Shelters

Old June 6th 05, 10:17 PM
bigbadbarry

"Mary"

Well, thinking is good. Phil, by the way, puts a lot of hours
into rescuing cats and kittens. And saves lots of kitty lives here, with

his
good advice. Like me, he can be a little blunt when riled.

You're gonna defend that garbage? It's a legitamate question.

Lets put things into perspective. How many people headed to a shelter are
gonna check out thier news reader prior to going, as if any web search is
not already littered with advice. Bottom line, people are going to do what
they want.

Phil is just an ass, and your defending it?

Talk about a snake pit.

Old June 6th 05, 10:21 PM
bigbadbarry

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1118092008.336865f26f7b7ee57ca23d755a8fd7a3@t eranews...

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:

Try thinking before you type mindlessly.

come again

Well, thinking is good. Phil, by the way, puts a lot of hours
into rescuing cats and kittens. And saves lots of kitty lives here, with

his
good advice. Like me, he can be a little blunt when riled.

Well in the name of his volunteering it is ok to be an ass?

Hell for all he knows, I live down the street from him, know of his work,
and wanted to donate
$100,000.00 dollars to the shelter of his choice.

My point is, your much to brilliant to be defending that level of ignorance.

Phil is just plain ol stupid - You may as well except it.

--
Barry

.... Women and cats are both black at night. - Bosnia ...

Old June 6th 05, 10:32 PM
Phil P.

Phil P. wrote:

Try thinking before you type mindlessly.

come again

Well, thinking is good. Phil, by the way, puts a lot of hours
into rescuing cats and kittens. And saves lots of kitty lives here, with

his
good advice. Like me, he can be a little blunt when riled.

Well in the name of his volunteering it is ok to be an ass?

It sure is ok to slam assholes like you who make my work more difficult.

Hell for all he knows, I live down the street from him,

I seriously doubt that-

know of his work,
and wanted to donate
$100,000.00 dollars to the shelter of his choice.

My guess is you don't have two nickles to rub together.

My point is, your much to brilliant to be defending that level of

ignorance.

Phil is just plain ol stupid - You may as well except it.

If I'm stupid- you have the intelligence of an ameba. What's the matter?
You couldn't put your thoughts into one post? LOL! You haven't posted *one*
tid bit of actual useful information *ever*. This group is nothing more
than a chat room for you.

Why not take you babbling to alt.cats- you'll fit right in.

Old June 6th 05, 10:42 PM
bigbadbarry

Phil P. wrote:

Why not take you babbling to alt.cats- you'll fit right in.

Well why not educate a soul rather than spueing the first thing in your
mind...this is a good example of typing before you think.

Who do you think I am, just a ameba with a computer. If that's your
final answer then; what good are you to this group.

How is my questioning making your job harder?

but wait don't answer; I really don't care to converse with someone as
ignorant as you are. One can be book smart but still be full of
ignorance.

Old June 6th 05, 11:02 PM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message

"Mary"

Well, thinking is good. Phil, by the way, puts a lot of hours
into rescuing cats and kittens. And saves lots of kitty lives here, with

his
good advice. Like me, he can be a little blunt when riled.

You're gonna defend that garbage? It's a legitamate question.

It is a legitimate question. It is just that Phil's concerns are legitimate
too.

Lets put things into perspective. How many people headed to a shelter are
gonna check out thier news reader prior to going, as if any web search is
not already littered with advice. Bottom line, people are going to do what
they want.

Maybe. But think about the good that shelters do, almost always
operating on donated funds. So many cats would suffer and die
without the good work they do. I would think twice before suggesting
that there is any reason *not* to adopt a cat from a shelter.

Phil is just an ass, and your defending it?

Phil is "just an ass" when he disagrees with you. He is a Godsend
when your cat is sick, and a cornucopia of good information for
keeping your cat from getting sick. Then he is a very valuable,
helpful ass.

Talk about a snake pit.

Barry, you know very well that you frequently post without thinking
through the implications of your words. Hence "crazy pills." If you
are going to do that, you may expect strong reactions at times.

Old June 6th 05, 11:03 PM
bigbadbarry

The public acquires only
14% of its pets from shelters
48% get their pets as strays, from friends, from animal rescuers,
38% get their pets from breeders or pet stores
Source: The Humane Society of the United States

Between 4 and 15 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year ~ this is
just an educated guess by
Source: The Humane Society of the United States

How the pets get to the shelters.

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted by animal
control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.

"Some of the reasons pet owners cited for giving up their pets to shelters
may be resolved through educational or other types of programs,"

Salman said. "Most of the problems are really not with the animals, but
rather with pet owners who may not be knowledgeable enough about or prepared
for the realities of owning a pet."
National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy

I agree, the truth is, I was headed for my local shelter today and see if I
could volunteer several days a week.
Or even just on saturdays.

I know many of you volunteer, and just wanted to get some feedback about it.
I'm sure you understand my reasons for asking about viruses. I'm not trying
to injure the meager 14% of people who get thier pets from a shelter.(see
not above)

Old June 6th 05, 11:04 PM
Phil P.

Phil P. wrote:

Why not take you babbling to alt.cats- you'll fit right in.

Well why not educate a soul

Can't teach a person common sense. Common sense is like rhythm- either you
have it or you don't-- and you don't.

rather than spueing the first thing in your
mind...this is a good example of typing before you think.

I did think- the more I thought about it the more I realized how stupid and
dangerous your asinine comment was.

Who do you think I am, just a ameba with a computer.

No, an ameba has more sense than you.

If that's your
final answer then; what good are you to this group.

None- when I'm wasting my time on a mindless moron like you.

How is my questioning making your job harder?

Because you're spreading fear about shelter cats, you ****ing moron.

but wait don't answer; I really don't care to converse with someone as
ignorant as you are.

Oh, yes... you're a real wiz! LOL! You haven't posted a single piece of
useful information since you've been here. All you do is blabber.

One can be book smart but still be full of
ignorance.

My book smarts are backed up with experience and common sense. You have
neither.

Old June 6th 05, 11:06 PM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
Then I wonder if there is a chance these germs can be passed to humans.

Most of the pandemic viruses that humans have suffered from came from
animals.

My mother-in-law suggested that I caught a viral ear infection
from my cat. (She does not like cats. I like cats better than I
like her.)

My doctor AND my vet said "horse ****."

Old June 6th 05, 11:10 PM
bigbadbarry

k.net...

Phil P. wrote:

[...]

Good heavens man, get a hold of yourself
Act like you got some sense about you.
Your embarassing yourself.

How educated is it of you to call a complete stranger, a ****ing moron. sha!

I stagger to say this (in light of your hospitalities), but I do appreciate
the work you do at any shelter.

Old June 7th 05, 12:12 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 06:03:52p, bigbadbarry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

The public acquires only
14% of its pets from shelters
48% get their pets as strays, from friends, from animal
rescuers,

snip

I'm not trying to injure the meager 14% of people
who get thier pets from a shelter.(see not above)

Why don't you go on and do some more research, and tell us where
animal rescue organizations acquire their cats.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields