Which food for a fat cat?

Old September 5th 05, 08:10 PM
John Doe

"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:
"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:
"5cats" CatFan invalid.com wrote in message

The cat is 23 pounds and really should be about 20 pounds.
Let's suppose the only two food choices available are
Science Diet Light canned or Hills R/D dry. Which of *those
two* would you choose? (and why?)

Neither... Science Diet Light is a preventative weight
control diet (and not a particularly effective one at that)-
its *not* a weight loss diet. R/d is a high-fiber diet that
carries additional risks of its own. Cats eating high-fiber
diets *must* be *well* hydrated to prevent the fiber from
impacting in the colon which can result in intractable
constipation.

I've always heard that fiber does exactly the opposite of that.

Fiber absorbs water in the colon. If the cat doesn't drink
enough water

Always drink enough. Always do enough. Never do too little. Yada
yada yada.

the fiber will become impacted in the colon. But that's way
over your head.

It is beyond my reasoning. I would think fiber absorbs a lot of
water before it gets to the colon.

If what Phil says is true, does that apply to humans as well? I
have never before heard anything like that.

Methinks Phil is a troll giving bad medical advice.

That's because you're a know-nothing moron and can't tell the
difference between a hairball and a turd without tasting it.

That is an example of Phil's usual knee-jerk, tough guy wanna-be,
hysterically laughing at his own remarks (typical), reaction to
correction. So don't correct him and expect civilized
conversation.

From: "Phil P." phil maxshouse.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.med.veterinary
Subject: Which food for a fat cat?
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:26:53 -0400

Old September 5th 05, 08:28 PM
5cats

John Doe wrote:

5cats wrote:
John Doe wrote:
5cats wrote:

The cat is 23 pounds and really should be about 20 pounds.

Have you tried putting dry food some place where the cat has to
get a tiny amount of exercise with each nibble? A carpet
covered 2x4 is good for that.

Anyway, I'm not clear on how you'd set up the 2x4 and food. Are
you talking about standing it on end? Or up off the floor, but
lengthwise like a gymnastics balance beam?

Just find some place to put dry food high up off of the floor.
Then lean your carpeted 2x4 up against that structure so the
cat(s) can get up there whenever he is hungry. (People who have
disabled their cat by removing its claws might be able to do the
same with a ladder/stair structure.)

I find that especially useful when your cat runs to the food bowl
every time you move or turnaround. That way, instead of putting
their head in the food bowl, they (hopefully) just run to the
bottom of the 2x4 and look longing at you from there. At least
they will get more exercise and gain strength.

Making your cat get a tiny amount of exercise for each bite makes
sense, considering how well your cat is able to climb and whether
it is eating enough.

I'll have to think about what I could rig up. George eats in the
kitchen. I've always told the cats that they aren't allowed up on the
kitchen table or counter so I'd need to find some other small table or
cabinet.

Old September 5th 05, 08:49 PM
Jason

In article , John Doe
wrote:

"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:
"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:
"5cats" CatFan invalid.com wrote in message

The cat is 23 pounds and really should be about 20 pounds.
Let's suppose the only two food choices available are
Science Diet Light canned or Hills R/D dry. Which of *those
two* would you choose? (and why?)

Neither... Science Diet Light is a preventative weight
control diet (and not a particularly effective one at that)-
its *not* a weight loss diet. R/d is a high-fiber diet that
carries additional risks of its own. Cats eating high-fiber
diets *must* be *well* hydrated to prevent the fiber from
impacting in the colon which can result in intractable
constipation.

Hello,
We once had a cat that was really fat. I advise you to visit a store that
has lots of different types of cat food. Check the labels and buy cat
foods that have a low amount of fat. The secret is to only feed the cat
the proper amount of food regardless of how many times the cat begs you
for food. It's even worse with dogs because they beg even more than cats
even if they are really fat. Just ignor the cat when it begs for food.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old September 5th 05, 08:53 PM
Phil P.

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

That's right, moron.

the fiber will become impacted in the colon. But that's way
over your head.

It is beyond my reasoning.

I know. Most things are beyond your reasoning. You're not the brightest
bulb in the lamp. Most people who've been reading your posts for awhile
probably realize that. Although putting your cat in a plastic bag and
hanging it from a fish scale was your most memorable demonstration of your
monumental stupidity.

I would think fiber absorbs a lot of
water before it gets to the colon.

Fiber absorbs water in the colon- that's why it also helps correct diarrhea.
But if the cat isn't well hydrated fiber can cause constipation. Do some
research so you don't make a fool of yourself every time you post- although
I think its a little late to worry about that.

If what Phil says is true, does that apply to humans as well? I
have never before heard anything like that.

Like I said, that because you're a know-nothing moron. Its quite obvious
that you haven't heard of many things regarding cats.

Methinks Phil is a troll giving bad medical advice.

That's because you're a know-nothing moron and can't tell the
difference between a hairball and a turd without tasting it.

That is an example of Phil's usual knee-jerk, tough guy wanna-be,

MeThinks your an insecure, paranoid, little wimp in RL because you find
people more knowledgeable than you threatening. Your usual barrage of
"toll"
posts to everyone who says something you don't like shows you have a very
fragile and shallow personality.

hysterically laughing at his own remarks (typical), reaction to
correction.

What 'correction', moron? LOL! You've just been educated but you're too
stupid to realize it.

So don't correct him and expect civilized

conversation.

I see you're too stupid to realize that you came at me first with your
mindless "troll" remark. When you mess with a bull don't whine and complain
when you get the horns.

Old September 5th 05, 09:18 PM
5cats

Jason wrote:

Hello,
We once had a cat that was really fat. I advise you to visit a store

that
has lots of different types of cat food. Check the labels and buy cat
foods that have a low amount of fat. The secret is to only feed the cat
the proper amount of food regardless of how many times the cat begs you
for food. It's even worse with dogs because they beg even more than

cats
even if they are really fat. Just ignor the cat when it begs for food.
Jason

Just ignore him? Have you ever had a 23 pound cat determined to wake you
for breakfast at 5 A.M.? If only it were that easy.

Anyway, he's only had Science Diet or Hill's foods ever since his first
urinary tract problems years ago. Even a small portion of regular
Friskies or Cat Chow and he starts to have problems.

I will be talking to our vet about this too, the next time one of the
cats needs to go in for a check up.
Old September 5th 05, 09:26 PM

John Doe wrote:
risks of its own. Cats eating high-fiber diets *must* be *well*
hydrated to prevent the fiber from impacting in the colon which
can result in intractable constipation.

I've always heard that fiber does exactly the opposite of that.

Nope, you heard wrong. Look up almost human site that deals with fiber.
It's strongly, strongly recommended extra water be consumed to prevent
impaction in humans. Why? Without extra water, that fiber will be like
concrete.

This is true for both insoluble and soluble fiber.

In fact, just read the labels on the Metamucil in the store. It
definitely says to keep the water intake up.

It's not that simple. Too much fiber without water will give you and
impacted colon. Read the web sites and the medical literature. They
both say the same thing.

Some people misconceive that liquids relieve constipation.

Without water, you can't get things bulked up and moving. The medical
sites are now stressing liquids, but specific liquids. LIKE WATER.
Other liquids, like coffee or cokes will actually dehydrate the water
out of the body and can be quite detrimental with the water loss.

So you're half right. The wrong liquids will make constipation worse.
The right liquid, simple water, is crucial.

Methinks Phil is a troll giving bad medical advice.

Nope. You're just either not up to date or have not read much in the
medical area. Are you sure you are not the troll? I think you owe Phil
an apology since what you said is diametrically wrong.

Old September 5th 05, 10:32 PM
Phil P.

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." phil maxshouse.com wrote:

Cats eating high-fiber diets *must* be *well*
hydrated to prevent the fiber from impacting in the colon which
can result in intractable constipation.

I've always heard that fiber does exactly the opposite of that.

Some people misconceive that liquids relieve constipation.

Methinks Phil is a troll giving bad medical advice.

Here ya go Bozo, from Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy, Vol. XIII, p 648:
(the most highly respected veterinary medical text in print)

"Cats should be well hydrated before commencing fiber supplementation to
maximize the therapeutic effect and to minimize the impaction of fiber in
the constipated colon."

Robert J. Washabau,V.M.D., Ph.D., DipL A.C.V.I.M.
Professor and Section Chief of Medicine,
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine,
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Old September 6th 05, 01:18 AM
Steve Crane

Phil P. wrote:
Use a regular maintenance diet and reduce his caloric intake by 25% and you
shouldn't have any problems

I have to disagree with this idea. Pet foods are set to distribute
required nutrients based on caloric intake. If the cat is to have an
intake of X Vitamin A per day at X weight, reducing the portions by 25%
also reduces all nutrients involved along with the reduction in
calories. Foods designed for weight loss compensate for nutrients by
insuring sufficent levels of all the various nutrients at a reduced
caloric intake.

Certainly it is true that most - but not all - pet foods contain
sufficent overages of all the vitamins etc, but using just and regular
maintenance food does not insure sufficent levels of all the various
nurients needed. It is best to use a dedicated weight loss diet for
weight loss.

Old September 6th 05, 01:27 AM
Steve Crane

Phil P. wrote:
The *only* weight loss program that has been *proven* to be effective over
the long term is caloric reduction coupled portion control.

That is incorrect, Feline r/d has several published clinical trials
proving weight loss in both canned and dry forms. The use of high fiber
dry foods has a plethora of published clinical trials from various
companies and university studies. The current fad of feeding canned
food to resolve everything but male pattern baldness has a significant
number of unintended consequences. Less than 3% of all cats will
succumb to crystallurias and the ONLY proven benefit of feeding canned
foods is to move more water through the urine and dilute the urine,
thus reducing risk of crystalluria, FLUDT, cystitis etc. All other
supposed advantages are as yet hypothetical ONLY and there are no peer
reviewed published clinical trials proving otherwise. I am not opposed
to feeding canned foods - personally I feed my cat about half canned
foods, but blind obesiance to the god of canned cat foods leaves us
open to other risks and unintended consequences.

Old September 6th 05, 01:31 AM
misskitty

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
Use a regular maintenance diet and reduce his caloric intake by 25% and

you
shouldn't have any problems

I have to disagree with this idea. Pet foods are set to distribute
required nutrients based on caloric intake. If the cat is to have an
intake of X Vitamin A per day at X weight, reducing the portions by 25%
also reduces all nutrients involved along with the reduction in
calories.

My vet just suggested that I reduce my cat's regular maintencance canned
food by
25% so he can loose weight.