. It has higher caloric count than most cat food, and he gained
weight steadily (and more rapidly than I expected). Once he reached the
desired weight, I changed to Wellness canned and Felidae canned. It did
take awhile to convince him to eat canned food. He had eaten dried food
exclusively at the shelter -- a mixture of "whatever was donated."

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)