"Star", Melba, and Sylvester (long)

Old January 29th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default "Star", Melba, and Sylvester (long)

LesleyM via CatKB.com wrote:

Susan M wrote:

I was taken aback by the size of her apartment - it is tiny. I am
worried about him being a young outdoor kitty transitioning to a small
apartment. I don't think its ideal.

As opposed to living rough or being PTS? You'd probably think our apartment
too small but with high ceilings the Furballs utilise the "up" dimension as
well

I have two cats in a 435 sq. ft. apartment, and we all
manage just fine! (Even though the older of the two started
life with me in a two bedroom house with an outdoor access
pet door she could use at will.) Cats can adapt happily to
most situations, so long as they have access to food, water,
a litterbox, and plenty of human affection.
Old January 29th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

wrote:
Susan M wrote:

I like that name, too. "Star" is also very cute - both names are good
ones.

I like both too. When he unwinds and stands up with that inherent
regalness that cats have, the name Hunter really suits him with his
golden eyes.

After some time, I left. I was very *very* sad to leave him. I was
surprised by how sad I was. I am still sad.

I'll bet. I would be, too.

I knew I'd be sad - thought I'd be more relieved that he was in a good
place - but I think that I had really bonded with him and it still is
too hard to think about. Just learned something more about myself I
guess - be careful fostering!

I'd say give it a chance. Not all cats get lonely being by themselves.
And she is coming home mid-day to visit him while he adjusts.

Would she consider getting him a buddy if he does get lonely? I know
it's a small space, but if he's lonely, that might be a good solution.
And if she has enough *vertical* space (eg, cat tree, shelves, high
furniture that she would't mind them climbing on), that's probably
more important than floor square-footage (square-meterage?).

I mentioned the buddy thing a few times but I think she's starting
slowly and just getting used to the one. I'd really like him to have a
buddy.

Well, I'm not glad she had that terrible condition, but I am glad to
hear that they had a valid reason for removing her spleen, even if she
doesn't have cancer. For one thing, it means they're more trustworthy
than it sounded, and second, it means she's not going through this ordeal
for nothing. If what they say is true, then it was a necessary surgery.

Purrs for her to continue to get better!

thanks - 3 PM today we'll find out.

Sylvester has been a complete handful at my SIL's dad. He's happy and
loving and all over John - but scratches every item of furniture, jumps
on everything, climbs on everything, and sleeps in the kitchen sink.

They should be glad he's not *peeing* in the sink, like some cats we
know.

That would be too much for my brother!

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 29th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Stormmee wrote:
glad melba is doing well, you will do fine with hunter in a small space, if
she has had cats before then she will know to get him some vertical space if
it is an issue... if I were you the hardest part of this would be staying
away long enough for hunter to bond with the new slave, Lee
Susan M wrote in message

You are so right about the staying away part! I'm being good and trying
not to stalk the poor woman about the cat5.

She's just moved here so she's a little short on cash but there was a
lot to jump around on in the apartment that I could see.

SM
Old January 29th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Marina wrote:

Well, he found you. Maybe he was supposed to be your cat. If it wasn't
for Otis and Sam's allergies and all the rest... {{{Susan}}} You did the
best you could under the circumstances.

thanks Marina - I know I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. One
side saying I can't keep him and the other wishing so much that I could.
I'm clearly befuddled.

Does she have any cat trees? Other pplaces where he's allowed to climb?
I don't think floor space is as important to cats as it is to have many
different levels to hang out and to climb. I lived for over 10 years in
tiny studio apartments with Frank and Nikki. They didn't seem to suffer
from limited floor space.

No cat trees yet but lots of things to climb on as far as furniture
goes. I just wish he had a buddy like Frank and Nikki but I suppose in
good time, she might do that for him too.

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe they did remove it with good cause. We're
still purring for Melba to improve quickly. Sounds like she is doing
very well, considering.

Poor girl. I'm glad that she's getting better too.

LOL! He sounds like a real character. Again, I have to ask, does he have
anything that he's allowed to scratch and climb? Scratching posts, cat
trees? Sounds like he could do with a few of those.

He has all the accessories a good cat can have but just atrocious
manners ;-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 29th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

LesleyM via CatKB.com wrote:
Susan M wrote:

I was taken aback by the size of her apartment - it is tiny. I am
worried about him being a young outdoor kitty transitioning to a small
apartment. I don't think its ideal.

As opposed to living rough or being PTS? You'd probably think our apartment
too small but with high ceilings the Furballs utilise the "up" dimension as
well

I guess that I forget about that other dimension. I think he might like
a friend though for the daytime while she's working. I know my friend
and he'll work her hard!

Melba has made a fairly good recovery so far - surprised my brother and
SIL by eating at about 90% of usual and being fairly perky. I

Good news about Melba

Thank you!

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 29th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I have two cats in a 435 sq. ft. apartment, and we all manage just
fine! (Even though the older of the two started life with me in a two
bedroom house with an outdoor access pet door she could use at will.)
Cats can adapt happily to most situations, so long as they have access
to food, water, a litterbox, and plenty of human affection.

Well, I think she's totally besotted with him for sure. Maybe he will
convince her to get a buddy for him while she's gone.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 29th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
Susan M wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that my time with Star isn't over yet though.

Let's hope Star adapts well to his new home. When we first got Luna and
Maya, we lived in a 700 sq ft (65 sq meters) condo and they did just fine.

Y'all keep talking about two cats :-) I hope she gets him a buddy.

We'll keep purring for Melba.

Thank you!

Sylvester has been a complete handful at my SIL's dad. He's happy and
loving and all over John - but scratches every item of furniture, jumps
on everything, climbs on everything, and sleeps in the kitchen sink. He

Sounds like a keeper!

My brother is quite horrified! I gather that Melba is a prim little
thing who never would think to scratch or climb onto a counter.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 30th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

MaryL wrote:

Don't worry about the size of the apartment. Think about how small a
cat is in comparison to a human. Cats can get plenty of exercise by
running around even a tiny apartment, going up and over furniture, etc.
If she can get a cat tree, that would be ideal -- mine are tall and
sturdy, but they only take up 24" square of floor space.

I think that she should definitely save up for one for sure.

Please *do not even consider* asking for him back. That should now be
Sarah's decision. It would be cruel to both Sarah and her new cat for
your to do that based only on the size of the apartment.

Things seem to be going well for them - I'm posting another update right
now.

SM