Shelters

Old June 7th 05, 12:19 AM
KellyH

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
The public acquires only
14% of its pets from shelters
48% get their pets as strays, from friends, from animal rescuers,
38% get their pets from breeders or pet stores
Source: The Humane Society of the United States

snip

I know many of you volunteer, and just wanted to get some feedback about
it.
I'm sure you understand my reasons for asking about viruses. I'm not
trying
to injure the meager 14% of people who get thier pets from a shelter.(see
not above)

Feedback about what? About the stats? Obviously, I feel the shelter number
should be much higher.
If you are asking about whether or not shelter cats often go home with
illnesses, the answer is, I don't know any hard stats about that. All I can
go by is antecdotal. Most of the time, when I adopt out a cat, it's fine.
Coming down with a URI is common, but I wouldn't say the majority of cats
get one.
At the shelter I am with, all cats and dogs are examined by the vet
thoroughly before being put up for adoption. The vet also does a
walk-through of the shelter once a week, and volunteers note any signs of
illness and the vet follows up on those. I think our shelter does way more
vetting than most. Many shelters just note that a cat has yeast in its
ears, for example, and make the new owner aware. We treat for it, and if
someone wants to adopt the cat, he is sent home with the medication.
As for your observation that posts on this group seem to indicate that
shelter cats go home sick, well, this is a group for cat health and
behavior. People don't usually come on here to annouce that they just got a
cat and there are no health problems.

--
-Kelly

Old June 7th 05, 01:34 AM
Phil P.

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
The public acquires only
14% of its pets from shelters
48% get their pets as strays, from friends, from animal rescuers,

Brilliant. We *are* animal rescuers; we get 98% of our animals from
kill-shelters as do many, many animal rescue organizations. Most people
consider animal rescue organizations shelters, too.

I'm not trying
to injure the meager 14% of people who get thier pets from a shelter

Its not the people you're hurting, Einstein, its the *cats* who won't get
adopted because of stupid comments like yours.

Btw, that 'meager 14%' translates into *millions* of cats.

You might want to spend more time researching and less time babbling
dangerous nonsense.

Old June 7th 05, 01:35 AM
Phil P.

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
k.net...

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:

Why not take you babbling to alt.cats- you'll fit right in.

Well why not educate a soul

Can't teach a person common sense. Common sense is like rhythm- either

you
have it or you don't-- and you don't.

rather than spueing the first thing in your
mind...this is a good example of typing before you think.

I did think- the more I thought about it the more I realized how stupid

and
dangerous your asinine comment was.

Who do you think I am, just a ameba with a computer.

No, an ameba has more sense than you.

If that's your
final answer then; what good are you to this group.

None- when I'm wasting my time on a mindless moron like you.

How is my questioning making your job harder?

Because you're spreading fear about shelter cats, you ****ing moron.

but wait don't answer; I really don't care to converse with someone as
ignorant as you are.

Oh, yes... you're a real wiz! LOL! You haven't posted a single piece of
useful information since you've been here. All you do is blabber.

One can be book smart but still be full of
ignorance.

My book smarts are backed up with experience and common sense. You have
neither.

Good heavens man, get a hold of yourself
Act like you got some sense about you.
Your embarassing yourself.

Yeah... I'm blushing all over. LOL! The only thing I should be embarrased
over is trying get through to an idiot with no common sense.

How educated is it of you to call a complete stranger, a ****ing moron.

sha!

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said "****ing", eh?

You're not a stranger, I've been reading your blabbering for weeks so I know
you're a moron.

I stagger to say this (in light of your hospitalities), but I do

appreciate
the work you do at any shelter.

Then don't make the job for those of us who work with shelters harder by
perpetuating fear of adopting shelter cats.

Old June 7th 05, 01:52 AM
bigbadbarry

Cheryl wrote:

snip
Why don't you go on and do some more research, and tell us where
animal rescue organizations acquire their cats.

--
Cheryl

I did..it's up there where you snipped it out.

here I'll put it back.

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted by
animal control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.
The Humane Society of the United States

Old June 7th 05, 01:56 AM
Mary

Cheryl wrote:

snip
Why don't you go on and do some more research, and tell us where
animal rescue organizations acquire their cats.

--
Cheryl

I did..it's up there where you snipped it out.

here I'll put it back.

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted by
animal control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.
The Humane Society of the United States

Oh, cool. Now you have had a taste of Cheryl Logic.

lol

Old June 7th 05, 02:02 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 08:52:09p, bigbadbarry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

Cheryl wrote:

snip
Why don't you go on and do some more research, and tell us
where animal rescue organizations acquire their cats.

--
Cheryl

I did..it's up there where you snipped it out.

here I'll put it back.

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted
by animal control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.
The Humane Society of the United States

Barry, that doesn't answer the question and you know it. You're
trying to say that only 14% of people get their cats from
"shelters" and you apparently don't even know what the meaning of
"shelter" is. You'll see when you read Phil's post.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with
baited breath." - W.C. Fields
Old June 7th 05, 02:02 AM
bigbadbarry

Phil P. wrote:

You might want to spend more time researching and less time babbling
dangerous nonsense.

I said I was fixin to work at a shelter numb nuts
don't give me that moral superiority crap

I said

I did not want to injure the 14%

You big dumb ass

Keep on slinging mud! keep on.

Your gonna find out I'm a rock, your gonna fall on me, and your gonna
get your feelings broke.

Old June 7th 05, 02:04 AM
KellyH

Cheryl wrote:

snip
Why don't you go on and do some more research, and tell us where
animal rescue organizations acquire their cats.

--
Cheryl

"bigbadbarry" wrote

I did..it's up there where you snipped it out.

here I'll put it back.

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted by
animal control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.
The Humane Society of the United States

I thought she meant the animal rescue orgs that were included in this line:
"48% get their pets as strays, from friends, from animal rescuers,"
As Phil said, many animal rescue orgs get their animals from municipal
shelters. I don't really understand why animal rescue is not included in
the shelters. I'm not sure if where I volunteer would be considered a
shelter or animal rescue. It's both.

--
-Kelly

Old June 7th 05, 02:04 AM
bigbadbarry

Mary wrote:

Oh, cool. Now you have had a taste of Cheryl Logic.

lol

Rub it in Mary
My head is so thick when am I going to learn.

You said one day, there are enemy's worthy of our weapons.

I like that.

Old June 7th 05, 02:13 AM
bigbadbarry

KellyH wrote:
[...]

I hear ya about the sickness, this is what I was interested in hearing
first hand. It was hitting on 5 oclock by the time I was able to head
towards my local shelter, but I'll pay them a visit.

To tell you the truth, any common sicknesses that a shelter may
contribute to a cat, that does not bother me; it sounds highly
treatable and well..common.
Meaning it's probably very easy to remedy - Just that I had never
thought about it. Even a hospitol keeps you as little as possible,
they'll tell you up front, a well man could get ill around a hospitol.

I'm an extremeist, I don't see many things as being impossible, and I
am usually an ice breaker when it comes to ideas and or especially the
hands on.

I don't even know that they want my help, I've been to a shelter one
time looking for a friends dog.