OT. Rant

Old November 19th 04, 04:01 AM
Yoj

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
It will be painful for me to fall out with her, but I cannot

tolerate a
racist and bigot. She thinks she is right, and I think I am right.

Racism and bigotry are never right. Never. They have always been used

as
an excuse to opress the minority (and sometimes even a weak majority)

by
those in power.
I just told Tom that if his sister and her husband voted for the
anti-gay ammendment in their state's election, then they are not

welcome
in our house. I'm sorry, but if you find my relationship so repugnant,
that you would vote to inscribe discrimination in your state's
constitution, then I do not want to welcome you into my house.
As an aside, the bible has been used throughout history to justify and
defend many horrible things, from the crusades to slavery in the US

and
the oppresion of women.

--
Victor Martinez

It's really had to have such bigotry in your own family, or its
equivalent. You're right about the Bible. It can be, and has been,
used to prove and/or justify just about everything. :-(
Joy

Old November 19th 04, 04:23 AM
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

This is an example:
Andy Rooney said on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except
numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are
things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment
Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United
Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
Miss White America; and see what happens... Jesse Jackson will be knocking
down your door. Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a
killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are
no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA
BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is
an opinion.

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different,
weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of
the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of
Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a
newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact,
if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries
you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should
have every right to shoot your sorry ass if you threaten them after they
tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in
English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are
qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or
tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or
any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in
wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over
here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their
interpretations.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't
stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue
to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system
that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a
parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when
necessary, and say "NO!"

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't
pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that
new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you
serve me French fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not
a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be
"African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great,
great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and
nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

DON'T PASS IT ON!!

If you would like her email address to mail your opinions about this, I'll
try and find it.
Makes me sick.

Tweed

Old November 19th 04, 05:15 AM

Christina Websell wrote:

I told her I don't want to have a friend who thinks like this. She told me
she doesn't want to have a friend that is ineducable about what is going on
in America.

Ahem. Who is she to tell you what is "going on in America"? I see a lot
of what is going on around here, and it's not all racist, homophobic and
rah-rah Bush, I can tell you that. She has a very narrow view of what
this country is supposed to be about - talk about uneducable.

It will be painful for me to fall out with her, but I cannot tolerate a
racist and bigot.

As I said to Hans about his racist and intolerant girlfriend: you're well
rid of her. I know it's painful to lose a friend, but do you really want
her as a friend? It doesn't even sound enjoyable to have contact with her,
which is what friendship is about. And it's not like you're dumping her at
the first sign of conflict - you've tried to talk to her, but she just gets
more and more narrow-minded, and insulting toward you, too. Do you want a
friend who calls you stupid?

I can't see that being a racist and a bigot is right in any country. She
quotes the Bible at me. I told her that I didn't think God was a bigot.

Jesus was an open-minded, radical thinker who believed society should help
sick and poor people. He died for those opinions, which were threatening
to the powers of the time. And now there are people who, in his name, are
committing (or approving of) the very same atrocities he preached against.

It might be the end of our friendship.

How long were you friends, before all this started coming up? Did you ever
have disagreements before? Any sign that she was going to start trying to
convert you? Or is this a sudden change on her part?

Things have gotten very tense - and intense - around here. Bush's win has
emboldened the bigots - racists, but especially homophobics - to crawl
out from their slimy rocks and assert their "right" to deprive other people
of living their lives how they want to. They cram their religious agenda
down everyone's throat, and then whine that people make fun of them. How
would they like it if Islamic fundamentalists took over this country and
made all the women wear veils? It's not OK to use the political apparatus
to preach your gospel. Go to your place of worship for that.

Come to think of it, I had a nightmare last night that I'd gone away to
a school, and it turned out to be some sort of Christian fundamentalist
school. At some point, they were badgering the non-Christians to convert,
or be killed - and they had locked the place up so nobody could leave, kind
of like the Roach Motel. They hadn't gotten to me yet, and I was trying to
figure out a way of slipping under their radar. It was creepy!

Joyce

Old November 19th 04, 05:16 AM
Jo Firey

. com...
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

That's OK. So have the Torah and the Koran. Also many other documents etc.

Jo

Old November 19th 04, 05:19 AM
Jo Firey

We (the USA) don't take Andy Rooney seriously. No reason for you to either.

The guy makes a buck by saying outrageous controversial things.

Jo

Old November 19th 04, 06:07 AM
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:

I just told Tom that if his sister and her husband voted for the
anti-gay ammendment in their state's election, then they are not welcome
in our house. I'm sorry, but if you find my relationship so repugnant,
that you would vote to inscribe discrimination in your state's
constitution, then I do not want to welcome you into my house.

How sad that you have to deal with that in your own family. Purrs for
you both.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki